XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
hashmanx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Unhappy Replacing leather dash

The lower leather portion of the front dash in my X5 doesn't seem to sit flush with plastic part on the right side as shown in the pic. I didn't notice this before at the time of purchase so I'm not sure if it was like this when I bought it or it has changed over the past few months.

I showed it to my SA the other day and they took it in to try to fix it but couldn't close the gap because according to him the clips on the inside were all in place and just the leather portion seemed to be sagging for some reason.

He said that the only way to "fix" this would be to change the entire dash which they would have to special order. He then took to me to the service area to show me another X5 with its dash taken apart to show how extensive this job would be. It was not a pretty sight with the entire dash removed and the steering column brought down. Seemed like a perfect breeding ground for future rattles/noises.

Although this would be covered under factory warranty, the SA suggested not to get this done as the rest of my dash is perfect and noise free. It doesn't bother me that much but I didn't expect this in a vehicle that costs this much. I'm not sure if this would get worse or stay the same so currently on the fence whether to go ahead with this repair or just let it be. Anyone experience anything like this before?
Attached Images

11 335i, 12 X5 50i, 10 G37x, 09 Legacy, 07 328i, 04 Accord, 05 Santro, 01 Mehran, 99 Caprice, 88 Cressida
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
MyF15+F85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 and 2015 F15

dash

So I'm not the only guy being anal about that stuff.

As much as this would eat me alive........

I have had an issue soft of like that.
My previous X5 had an issue ( small but persistent leak in what they call is a sunroof cassette ) BMW fixed it once..... twice.... three times it was still there, so I fixed it trade in for new one. Why ?
The third time when the job was being done I was actually seeing all the stuff being pulled out of the truck to get the job done. AFTER the so called finished job, let's just say there were more screws left, and no place to fit them, stuff was mis-align broken clips that never got changed ( replaced ).
I was not a happy camper, but I have done it before, I have traded it in, and that was it.

So to make the story short, DON'T touch it.
Warranty or not it will be worse after the fix up, and then you'll be really pissed, and will have to live with it .

Personally I don't like what I see and what I would have done would go to an upholstery shop ( any watercraft , furniture, auto ) I'm sure they could fix it for a funny money, anyway that is my 5 cents
Cheers !
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
hashmanx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myE70 View Post
So I'm not the only guy being anal about that stuff.

As much as this would eat me alive........

I have had an issue soft of like that.
My previous X5 had an issue ( small but persistent leak in what they call is a sunroof cassette ) BMW fixed it once..... twice.... three times it was still there, so I fixed it trade in for new one. Why ?
The third time when the job was being done I was actually seeing all the stuff being pulled out of the truck to get the job done. AFTER the so called finished job, let's just say there were more screws left, and no place to fit them, stuff was mis-align broken clips that never got changed ( replaced ).
I was not a happy camper, but I have done it before, I have traded it in, and that was it.

So to make the story short, DON'T touch it.
Warranty or not it will be worse after the fix up, and then you'll be really pissed, and will have to live with it .

Personally I don't like what I see and what I would have done would go to an upholstery shop ( any watercraft , furniture, auto ) I'm sure they could fix it for a funny money, anyway that is my 5 cents
Cheers !
Yes, you are not alone, there are many of us out there. The severity of anality is directly proportional to the cost of the object one is being anal about. At the time of purchase I noticed an intermittent barely perceptible rattle coming from the rearview mirror base that I pointed out and the CA looked at me like I was nuts and said, "Maybe this is not the right car for you." I still bought it and the rattle never recurred.

Even though it would be quite bothersome seeing this on a daily basis, I think I'll just let this be because I'd go insane from all the rattles, creaks and misalignment from a botched repair.
11 335i, 12 X5 50i, 10 G37x, 09 Legacy, 07 328i, 04 Accord, 05 Santro, 01 Mehran, 99 Caprice, 88 Cressida
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 05:36 AM   #4
BeamerandBimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S63tu

I specifically didn't order the leather dash on my X5 because of issues with my M5. The leather around the windshield defrost vents shrunk revealing the cardboard backing underneath. I had the dash replaced with no ill effects. The leather looks great but I don't think it's as durable as the regular dash material in regards to climate.
Past BMWs;'22M850 Conv, '19 SG M5(ED 5/19),14 Ionic Silver i3, '16 S1000XR, '16 Azurite Black M5, '07 G650X-Challenge, '10 R1200GSA, '15 Mineral Gray M4, '14 S1000R,'10 Alpine White 135ia M-Sport, '13 Carbon Black X5 50i, '10 Carbon Black M5, '07 Graphite K1200GT, '08 335ia, '05 545i, '04 R1150R, '03.5 M3 Cabrio, '00 540ia, '97 M3 sedan, '97 540ia
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
hashmanx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerandBimmer View Post
I specifically didn't order the leather dash on my X5 because of issues with my M5. The leather around the windshield defrost vents shrunk revealing the cardboard backing underneath. I had the dash replaced with no ill effects. The leather looks great but I don't think it's as durable as the regular dash material in regards to climate.
Honestly, I would never have ordered the leather dash if I had bought this new. Ordering the M-sport package would've made much more sense. I don't understand why people even order BMWs with such frivolous "luxury" options and skip on sport packages. I'm in the market for an E92 335i as a second car and finding a nicely optioned vehicle with the M-sport pack is next to impossible. Boggles my mind.

Anyway, I've decided to go with the wait and see approach, if the leather dash gets worse then I'll definitely have it replaced, rattles be damned.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
mille162
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 X5 4.8

proper care of your leather

it sounds to me like the problem is the leather is just aging and starting shrink, this happens to every car. My 1979 928 Porsche had a single piece of leather across the dash that must have used an entire cowhide, and it stated pulling away from the vents within a year. I think many manufacturers learned their lesson as my 2005 Maserati coupe had the top part of the dash cover under the windshield in vinyl with only the dash front in leather (even though I paid a ~$7000 "full leather" upgrade).

My company makes office chairs out of the seats of exotic cars, and due to this, I've probably worked with more car seats than anyone else. 80% of the seats are Ferrari (full leather) and we're actually able to restore them to as new condition. We tried every brand out there and took a cue from the concourse restoration guys and used a product called Leatherique. It's a night and day difference using their product vs. any other leather conditioner you've ever used. It restores the leathers original moisture content in the process of cleaning it, and in turn, "loosens" it up, back to it's original shape. On one of the Ferrari seats with contrast piping, it's way too obvious when the leather starts to dry out and shrink. A 24 treatment of Leatherique and then 4-6 months intervals will keep the leather in it's original shape.

Buy the Leatherique Rejuvinator and use it every 6 months. Use the Leatherique Cleaner product every months or so (just a quick spray and wipe down). You'll see the leather start to stretch back to it's original shape and no more issues with drying out and shrinkage!

-Ron
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #7
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
To the OP.
I understand the feeling when something you pay lots of money for isn't quite up to par. But this is a bit too much, man!
Your vehicle is almost 6 years old, leather can't stay in same state forever.
By the way, take a look at how lower and upper tailgates are misaligned. The doors aren't quite adjusted, the body and door lines differe by few millimeters. That will leave you sleepless at night!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #8
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

My dash is the exact same way, so I don't think you'll gain anything by swapping it out...except for perhaps a few rattles.

I'd chalk it up to handmade charm, and just enjoy the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge1 View Post
To the OP.
      01-24-2014, 11:19 AM   #9
Die Wolfe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5///M

Sorry to jack this thread, but I wish I had a leather dash in my X5M! Anyone know if I could buy this directly from BMW or do I have to get it installed aftermarket?

To the OP, you have an extreme attention to detail! Where is this misalignment? I can't see it in the pics...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #10
mille162
Registered
Rep

keeping it new

Quote:
To the OP.

Take a look at the Leatherique product/treatment, I have seats sitting here from a 1985 Ferrari Testarossa that had maybe 40k miles on it. After 2 treatments, you'd be hard pressed to tell they're not new from the factory. It sounds like one of those snake oil products, but trust me, I treat leather seats for a living and this is the only product I use. Your can keep your leather looking 99% new, regardless of age.

I'm in Philadelphia, if anyone wants to meet up, I'll use some of our supply to treat one of your seats or an area of your dash here and you can see for your self and post the pics online.

PM me for my email or phone number.

-Ron
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 08:21 PM   #11
hashmanx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mille162 View Post
Buy the Leatherique Rejuvinator and use it every 6 months. Use the Leatherique Cleaner product every months or so (just a quick spray and wipe down). You'll see the leather start to stretch back to it's original shape and no more issues with drying out and shrinkage!

-Ron
I bought the Leatherique oil and cleaner a few months ago but haven't had the time to test it out on the car. It works really well on my leather shoes though

One thing I don't understand about Leatherique is its a$$ backwards application philosophy where you apply the oil before the cleaner and it seems very time consuming where one has to soak the seats and let the car bake in the sun for optimum results. I guess the results are worth it. Will find out this summer.

Quote:
To the OP.
I understand the feeling when something you pay lots of money for isn't quite up to par. But this is a bit too much, man!
By the way, take a look at how lower and upper tailgates are misaligned. The doors aren't quite adjusted, the body and door lines differe by few millimeters. That will leave you sleepless at night!
The tailgate is perfectly aligned, and the panel gaps are all perfect as well. Trust me I checked!
And the car is not 6 years old...yet. Don't know where you got that from but mine is a 2012 and it was less than 2 yrs old when I bought it 6 months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzbm3 View Post
My dash is the exact same way, so I don't think you'll gain anything by swapping it out...except for perhaps a few rattles.

I'd chalk it up to handmade charm, and just enjoy the ride.
Love the ride, and now that I only get to drive it on the weekends, I just focus on enjoying the ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Wolfe View Post
Sorry to jack this thread, but I wish I had a leather dash in my X5M! Anyone know if I could buy this directly from BMW or do I have to get it installed aftermarket?

To the OP, you have an extreme attention to detail! Where is this misalignment? I can't see it in the pics...
Right below the side view cam button where the plastic part meets the leather. Look closely
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 08:16 AM   #12
mille162
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmanx View Post
I bought the Leatherique oil and cleaner a few months ago but haven't had the time to test it out on the car. It works really well on my leather shoes though

One thing I don't understand about Leatherique is its a$$ backwards application philosophy where you apply the oil before the cleaner and it seems very time consuming where one has to soak the seats and let the car bake in the sun for optimum results. I guess the results are worth it. Will find out this summer.
Hashmanx: yea, the system seems backwards, but just ignore what they call each product, think of it as stage 1 and stage 2.

Essentially, the "rejuvenator" is a penetrating oil that needs 24 hours to fully soak into the leather. It restores it to it's original moisture content. In the process, it pushes out some dirt to the surface. If your car is 20+ years old and the leather is brittle and cracked, you might want to repeat this step twice. It's an all natural product, so it's safe to work this into your leather with your hands. Also, it won't stain the contrast stitching and it's important to get it into all the seams the best you can. I usually use a paint brush to paint the seams of the seat and then use just my hands to rub in the product along those areas and pour on a little for the larger areas.

Once the product has seeped in and dried to a nice cloudy haze, use a clean cotton rag to buff off the product.

The "cleaner" product is a once a month type spray treatment that cleans the surface and provides some nominal moisturizing. Spray and wipe off with a clean rag.

So, stage 1 every 6 months.year. Stage 2 every month or so (especially in high wear areas).

It's amazing what this will do for your interior, and anyone having problems with shrinkage (on their cars leather!) will see a night and day difference with this product!
Appreciate 0