XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #199
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
congrats on u unit, I'll try to answer some:

1. Does rebooting the avin consist of turning off the car power and waiting? Or is there some button to press...there's a tiny hole on the left of the monitor...

Yes to reboot the unit you do need to turn off the car and turn it back on (at one point I was looking for app that will do the reboot of Android without turning off the car and I think I was close to finding what I was looking for but then I gave up as I didn't have a need for such for awhile)

that tiny hole on the side is actually microphone so don't stick anything in there
it's crappy microphone but still...

2. Changing car settings is supposed to be safe, but I've had it restarted distorted beyond operational. Eventually after swiping or touching it returns just enough to get back to the menu to change. After changing tonight, I now have a 2" strip that seems to stay in the background...no matter if I go back to the original setting where it was clean. I know I'm supposed to reboot after each change, but see item #1...this may be my fault.

I've changed my setting multiple times but never had an issue with screen distortion, u might want to ask Avin about it and also u might want to try to update firmware (latest 20180108)

3. Aux Audio is very faint and hissy...even with oem aux volume maxed out. Maybe it's a bad aux audio cable? I have to turn the volume WAY up to hear a little bit. I thought I checked the aux audio connection before reassembly, but it appears I only checked the monitor audio...so definitely perform this check.

I have yet to connect my Aux cable (I've had my Avin unit for 5mths) but I heard that cable that comes with the unit isn't the best quality so I have another one waiting to be installed

4. Carplay sometimes does not recognize that my phone is already connected to usb and no audio. I connected to the avin via USB and then carplay audio worked. But then the next time I'm in my car it doesn't work. And aux audio is still virtually non-existant.

I've heard similar complains about CarPlay, I don't have one personally, I was trying to decide if I want to get it at one time but decided against it at least for the time beeing...

5. When I would press the CAR INFO icon, it always sends me back to the oem window for split screen content.

Yes it does.

6. I connected to my hotspot, but it doesn't automatically reconnect and always initially says out of range.

Yes unfortunately this is how it works with hotspot, u need to reconnect every time u get in the car, one of the reasons I went with USB modem and never looked back

hope some answers were useful, good luck with u unit
Sincere thanks for the help. I'm still testing each time I get in the car, but I've had luck with carplay recognizing my phone by starting the vehicle, waiting for the avin to boot up, and THEN connecting my phone. As for carplay siri sound (through monitor/center spkr), that works only if I'm not connected to hotspot or avin BT, but am connected to OEM BT. Carplay music is tied to the aux cable as it is unheard w/o significantly ratcheting up the volume...even then is poor quality.

I have a higher quality aux cable I bought, but it didn't have the right angle feature that the avin cable had...so I didn't install. I regret that now.

What cartype are you using? I obviously still don't have the right one b/c my idrive doesn't work in the avin settings menu.

Is the USB modem sold by AVIN? Does it require a subscription to my phone carrier?

Thanks!
      02-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #200
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
Sincere thanks for the help. I'm still testing each time I get in the car, but I've had luck with carplay recognizing my phone by starting the vehicle, waiting for the avin to boot up, and THEN connecting my phone. As for carplay siri sound (through monitor/center spkr), that works only if I'm not connected to hotspot or avin BT, but am connected to OEM BT. Carplay music is tied to the aux cable as it is unheard w/o significantly ratcheting up the volume...even then is poor quality.

I have a higher quality aux cable I bought, but it didn't have the right angle feature that the avin cable had...so I didn't install. I regret that now.

What cartype are you using? I obviously still don't have the right one b/c my idrive doesn't work in the avin settings menu.

Is the USB modem sold by AVIN? Does it require a subscription to my phone carrier?

Thanks!
I'm using type 8 which I changed from 6 (came with the unit) some ppl had luck with different options, try 6 or 8 first and if that doesn't work try something else... don't forget to apply settings and restart the car.

I didn't buy USB modem thru Avin, I bought mine on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you will need to add this to your carrier (as a data line) or you can go with alternatives such as FreedomPop etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 11:08 AM   #201
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm using type 8 which I changed from 6 (came with the unit) some ppl had luck with different options, try 6 or 8 first and if that doesn't work try something else... don't forget to apply settings and restart the car.

I didn't buy USB modem thru Avin, I bought mine on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you will need to add this to your carrier (as a data line) or you can go with alternatives such as FreedomPop etc.
"Type 8"...is that any option with 8" screen listed? There are 17 options in my list...usually listing chassis and screen size...Mine came default on a 10.25 selection for an Fxx....that was oversized and I had clipping around the edges...

Thx
      02-07-2018, 11:13 AM   #202
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
"Type 8"...is that any option with 8" screen listed? There are 17 options in my list...usually listing chassis and screen size...Mine came default on a 10.25 selection for an Fxx....that was oversized and I had clipping around the edges...

Thx
8 means number in the list, I can't recall what exactly its pointing too and as examples showing what it says in the description not always corresponding to what it is or what it will do
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 05:04 PM   #203
Sketro
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70 2013 35i

AvinUSA unit slow

Anyone having issues as of 2 weeks with the unit being unresponsive and slow ? It sometimes takes 5-8 minutes to respond from initial startup, during operation ES file manager is lagging (so are other apps) and navigation doesn't even get to start or takes long time to load.

this is not how the unit normally behaves, something must have changed software wise through update etc. Using Wayze, Spotify, Sygic, Youtube as only additional apps.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 05:25 PM   #204
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardR0404 View Post
I am not against anything but.. is maintaining a factory look that important to you guys?
Attachment 1764161
Back in the day of single and double DIN units, I didn't care about the looks so much so long as I could at least get the stereo to display colors that were the same as the rest of the interior lights. Cars are getting fancier and fancier, so some have gone as far as making custom bezels to maintain that factory look. Nowadays with screens being the common place, factory integration is really the only way to go and these AVIN type units (we know it's not AVIN themselves) really knocked it outta the park. While yours doesn't look bad and the screen looks larger, it definitely looks added on. This isn't an "you've got a $90k SUV, don't be cheap" type or argument either, I just don't like added on looks in general.

How do you see your stock screen though? Physically move it every time? That'd be my issue and would get annoying quickly.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 05:29 PM   #205
RichardR0404
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Back in the day of single and double DIN units, I didn't care about the looks so much so long as I could at least get the stereo to display colors that were the same as the rest of the interior lights. Cars are getting fancier and fancier, so some have gone as far as making custom bezels to maintain that factory look. Nowadays with screens being the common place, factory integration is really the only way to go and these AVIN type units (we know it's not AVIN themselves) really knocked it outta the park. While yours doesn't look bad and the screen looks larger, it definitely looks added on. This isn't an "you've got a $90k SUV, don't be cheap" type or argument either, I just don't like added on looks in general.

How do you see your stock screen though? Physically move it every time? That'd be my issue and would get annoying quickly.
I yanked the whole CIC screen out already. If you want to see the screen I have a mode you can use CIC with in my system
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 05:30 PM   #206
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketro View Post
Anyone having issues as of 2 weeks with the unit being unresponsive and slow ? It sometimes takes 5-8 minutes to respond from initial startup, during operation ES file manager is lagging (so are other apps) and navigation doesn't even get to start or takes long time to load.

this is not how the unit normally behaves, something must have changed software wise through update etc. Using Wayze, Spotify, Sygic, Youtube as only additional apps.
I've disabled ES as I've found it's full of popups during usage of other apps. I was using Waze, tried hitting search on the bottom left corner of the screen, and the screen was unresponsive. Moments later I'm getting this image bursting out of the same corner with shortcuts. After playing around, it was ES. I'm guessing it can be shut off in options, but I turned the app off completely. Eventually I'll root it, debloat it and install a file browser of my choosing...preferably ones that's very minimalist.

Disable ES or at least check into it's options, I'm betting it's causing your issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 05:33 PM   #207
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I yanked the whole CIC screen out already. If you want to see the screen I have a mode you can use CIC with in my system
That's good then...iDrive still works? You've shown a picture in the dark...let's see it in the light, from the sides, etc before I rubber stamp it :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 05:51 PM   #208
drccw
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

Maybe I'm a dumb-a but I for the life of me can't get the green cable out of the original factory harness... is that the optical cable btw?

Also, where does the center speaker cable hook up to?

thanks

FDW
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 10:34 AM   #209
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drccw View Post
Maybe I'm a dumb-a but I for the life of me can't get the green cable out of the original factory harness... is that the optical cable btw?

Also, where does the center speaker cable hook up to?

thanks

FDW
Press down the tab on the top of the connector and pull out...yes that's the optical cable. I want to confirm my optical cable position...one cable is green and the other is also green but with black plastic sheething. Which one is oriented on top?

The center speaker cable is behind the oem monitor. There are two separate connectors fixed, by quarter turn, to the center speaker housing. It's the one on the left. The center speaker connector has a tag (or at least mine did) saying center speaker. Remove the 1/4 turn bracket, undo the connection...the avin harness cables are keyed...

Jeremy
      02-08-2018, 10:52 AM   #210
argento
Captain
Rep

My unit has not been as slow as mentioned above, but it's only been a few days. I will say that if you use the avin as just a larger screen and use all oem functions then it's a great success. Avin help has dropped off completely...$500 only gets you so much support, lol.

I plan to install a new aux cable to see if that fixes my sound issues. Wierd thing is that carplay sound is intermittent..sometimes it works through center speaker, most of the time it does not...and no sound through aux...no sound makes it useless.

I wonder if I reversed my optical cables??....

Thanks boneca, setting 8 seems to be the best I can get. Also, turning off the car for only a few seconds or minutes doesn't reboot the avin. I have to turn it off, and lock the car for a few minutes to actually confirm it was done.

Last edited by argento; 02-08-2018 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 12:34 PM   #211
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
My unit has not been as slow as mentioned above, but it's only been a few days. I will say that if use the avin as just a larger unit and use all oem then it's a great success. Avin help has dropped off completely...$500 only gets you so much support, lol.

I plan to install a new aux cable to see if that fixes my sound issues. Wierd thing is that carplay sound is intermittent..sometimes it works through center speaker, most of the time it does not...and no sound through aux...no sound makes it useless.

I wonder if I reversed my optical cables??....

Thanks boneca, setting 8 seems to be the best I can get. Also, turning off the car for only a few seconds or minutes doesn't reboot the avin. I have to turn it off, and lock the car for a few minutes to actually confirm it was done.

I'm glad the settings worked
don't recall going that extreme with turning off the car and closing the doors etc., but it doesn't totally surprise me.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 10:04 AM   #212
drccw
Rep

Quote:
Press down the tab on the top of the connector and pull out...yes that's the optical cable. I want to confirm my optical cable position...one cable is green and the other is also green but with black plastic sheething. Which one is oriented on top?

The center speaker cable is behind the oem monitor. There are two separate connectors fixed, by quarter turn, to the center speaker housing. It's the one on the left. The center speaker connector has a tag (or at least mine did) saying center speaker. Remove the 1/4 turn bracket, undo the connection...the avin harness cables are keyed...

Jeremy
Thanks for your help! That all worked.

I had a bear of a time getting everything back together. Lot a of extra stuff down below. Oh and it seems that the tabs on my CD player thing we’re fragile because I broke them. I couldn’t figure out where to run the six and usb cables so for now I have them coming out through the vent. I just wanted to get th car back together so I could play with things. I did take a pic of the optoccal cable cknfig. Let me figure out how to upload it.

Drccw
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 11:21 AM   #213
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
What is the shipping situation on these. Ive read the come from Cali and from the US. I'm not down to wait a few months for a China delivery.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 11:26 AM   #214
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenEye View Post
What is the shipping situation on these. Ive read the come from Cali and from the US. I'm not down to wait a few months for a China delivery.
it depends on current stock, u can check with AVIN.
my came from CA in 2 business days, I know somebody who was waiting for package from China ordering from the same place!

btw u can buy unit little cheaper if u'll order it on Ali directly but most ppl went with Avin (at least the ones in US) for the support/updates etc...

hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 11:39 AM   #215
drccw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenEye View Post
I ordered mine on Jan 26 (a Friday) and it was delivered on Jan 31 from HKG. To east coast USA. Remember Friday here is Saturday in HKG

So super quick

EDIT: Just looked the tracking info. Apparently it shipped out of HKG on the 3oth and got delivered to me on the 31st.

Drccw

Last edited by drccw; 02-09-2018 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 12:08 PM   #216
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
it depends on current stock, u can check with AVIN.
my came from CA in 2 business days, I know somebody who was waiting for package from China ordering from the same place!

btw u can buy unit little cheaper if u'll order it on Ali directly but most ppl went with Avin (at least the ones in US) for the support/updates etc...

hope this helps
Thanks for the info.

Quote:
I ordered mine on Jan 26 (a Friday) and it was delivered on Jan 31 from HKG. To east coast USA. Remember Friday here is Saturday in HKG

So super quick

EDIT: Just looked the tracking info. Apparently it shipped out of HKG on the 3oth and got delivered to me on the 31st.

Drccw
Wow thats crazy fast.

It's cheap enough to roll the dice on, ill give it a shot.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 01:38 PM   #217
argento
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your help! That all worked.

I had a bear of a time getting everything back together. Lot a of extra stuff down below. Oh and it seems that the tabs on my CD player thing we’re fragile because I broke them. I couldn’t figure out where to run the six and usb cables so for now I have them coming out through the vent. I just wanted to get th car back together so I could play with things. I did take a pic of the optoccal cable cknfig. Let me figure out how to upload it.

Drccw
It is a bear. There's room to the right and back, so with the radio sitting on the cupholder I pushed as much of the cabling to the right/back and tried to set it up so the rest would head that direction when I started pushing the radio back in.

I couldn't upload pix either...I entered the Box shared link, but didn't work. If you could email me the pic, that would be helpful...I'll pm it to you...

Last edited by argento; 02-09-2018 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 02:35 PM   #218
TheUtahX5M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUtahX5M View Post
This is just my opinion:

The factory look is important and the Avin unit accomplishes that, but also has the desired integration.

The unit you posted looks too Audi and out of place. I would not want that in my X5.
Oh sad to say I developed my unit myself. I am pretty sure your fancy Avin unit can't control your sunroof, aircond, door lock, window, and remote access/start.
A) I don't even have the Avin unit in my X5. I am content with my OEM system.

B) I also don't need my infotainment unit to control any of those settings, as fortunately the original engineers have created what I find to be satisfactory for my vehicle use.

C) 555hp is enough to compensate for most anything, as is running my hand over the leather dash, polishing the piano black trim, and and and and...
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 03:48 PM   #219
E70'11
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: || E70 35i | R32 GTR ||

Anyone using a screen protector for this head unit? I'm considering it

2010 E90 335i 1M FBO MHD Tune (SOLD)
2009 E92 335i FBO JB4 G5 ISO (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 04:18 PM   #220
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I haven't seen the need. I've found that after a month+ of usage I see little to no fingerprints to my surprise...and I'm that OCD who's chronically wiping his phones screen on my shirt anytime I see anything.
Appreciate 0