XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-05-2013, 02:48 AM   #1
Toneaero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

Headlight Mod: 6300k Xenon HID Install Step-By-Step w/Pics

I wanted a "whiter" headlight so after a bit of research, it turns out that the stock xenon HID bulbs in the X5 are rated at 4300k color temperature. This color temperature ultimately produces the most lumens but also a more "yellow" light output. Since I live in a suburban area, having a "whiter" light and a few lower lumens isn't going to hurt but improve the "euro exotic" look without looking too ricey. That's why I decided to choose a 6700k bulb vs 8000k+ bulb. The higher the kelvin, the bluer and purple the light output gets. 6700k is a perfect blend of white with a slight tinge of blue.

Install pics:

I chose Philips capsules for their excellent track record on quality and bulb longevity.

Unscrew the plastic cover to reveal the original HID bulb. Unplug the cable by pulling directly down on the connection. Then twist the entire silver looking box out of the socket.

Side by side comparison between the stock bulb and the aftermarket bulb.

The build quality on the 6300k Philips capsule is very comparable to the OEM bulb.

Transfer this black round ring from the original bulb to the new bulb. This is what holds the bulb back in its headlight housing.

After a few minutes of warmup, here is the output on my white garage door. As you can see, the stock bulbs are quite a bit warmer/yellower in color compared to the new 6700k bulbs.

This is what it looks like with the Mtec Angel Eyes I installed a few weeks ago. A much better angel eye match in color.

Here is my next mod. This is the stock turn signal bulb. I'm planning on replacing this with an LED that burns amber. That way, my entire headlight housing will be clear in color without the hint of amber till I turn on my turn signals. (with turn signal delete via coding)

If you were sitting on the fence in changing your xenon HID color temp, go do it! It wasn't very hard to do and probably took no more than 10 minutes to install. Best of all, my headlights now match my white angel eyes. Another cool thing with these lights is when they are first turned on. They burn a deep blue/purple color for the first 15 seconds each time you turn them on. Once warmed up, they burn that beloved white with slight blue color. Have I noticed the lost in lumens? Nope...the lumens loss was negligible.

Thanks for reading!
Appreciate 0