XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-10-2020, 08:53 AM   #1
Sabs1815
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Cracked Rim

Hey guys,

Family had a bit of a traumatic experience the other night with my Father's E70 X5M.

Little back story on his truck, its a 2011 with 118K on it. It has H&R lowering springs and Ferrada Rims sitting on Continental DWS tires. Rims were on the car for about 15K miles. Power wise the truck is stock and has no other mods.

They were on the Garden state Pkwy in NJ driving back to Brooklyn when they felt a heavy vibration coming from the back. They pulled over and found that the spokes of the rim had completely cracked off the rest of the rim and the hub was just spinning the spokes with the tire just rolling along for the ride.

So I ask you my fellow forum members HOW DOES THIS EVEN HAPPEN?! Ive been racking my brain on this for the last 2 days and I can not figure it out. My brother claims he did not hit a pot hole and even if he did this would have had to have been the mother of all potholes to do this.

Thankfully, they were all safe and ok and pulled over right away so nobody got hurt.

2013 F10 M5- Rest in peace
2015 F15 X5 50I
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 09:29 AM   #2
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Well, I have never heard of those wheels before, so the quality could be suspect, especially to be on a vehicle of decent weight. As well with the tire stretch, it is tough to say how well the loads are being distributed, but I would think that may cause a barrel issue before a spoke issue.
It looks like there may have been a side rub on the tire there as well, but tough to say, and there doesn't appear to be a tear, just a mark like a rub against a low curb or banked sidewalk, maybe even from parking?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 10:06 AM   #3
Sabs1815
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colodano View Post
Well, I have never heard of those wheels before, so the quality could be suspect, especially to be on a vehicle of decent weight. As well with the tire stretch, it is tough to say how well the loads are being distributed, but I would think that may cause a barrel issue before a spoke issue.
It looks like there may have been a side rub on the tire there as well, but tough to say, and there doesn't appear to be a tear, just a mark like a rub against a low curb or banked sidewalk, maybe even from parking?
My father was convinced they were good wheels, even though I felt the same as I hadn't heard of the brand before this either. They were advertised as good for the X5M although I guess thats how they get the sale.

Curbing is definitely a possibility although I didn't see any curb rash on the rim it self. I guess if the tire push up hard enough that could've done it?

Its just not making any sense.
2013 F10 M5- Rest in peace
2015 F15 X5 50I
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 11:36 AM   #4
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

I've come to the realization, that there are a lot of designer wheel sets, but there are only so many casting or forging shops in the US or in Asia... Of the 100's of wheel companies out there, there can't be more than 10 places in the US to get them actually made, maybe double/triple that in Asia (e.g. Philippines, Taiwan, China, etc)

That being said, wheels can crack, it happens. It especially happens on wheels that can't handle the load of an SUV, (e.g. thin spokes), or simply bad metallurgy. That design wheel has some awfully thin spokes for such a heavy SUV IMO. It was bound to crack IMHO.
Appreciate 0