XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-11-2019, 09:29 AM   #1
TimAstro
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2007 x5 4.8i, 2006 BMW M3

Trouble starting x5 after valve cover gasket job

Hello,

New to this forum but have been on M3Forum for many years, same username. Here is my situation;

Car is a 2007 x5 4.8i, about 114k miles, has ran great so far. I had a leaking valve cover gasket, drivers side. So while I was in there, I put new valve cover gaskets on both banks, changed spark plugs and coil packs. It was a PIA job, like major PIA. I got everything buttoned up, but when I went to start, she cranks but will not start. Once or twice she briefly (5 seconds) ran very rough, at about 200-300 RPM.

I pulled the air filters, plastic covers, etc. found all my connections to be snug. I can’t find any obvious problems. I traced every connection I remember working with, all are plugged in.

It almost seems like the fuel pressure is low, as I am not really getting any pressure out of the schrader valve on the passenger side fuel rail. My little WiFi OBD scanned pulled a code “p3497”. Given that I got litterslly zero hits relevant to an x5 when I searched, I think my scanner just isn’t reading the code right.

Any ideas where to start?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #2
Dawgz
2022 M4 Comp Xdrive
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAstro View Post
Hello,

New to this forum but have been on M3Forum for many years, same username. Here is my situation;

Car is a 2007 x5 4.8i, about 114k miles, has ran great so far. I had a leaking valve cover gasket, drivers side. So while I was in there, I put new valve cover gaskets on both banks, changed spark plugs and coil packs. It was a PIA job, like major PIA. I got everything buttoned up, but when I went to start, she cranks but will not start. Once or twice she briefly (5 seconds) ran very rough, at about 200-300 RPM.

I pulled the air filters, plastic covers, etc. found all my connections to be snug. I can’t find any obvious problems. I traced every connection I remember working with, all are plugged in.

It almost seems like the fuel pressure is low, as I am not really getting any pressure out of the schrader valve on the passenger side fuel rail. My little WiFi OBD scanned pulled a code “p3497”. Given that I got litterslly zero hits relevant to an x5 when I searched, I think my scanner just isn’t reading the code right.

1) get a better scanner (Carly or Protool)
2) sounds like coil packs or plugs. I would reseat the coil packs and try again.

Also, make sure no other harnesses we forgotten to be reconnected.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 12:21 PM   #3
TimAstro
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2007 x5 4.8i, 2006 BMW M3

I guess I’ll reseat all the coil packs again. It’s strange though, when I’ve had packs go bad on my e46, I very clearly got a message. Plus I would think the motor would run even if a couple were bad...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 11:46 PM   #4
pearlpower
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAstro View Post
Hello,

It only takes missing one item to cause all sorts of issues, we have all been there. Best to retrace every step, check every plug to ensure they are fully seated, no crossed wires. Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 01:39 PM   #5
fredogonefishin
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8 E70

I have the same code and same issue after coils and spark plugs replaced.

Can you please update what your problem was and how you fixed it?
Appreciate 0