XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

05-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #23
william_one
Registered
Mexico
Rep
Drives: X5 M 2016

Evanevery, could you post some photos of your X6M? I see that yours is Melbourne Red and I am waiting for my X5 M in the same color which is programmed to be delivered by the end of May. I saw the other day a 3 series in melbourne red but I don't know if that is exactly the same color, the thing is that I ordered mine without having seen it other than in the brochure. I live in Mexico city and here there are not many X5 M's around to check the color. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #24
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Yes - I will try and get one up as soon as possible. Note that the red is REALLY red! The paint is described as "Melbourne Red Metallic", but I can't see any metal flake in the paint no matter how closely I look. Its a very bright red which leans more toward the orange side of the spectrum rather than the deep maroon side.

The online configurator ("Build Your Own") does a pretty good job of reflecting the proper shade and hue of the color. So no surprises there!

Its also a very dynamic color. It looks different under full sunlight as compared to under overcast or at night (compared to what you might expect).

Personally, it wasn't my first choice of color, but when the wife's only question was "Does it come in Red?" - you don't ask any more questions... I do like the color though! Its starting to grow on me!

I took some photos when I was at the PDC but they are in 3D photo (MPO) format so I'm not sure you would be able to view them.

The car is in the shop today to get the hitch put on and the illuminated doorsills installed. Tomorrow I have an appointment elsewhere to have the front windows tinted to match the rear windows. I'll try and get some regular 2D photos taken when I get the car back.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #25
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAxDEATH(NYC) View Post
I did the brake in as per manual, my engine sound right now is like a diesel. I know something wrong with it. I went may times to dealerships (3 states). Only 1 mechanic-supervisor had a balls to admit that something wrong with it by it sound. But according to they manuals its all fine. Car is only 2 years of old. and burning oil like mad. I have followed the instruction. Lesson learned. Never again. Oil has to be changed way often, then what they said. Be cause they are cheap ass company. Who saving a money - YES ON YOUR 100kk+ vehicle.

PS Any time stop by in Brookly NY, I'll let you hear my engine sounds.
I did my break-in also as per manual.
Car runs great
I get very smooth engine, that burns no oil and gives me good MPG
I did my first oil change around 5-6K, which i had to pay for
It was done at BMW
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #26
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by william_one View Post
Evanevery, could you post some photos of your X6M?
I found a tool to extract 2D images out of the 3D photos I had taken at the PDC. These are more snaps than properly composed photos but you can see the color in a couple of different lighting conditions..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #27
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

^ great looking M - congrats!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #28
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
I'm all for an early oil change, but only if I can be sure I'm using exactly the same spec lubricant that was designed to be in the engine until the first scheduled oil change. As I have not been able to find out exactly what that spec is, I'll leave in what's there. At least one oil manufacturers (who makes a product specifically for our vehicles) seems to agree. So given Doug Vs BMW & Royal Purple - the choice is pretty easy for me to make...

Unless you have access to the specific fluid being used in the initial fill, I personally don't find much value in going back and forth on this.
I do have it and have told you several times. Again, the oil that is put in at the factory is the same oil BMW recommends. There is/are no special additives and or no special formulas for the initial fill. If you plan on keeping the vehicle then I recommend you change it BEFORE the computer tells you to - which will be around 15,000 miles. Trust me, BMW doesn't want you keeping the oil in that long because of some special additive, it is because THEY are paying for the oil change and it is NOT cheap.

Alas, if you are not keeping the car past 4 years/50K or you are leasing, then go forth, go with the 15K oil changes. But if you are keeping it longer and/or trying to sell it to a private party at some point, I (along with most people out there) would recommend an oil change at 1,200 and then again every 7,500.

If you email Mike Miller, who is the BMW CCA Roundel Magazine Technical Editor, he can provide you with his "Old School Maintenance" recommendations (techtalk@roundel.org). PERSONALLY, I find them a bit over the top (and don't agree with many), but they are at least starting point. You can also ask him about the oil that is in BMWs from the factory (or click on the link below)
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/gener...tentId=6003234

Finally, my comment about tolerances, specifically relates to a mass production engine from BMW vs. a re-built one.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #29
william_one
Registered
Mexico
Rep
Drives: X5 M 2016

Wow! Congratulations! My concerns have just disappeared. As far as I can tell Red Melbourne looks great.
I will post photos of my X5M in Red as soon as I pick it up, although maybe I am in the wrong forum for that. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #30
mswaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M

Quote:
I found a tool to extract 2D images out of the 3D photos I had taken at the PDC. These are more snaps than properly composed photos but you can see the color in a couple of different lighting conditions..
I love the power dome on the hood, I wish they would have incorporated this on the 2013 X5M as well. I wonder how much that hood would be to buy and get color matched...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #31
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Congrats! Where are the pictures?

For the others...
Be aware that the PDC loses a bit of luster for X5/X6 owners if you are not picking up a M product. They don't have regular X5s/X6s to drive except for the off road part (did you do that?). So you end up driving an X5M/X6M and then hoping in your plebeian 35/50 and driving the trip back wondering where all the power went.

Also, most PDC employees actually work for a contractor out in NJ (forget the name). People like Donnie are contractors as well.

Last but not least, next time you do PDC (or anyone does), go a bit out of your way and check out the Tail of the Dragon. Amazing.
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/
Congrats! enjoy your new toy !
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #32
wang490
WTS my car :p
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

So I think 2013 BMW X6M front bumper is the same with 2012 model?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #33
x5m power
M3 V8 Power "The Last of Best"
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 comp edition

I think this oil discussion is talked about too much first of all it is a street vehicle not an
F1 car. I just bought a 2013 x5m and changing the oil at the cbs time. End of discussion. If it blows up warranty will take care of it. Get on with life and just drive the dam thing................ LOL...........
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #34
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5m power View Post
I think this oil discussion is talked about too much first of all it is a street vehicle not an
F1 car. I just bought a 2013 x5m and changing the oil at the cbs time. End of discussion. If it blows up warranty will take care of it. Get on with life and just drive the dam thing................ LOL...........
As noted, if you are leasing and/or not keeping the car past warranty, then I agree (and that's what I have followed on my 540/550/M5/X6). But if you own it or want to keep it past warranty.....
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #35
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

dont care too much about this oil discussion - just do whatever you want. it's a bmw, you're going to have problems after 4 yr/50K warranty runs out anyway....

Back to the OP: That car looks awesome - CONGRATS!! sounds like a fun PCD experience. Hope to do it someday.
      05-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #36
Love_My_X6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X6 35i

Quote:
HI! I noticed in the photos that you did not have a front license plate in the PDC photos. I was curious about it because we are purchasing from a dealer at at two-plate-state, but we are tagging in NC with rear plate only. (military exemption)

My concern is if the dealer provided the incorrect information to BMW, I don't want to find holes or a frame on the nose of my X6. IF there is an issue, I would rather know in advance than have my delivery day dampened.

Does the factory ship all of the new BMW's intact and the front plates put on at the dealer's service department or by the owner??

PS.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #37
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
I'm in NY, which requires front plate
My car arrived with no plate/holes in the front
CA actually asked me whether i want my front drilled and mounted with plate
I ended up not installing it, but purchased tow-hook plate mount
So i just screw it in whenever i go to "public" places where i park on the street
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 07:30 AM   #38
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_My_X6 View Post
HI! I noticed in the photos that you did not have a front license plate in the PDC photos. I was curious about it because we are purchasing from a dealer at at two-plate-state, but we are tagging in NC with rear plate only. (military exemption)

My concern is if the dealer provided the incorrect information to BMW, I don't want to find holes or a frame on the nose of my X6. IF there is an issue, I would rather know in advance than have my delivery day dampened.

Does the factory ship all of the new BMW's intact and the front plates put on at the dealer's service department or by the owner??

PS.
No holes. Even if you pick up at the PDC they install the front plate there upon request. HOWEVER, your dealer might do it if you don't stop them. So make SURE they don't "prep" the car with the front plate (sorry, can't remember if you are doing PDC or not).
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 09:30 AM   #39
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_My_X6 View Post
HI! I noticed in the photos that you did not have a front license plate in the PDC photos.
They asked at the PDC if my state required two plates BEFORE they drilled the mount into the front bumper. Although my state DOES require two plates, I simply asked them NOT to do the plate install and that I would take care of it later. They gave me the plate mount (matches the color of the car) and I put it in a perfectly fitting square compartment in the rear floor locking compartment (along with my "extra" plate).

In the unlikely event that I get stopped for not having a front plate, I'll just tell them I picked up the car in SC (a single plate state), and have not yet attached the mount or the plate to the bumper. I doubt anyone is going to be looking at both the front and rear of the car and checking for plates. In the event that someone looks at the car from the front, it will likely be assumed I'm from out of state. I don't expect its something they are going to haul me away for. The plate and mount are in the car in any case...

I'm working on getting a set of vanity plates, so once they come through, I'll likely mount the front plate anyway...
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 04:17 PM   #40
Love_My_X6
Private
Rep

Quote:
They asked at the PDC if my state required two plates BEFORE they drilled the mount into the front bumper. Although my state DOES require two plates, I simply asked them NOT to do the plate install and that I would take care of it later. They gave me the plate mount (matches the color of the car) and I put it in a perfectly fitting square compartment in the rear floor locking compartment (along with my "extra" plate).

In the unlikely event that I get stopped for not having a front plate, I'll just tell them I picked up the car in SC (a single plate state), and have not yet attached the mount or the plate to the bumper. I doubt anyone is going to be looking at both the front and rear of the car and checking for plates. In the event that someone looks at the car from the front, it will likely be assumed I'm from out of state. I don't expect its something they are going to haul me away for. The plate and mount are in the car in any case...

I'm working on getting a set of vanity plates, so once they come through, I'll likely mount the front plate anyway...
Thanks very much for the reply. I am glad that BMW asks. Yes. I am taking my X6 at the PDC on Wednesday and I am glad to expect that I won't have unsightly holes in my front bumper unnecessarily.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #41
Love_My_X6
Private
Rep

Quote:
According to the "M" supplementary manual, it is 1200 miles at the first break in point and then 3000 for the final. I don't care what any other self-proclaimed "Internet Experts" have to say - I'm going by the manual - you can bet the engineers at BMW know whats best for our cars...

I'll take some photos tomorrow (after the sun comes back up)...

I'll try to remember to get some shots of the LED headlights tonight as well...
So, not to start a debate here again, but the very first thing we were told about the car in the delivery is the break in and not over 4500rpm (don't floor it) and not over 100mph. We set the 'chime' at 90. OMG I hit over 90mph ten times with my 3.5. How do you manage to keep an M at sensible speeds? So much fun!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #42
Omar@VelosDesignwerks
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Different Ones

Congrats it looks great! Let us know if we can assist with anything. Enjoy in good health
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #43
homie5
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x6m 2013

omg i placed my order for my bmw x6m 2013 monte-carlo-blue and my pick up date is the 9 of july seeing yours got me going crazy i dont even have it yet and iam already thinking of purchasing a z4 just so i can spankk the honda ricers in my neighborhood lol

enjoy man it looks crazy lol
Appreciate 0