XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-20-2009, 11:21 PM   #1
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

How to ride the X6?

I am not (anymore) used to automatic gear boxes. The manual shift lets you control the RPM. The automatic needs a different skill. I noticed that if I keep a constant pressure on the gas, it upshifts after a certain period (even under 2000 RPM). I also noticed that for rapid acceleration, at least on diesel, more pressure on gas pedal is needed, and even more rapid, repetitive, pressing on the pedal to upshift.. .and accelerate faster. How do you do the stuff? On auto. . Sometimes the X6 upshifts faster (under 2000-3000), other times it needs to go to 4000 to upshift. .Confused.

PS1: Didn't tried yet, extensively, the sport mode.

PS2: I can, however, minimize the headlights in the mirror of the cars I am leaving behind by a high margin when taking off at green, but still don't feel confy, about how to better control the auto gearbox, HP, and throttle of the X6. I got some technique, but cannot be in control of the whole combo.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 03:38 AM   #2
baufix
Rep
Drives: X6 3,5d

1) X6 isn't a racing car, but
2) it's faster then you can feel behind the wheel
3) put it in the SPORT mode and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 04:39 AM   #3
wwspiderbig
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 3.5D

it's easy how harder you push the pedal the more rpm it makes and shifts later. if you push it a bit it shift much earlyer
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 12:40 PM   #4
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
I do own a 3.0diesel and the first 2 seconds are slow, then when the variable geometry turbo starts to work its way into power, the best way to get into speed fas is to push the pedal to the metal.
When you push it to the end, you will feel you pushed a button, that "button" is called "kick-down-button" , what it makes is to send an agresive maping to the computer and gets the most power from the engine inmediately.
As for changing the gears, Im a former owner of an M3 qith sequential gearbox, the X6 is a superb gearbox and incredibly close to a sequential but in an automatic manner. Is a matter of getting use to it, first you have to switch to Sport mode and then start using the up and down paddles or the gear shifter, remember the RPM's diesel engines don't like to much RPM's, so try to change gears on around 4000 RPM's, you will feel the difference.
Another good advice is to get to know the torque peak, I usually change gears between 3800-4000 RPM's, that where the peak torque of my car is, after that, your are wasting momentum and not gaining any extra power or speed.
Well , hope this info will help you in some way

Last edited by motex; 10-08-2010 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 09:48 PM   #5
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Thanks guys, especially motex for the long and useful description. . thanks for your time. Quality posting.

PS: What K&N model you use for the X6?! I knew K&N didn't developed yet a model for the X6.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Here is an image of the K&N page

Also here is an image of the filter, remember this is a filter that installs into the factory airbox ( see pics below)

By the way, installing yourself this filter is a pain in the ass, mostly because there are a lot of hidden screws in very difficult to reach places near the firewall of the engine compartment, it will be better to have it installed on a service visit to the dealer.
Hope this info is good for you

Last edited by motex; 10-08-2010 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 02:29 AM   #7
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Does K & N filtr=better mileage?
Or more power, but worse mileage ?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 04:32 AM   #8
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

yeah..good question!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 11:20 AM   #9
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
A K&N filter "breath" 30% more air, that means more air for the engine translated in more power, not much though, but between 4 and 7 extra horses will do some positive change. Mileage is also a little better since the engine is breathing more freely.
I think is better to have one installed instead of the factory one, and K&N filters are for lifetime, no need to replace it, you can wash it or blow it with air preasure.
It is an inexpensive modification that wont void any warranty
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

I have KN's on my bikes and other cars. But the removal for cleaning is very easy. Don't know why it gets so complicated (with all the screws) for the beammer. If I want to clean it myself and re-oil, I need to go to the service shop? Damn!!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 10:10 PM   #11
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
You are right, removing it for cleaning is a pain you know where....but when the car goes for periodic service, they can clean it for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 01:16 AM   #12
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
You are right, removing it for cleaning is a pain you know where....but when the car goes for periodic service, they can clean it for you.
I cannot clean the KN on the X6, in the service shop, doh, at the regular service dates. Too much dust around here. I need to clean KN's here at about 2-3 thousand miles.

PS: And mileage goes down a bit. Even if little extra power is added. .30% more air will convince the computer that more gas is needed, too. Been there, done that. But no sweat, I'll put a KN this year on the Panzer. Just want to see if the Panzer will go more brutal on accel. with the KN as the other devices do. . .but I will also need to go for the sports exhaust, in this case. Hopefully Remus will come up with some numbers for the diesel. What I learned from my Mazda 6 with KN and Borla exhaust is that smoothness is gone. But love it! Jerk that gas pedal, and it will shake your ass. Sport modes on air filter and exhaust are just getting you in the mood of a race track. Put the gearbox into sport mode, and it will get even more funkier!!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 11:07 AM   #13
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akraptor View Post
I cannot clean the KN on the X6, in the service shop, doh, at the regular service dates. Too much dust around here. I need to clean KN's here at about 2-3 thousand miles.

PS: And mileage goes down a bit. Even if little extra power is added. .30% more air will convince the computer that more gas is needed, too. Been there, done that. But no sweat, I'll put a KN this year on the Panzer. Just want to see if the Panzer will go more brutal on accel. with the KN as the other devices do. . .but I will also need to go for the sports exhaust, in this case. Hopefully Remus will come up with some numbers for the diesel. What I learned from my Mazda 6 with KN and Borla exhaust is that smoothness is gone. But love it! Jerk that gas pedal, and it will shake your ass. Sport modes on air filter and exhaust are just getting you in the mood of a race track. Put the gearbox into sport mode, and it will get even more funkier!!
Why do you always refer to your X6 as a panzer? Sounds so stupid! I assume you are referring to the Panzer tank?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 10:46 PM   #14
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
Why do you always refer to your X6 as a panzer? Sounds so stupid! I assume you are referring to the Panzer tank?
Yes

Well, that is my feeling. Low seat position (my head just above the steering wheel line, and I am 6' 4") feeling of a massive cockpit, the power, the rumble, the handling, the cornering control, everything.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 10:56 PM   #15
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Yes

Well, that is my feeling. Low seat position (my head just above the steering wheel line, and I am 6' 4") feeling of a massive cockpit, the power, the rumble, the handling, the cornering control, everything.
Didn't think a 'Panzer' had 'cornering control' or 'handling' for that matter
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 10:45 PM   #16
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep

They cornered well in war times. . .in mud, over bushes, etc. They did their job well, for those times, as tanks. And the tanks where the first ones to use the X-drive. Even though the X drive was on manual control. Now they have the Leopard 2. For some years.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 12:17 AM   #17
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
They cornered well in war times. . .in mud, over bushes, etc. They did their job well, for those times, as tanks. And the tanks where the first ones to use the X-drive. Even though the X drive was on manual control. Now they have the Leopard 2. For some years.
Thanks, I know about the Panzer

I was just joking

I've actually crawled into one many, many, many moons ago...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0