XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-27-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Is possible to reprogram the FOB ?

This has come up in several threads but does anyone know if it's possible to reprogram the FOB ? I am especially interested in being able to close the tailgate with the button on the FOB.

I know someone from Middle East claimed theirs did this out of the box. Some have suggested it a liability thing in the states but lots of other cars/trucks/vans have this ability. Since there is a button on the tailgate itself that closes it seems to me like the capability is their but not implemented for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Auto close tailgate it not an option in the U.S. most likely due to safety reasons.
      03-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
Auto close tailgate it not an option in the U.S. most likely due to safety reasons.
how is this any different than minivans or the multitude of other cars that have it ?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Dumb Reason

Commercial vehicles have loud acoustic beeping warnings when the reverse gear is engaged.
Can they not have that type of audible warning & a flashing interior dome or a string of flashing red led christmas lights around the hatch opening for the dumb & dumber crowd who'd slam the trunk down while their other hand is still on the trunk ledge!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 10:43 PM   #5
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
This has come up in several threads but does anyone know if it's possible to reprogram the FOB ? I am especially interested in being able to close the tailgate with the button on the FOB.

I know someone from Middle East claimed theirs did this out of the box. Some have suggested it a liability thing in the states but lots of other cars/trucks/vans have this ability. Since there is a button on the tailgate itself that closes it seems to me like the capability is their but not implemented for some reason.
I would assume that the control is in the controllers inside the car and not a function of the fob. I might be wrong here, but I think I remember that the other fellow that had previously posted a video of closing his trunk lid via his fob had to hold down the key longer to close it. The code sent from the fob would be the same for opening or closing. The controller inside the car has to figure out if the command is to open or close the trunk lid. If that's the case, reprogramming the fob would obviously not do anything. I highly suspect that it is a setting that they (BMW or a dealership with the proper programming system) can reprogram via their diagnostic system...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 10:17 PM   #6
chuck92103
Major
Rep

Quote:
how is this any different than minivans or the multitude of other cars that have it ?
The vehicles that have auto close via the fob also have motion sensors to prevent injury when you are not near the door.

i.e. Lexus RX, Minivans, etc.

BMW does not have a motion sensor to reverse the hatch in the event something is in the way.
      03-29-2009, 11:28 PM   #7
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The vehicles that have auto close via the fob also have motion sensors to prevent injury when you are not near the door.

BMW does not have a motion sensor to reverse the hatch in the event something is in the way.

Ok so BMW should spend the $6 and add a sensor.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 12:32 AM   #8
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ok so BMW should spend the $6 and add a sensor.
They could also monitor the current draw from the motor and reverse it when it hits something (similar to the anti-pinch feature that all the power windows have).
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 08:54 PM   #9
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:

Not true. My wifes Lexus RX330 will open/close the rear hatch from the key fob and it does not have any kind of sensor if you are in the way to not close on you. I have actually had this happen a few times. The will slightly close on you but the second it feels any kind of resistence with something being in its way it will re-open. The X6 actually closes more abruptly the last second of closing and i would not want to be in its way. Also, if you hold down the tailgate button for more than two seconds it will set off the alram where as the other member in Dubai who posted video his would close the rear hatch. I think it is stupid how BMW configured this and they should have made the US models open and close the hatch from the key fob and set off the alarm by holding roundel button (lock) for more than two seconds.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 12:57 AM   #10
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
Not true. My wifes Lexus RX330 will open/close the rear hatch from the key fob and it does not have any kind of sensor if you are in the way to not close on you. I have actually had this happen a few times. The will slightly close on you but the second it feels any kind of resistence with something being in its way it will re-open. The X6 actually closes more abruptly the last second of closing and i would not want to be in its way. Also, if you hold down the tailgate button for more than two seconds it will set off the alram where as the other member in Dubai who posted video his would close the rear hatch. I think it is stupid how BMW configured this and they should have made the US models open and close the hatch from the key fob and set off the alarm by holding roundel button (lock) for more than two seconds.
You mean the panic feature. Since BMW doesn't have a 'Panic' button as some other manufacturers key fobs have, they just 're-use' (double duty) one of the regular buttons.

I find the panic button feature to be totally useless anyways. I mean, how often do you hear a car alarm go off in a parking lot and how often do you actually go and see if someone needs help or even pay attention to it???
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 03:22 AM   #11
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Idiot button.

Panic button is for people who can't find nor remember where they parked their car in the huge parking lots after a hard days shopping!
How many people fumble for the panic button while they r being robbed? They r busy defending themselves or their Louis Vuitton bag!
oanic button costs bmw nothing, closing hatch w/ key fob or another button on the dash costs them plenty on the assembly line, not w/standing legal issues. And they definitely want to MAXIMIZE PROFITS!

Last edited by archwerks; 03-31-2009 at 03:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 09:42 AM   #12
chuck92103
Major
Rep

Quote:
Now that I think about my trip to the Lexus dealer I think you are correct. The hatch on the RX closes much slower than the X6, and requires little resistance to reverse. It might of even made a beeping noise.

Last edited by chuck92103; 03-31-2009 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 01:28 PM   #13
Puttputtmaru
Rep
Drives: X6 35i vermilion and Mini S

Having had a hatch that closes with the remote on my minivan (Honda Odyssey), I agree that this would have been great to have too. When you've got all your groceries or other load in your arms, it is pretty damn hard to reach that button on the hatch to close it with your arms full. It is even worse if you have to put the stuff down in the snow or on the dirty floor of the garage.

Having said that I have to thank BMW for making the BMW tail close very quickly. Some don't like it but I do. I had to wait long enough in the rain for that darn tail to close so that I could turn the alarm on, which you couldn't until the gate was closed on the Honda
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 08:10 PM   #14
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttputtmaru View Post
Having had a hatch that closes with the remote on my minivan (Honda Odyssey), I agree that this would have been great to have too. When you've got all your groceries or other load in your arms, it is pretty damn hard to reach that button on the hatch to close it with your arms full. It is even worse if you have to put the stuff down in the snow or on the dirty floor of the garage.

Having said that I have to thank BMW for making the BMW tail close very quickly. Some don't like it but I do. I had to wait long enough in the rain for that darn tail to close so that I could turn the alarm on, which you couldn't until the gate was closed on the Honda

Agree I do like that it closes quickly , would just like to be able to do it via remote after letting the dog out.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 08:45 PM   #15
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
Panic button is for people who can't find nor remember where they parked their car in the huge parking lots after a hard days shopping!
How many people fumble for the panic button while they r being robbed? They r busy defending themselves or their Louis Vuitton bag!
oanic button costs bmw nothing, closing hatch w/ key fob or another button on the dash costs them plenty on the assembly line, not w/standing legal issues. And they definitely want to MAXIMIZE PROFITS!
I always find it amazing and amusing how many people can't remember a simple thing like 'where did I park my car before I went into the mall'...

But you are right, I didn't even think of the panic button 'so that I can find my car' feature. I have never used this button since I always remember where I parked my car
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 08:47 PM   #16
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Agree I do like that it closes quickly , would just like to be able to do it via remote after letting the dog out.
It'd be nice if you could control the speed and sensitivity just like you can control the final opening height of the tail gate via the iDrive system!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 08:58 PM   #17
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Now that I think about my trip to the Lexus dealer I think you are correct. The hatch on the RX closes much slower than the X6, and requires little resistance to reverse. It might of even made a beeping noise.
It does make an annoying beeping noise the whole time it closes
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2009, 09:01 PM   #18
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
I always find it amazing and amusing how many people can't remember a simple thing like 'where did I park my car before I went into the mall'...
HEHE! I have to admit I have been guilty of this a few times at the airport parking garage when I have been away for 4 or 5 days and i get back and remember which terminal I parked at but forget which floor I parked on
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 04:12 AM   #19
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
HEHE! I have to admit I have been guilty of this a few times at the airport parking garage when I have been away for 4 or 5 days and i get back and remember which terminal I parked at but forget which floor I parked on
OHHHH that was YOU!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #20
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
OHHHH that was YOU!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 09:10 PM   #21
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
+1 me too, especially late flights.
go up elevator, stick fob out and push.
If beep get out
else
next floor repeat.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #22
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
+1 me too, especially late flights.
go up elevator, stick fob out and push.
If beep get out
else
next floor repeat.
So they should really relabel the button into:

I forgot...help me remember button
Appreciate 0