XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-25-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
herol
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Arrow Active steering and power tailgate retrofit?

Hi am sorry if answer exist in forum, but i cant find it.

Can someone answer is this possible ?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

I have both but don't know about retrofit. I would think the power tailgate would be doable but would think the steering would require a lot to be removed to install.
Give it a few a someone will post, there are some very knowledgeable folks here.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
I have both but don't know about retrofit. I would think the power tailgate would be doable but would think the steering would require a lot to be removed to install.
Give it a few a someone will post, there are some very knowledgeable folks here.
I don't know the answer to that question but would have to agree with dmlgc that it seems you could possibly retrofit the power liftgate but I could not see you retrofitting Active Steering without a lot of out of pocket money and it would probably cost you three or four times what the option cost originally if it could even be done.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Don't think there is a retrofit kit for the power tailgate, but it should be doable to put this feature in. I'm not sure if programming is involved for this feature (but knowing BMW there most likely is).

As to the active steering, personally I would not attempt to retrofit a function like this. It would involve way too many changes on the entire steering system, including reprogramming of the various board computers involved with the steering system. Also, you would have to do a complete recalibration and realignment of the steering wheels once completed. But if you look at all the additional parts involved, this would ONLY be a job for a dealership shop and I HIGHLY doubt they would even attempt such a modification. If you are really desperate for this feature, I think you would have to look at trading your car in and getting one that has that feature!

I'll have a look and see if I can post some info on the power tailgate parts.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 09:03 PM   #5
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Automatic Trunk Lid Mechanism:

Had a quick look in the parts database. Here is what I found:

Gas-filled strut, rear lid, left
51 24 7 201 939

Gas-filled strut, rear lid, right
51 24 7 201 940

For vehicles with automatic trunk lid mechanism S316A = Yes

Spindle drive, left
51 24 7 188 489

Spindle drive, right
51 24 7 188 490

So it appears that the the two Gas-filled struts get replaced with two Spindle Drives. Part numbers are above listed below each item.

Sorry, don't have my program handy to post the actual image right now. If I find the time, I will do that later. Hope this helps.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 09:04 PM   #6
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Sorry, forgot to mention that these are the part numbers for the North American market, didn't look if the part numbers are different for other markets (sometimes they are).
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Some of the other members that have an X6 and the automatic trunk lid option might be able to tell you if there is an actual electrical connection to the two Spindle Drives (they look like gas filled struts). If so, maybe someone can post a picture and herol can have a look and see if his car has those connections (but tucked away out of site behind the liner). Pictures should give him an idea of where the connections would be located and where he can take a look to see if it's worth going through all the work (and expense) to try and add this feature to his car. If the cables are not present, it may still be doable but would most likely involve pulling in the control connections which means you would have to remove the headliner (at least partially), etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
Don't think there is a retrofit kit for the power tailgate, but it should be doable to put this feature in. I'm not sure if programming is involved for this feature (but knowing BMW there most likely is).

As to the active steering, personally I would not attempt to retrofit a function like this. It would involve way too many changes on the entire steering system, including reprogramming of the various board computers involved with the steering system. Also, you would have to do a complete recalibration and realignment of the steering wheels once completed. But if you look at all the additional parts involved, this would ONLY be a job for a dealership shop and I HIGHLY doubt they would even attempt such a modification. If you are really desperate for this feature, I think you would have to look at trading your car in and getting one that has that feature!

I'll have a look and see if I can post some info on the power tailgate parts.
I'm sure there would be reprogramming involved as you can set the max opening height via iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 01:54 AM   #9
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure there would be reprogramming involved as you can set the max opening height via iDrive.
Good point!

Forgot all about that
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
As well as your key fob would have to be reprogrammed somehow because you can also open the tailgate from key fob
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2009, 10:58 PM   #11
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
As well as your key fob would have to be reprogrammed somehow because you can also open the tailgate from key fob
Don't think that you have to reprogram the key fob for that function. I'm pretty sure the key fobs are all the same no matter if you have an automatic tailgate or not. I think it's a matter of settings in the controllers inside the car.
Appreciate 0