XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-05-2019, 12:58 PM   #1
094.8x5
Private
Rep
Drives: black on black on black

Engine fire wall cover/protector ?

Mine is sagging off the attachment points,,not sure what it's called,,couldn't find it on ECS Tuning cuz I don't know what its called,,,lol. thx much
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 12:59 PM   #2
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

Partitions
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 01:09 PM   #3
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Do your engine a favor and throw it out (your engine cover and the rear parition). I am still on the fence if BMW left the engine compartment design up to the night cleaning crew and thus is was born of pure incompetence or if it was a carefully executed diabolical plan to accelerate the failure rates of those wonderful plastic and rubber parts through heat saturation, sening your back for more part$$$$
Appreciate 1
pdX5M111.50
      03-05-2019, 01:09 PM   #4
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 094.8x5 View Post
Mine is sagging off the attachment points,,not sure what it's called,,couldn't find it on ECS Tuning cuz I don't know what its called,,,lol. thx much
as mentioned above they called engine partitions, there are 3 pieces total, central, left and right.
do uself a favor and buy a set of eBay for about $40 (all 3) rather than spending $200 at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 01:14 PM   #5
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Here's some more food for thought....scan through this forum, look at how many threads on dried out vacuum lines, busted CCV tubes, leaking seals....BMW made the E70s engine compartment a TOMB...no wonder everything dries out and fails long before it should.....Let your engine breath and ditch that rear parition and the silly engine cover (keep the rain gutters though)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 01:26 PM   #6
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

Redneck, I think all engine compartment suffers from heat soak. Its just Bmw uses parts that have poor poor quality. Doesn’t matter if you drive without a hood lol, when it breaks, it will break.
My hood latch on the passenger side just broke?!! Really? In my 20+ of driving and owning over dozens of vehicle from old to new, this is my first. What a nightmare! Had to use boroscope, metal rods and whatever super skills I have.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 01:29 PM   #7
rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
as mentioned above they called engine partitions, there are 3 pieces total, central, left and right.
do uself a favor and buy a set of eBay for about $40 (all 3) rather than spending $200 at the dealer.
Agreed, this is a terrible setup on the e70...

The lower center that also breaks... Part number: 51717169422

Plus the little side covers that also break.... Part numbers: 51757171791, 51757171792 (ebay ones work well but were the same price as OEM) I got them instead of OEM knowing that the OEM material doesn't last.

I got the 3 piece ebay setup along with all of the other pieces incuding an OEM lower center. The 3 piece ebay replacement works pretty well. I did notice that it was hard to get the screw points aligned. I am not sure if they are slightly smaller than stock or if the stock setup really has them pull inward to fit (creating a stress point on them). I ended up trimming the notches on them them slightly to relieve the stress that they would have when pulling outward on the center piece. I actually wonder if they forgot to account for the material shrinkage after molding.... The ebay versions are either from the same factory as the originals or were made from a mold of the original. Mine even had BMW logos and part numbers on them... I am not sure if the material is the same as OEM (I hope not in this case).

As mentioned I bought a new OEM lower center which is a pain to install and it also broke off in the lower outside connection points right out of the box. I ended up putting some JB weld to fix the cracks and strengthen it and so far so good....

The lower center is about the same price for the knockoff ebay version but any change from the stock material is likely a good thing so I would either just get the ebay instead of the OEM hoping for the best or buy from a supplier that does a lifetime warranty on it. I probably should have just returned mine but I wanted to put it back together and it was in a hidden spot where JB weld made it stronger than new.

-Rich
      03-07-2019, 05:00 PM   #8
pdX5M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Do your engine a favor and throw it out (your engine cover and the rear parition). I am still on the fence if BMW left the engine compartment design up to the night cleaning crew and thus is was born of pure incompetence or if it was a carefully executed diabolical plan to accelerate the failure rates of those wonderful plastic and rubber parts through heat saturation, sening your back for more part$$$$
I ditched the rear partition and engine cover as well. It was sagging off so badly that it wasn't doing anything to keep out moisture anyway. Vehicle is garaged and we don't get snow here in Portland so I'm not to worried about snow blowing in there. We do however get a shit ton of rain so after a short drive today I opened up the hood to check and all water gets caught by the gutter below the wipers. Air flow should be much improved now
- 2013 X5 M - Silverstone Metallic w/ Black Perforated Complete Merino - All OEM Options - 12.5mm/20mm Spacers - Velos Stage 2 - xHP Stage 3 - AA Catless - Megan Racing Supremo - PTP Blanket - K&N Drop In -
Appreciate 0