XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-08-2015, 09:40 PM   #1
mixa86
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 335xi MSport

DriveShaft FAIL =(

So few weeks ago I first read about 11' x5 with 35i having the failed driveshaft in certain production dates, the same production my 11 35i M-Sport, hoped it would not affect and yesterday it happened =\

Started driving up a hill from a stop after a red light, as soon as i got to the top of it heard a metal scuffing underneath, as i saw nothing in my rear view mirror i pulled over right away, didn't go over 30mph even. I get out i bend down and i see a waterfall of fluids pouring, my heart sank as i just knew what it was and just prayed for minimal damage.

So i towed the x5 to my friends shop who work on a lot of bmws, in hopes of not terrible knows. So i mentioned to them about reading about this and there was possibly a recall on it. So we looked it up and sure enough its listed under campaign or something that there is an issue with the U Joints. So they took my car apart underneath to verify and sure enough my driveshaft failed, ripping some hoses. So one of the guys at globe auto has a buddy that works for BMW of Freehold, he called up to see what they can say about this whole ordeal.

After speaking to a BMW tech and the advisor, they looked up my cars info and saw that they performed a U Joint check and it passed which meant this issue should not arise. After the advisor and the tech talked to decide how they want to proceed, they decided to cover my X5 that is not under warranty for full all repairs, due to this happening because they said it should be okay. And also found there is another recall for the VANOS. Besides my two towing fees i had between the 2 places that I'm going to try to get reimbursed for it was a very good out coming and got a car to drive around so I'm not housebound.
Also the bmw advisor said this issue happens way to often, he just did an x6 the day before.

Could not have gotten any luckier and good freehold bmw!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 09:38 AM   #2
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 2008 MHD'd / x5d E70

good to know!!

Its a shame considering Japanese brands don't go through issues we do
Mods: 7" VRSF FMIC, Forge DVs, RB PCV, BMS Oil Cooler, VRSF DPs, MHD, JB4g5, OFT DIYs: Walnut blasting : Trans Oil at 45k, w Filter at 65k : Diff Oil Flush @ 45k : WP&TS @ 69k : Alternator @ 79k --- E70d Alphabet Soup del 44.4k : JR Stg2.25 tune : Buzzken Catted Exhaust : Trans fluid drain/ fill (3 Qrts), both Diffs fluids flushed Wheels: Style 95s on PSSs (Sold): AG 359s on S04s : 162s on Blizzaks : Rohana RF1 Matt black
Appreciate 0