XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

01-18-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Why no diesel X6 in N. Am?

Bmw has x5 35D in n.America.
MB, Audi, Vw etc.all have diesels here, so don't tell me diesel fuel here is not up to standard.
Now someone mentioned a bmw 40D engine ?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
eg3
Private
Rep
Drives: X6 35i

Diesel prices have been higher than gas prices historically which negates the need for the diesel a bit but I think most Americans don't like the truck sound of the engine. Even with all the silencing, there's still a good amount of truckish sound heard from outside and I don't think people pay for the X6 and expect to get no truck from it.

One other thing is that, esp due to CA emissions, the larger diesel engines come with the urea tank that needs to get refilled in a year or so.. With the diesel SUV prices on par with the gas ones, and since the gas is lower now, I don't think anybody cares that much about the mileage but the sportiness, looks and the sound of an X6.

My family has a Range Rover and Merc E series diesel in Turkey and they make a lot of sense over there but in N.A, I personally would only get a cheap diesel car/SUV and use it as a daily driver instead.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 05:57 AM   #3
BMWmondo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i M-Sport

Question Will it ever happen?

Can anyone tell me if BMW has ever made any statements about selling an X6 diesel in the US? I would be very interested in one.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
ifly
Cruising!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Also NA refineries are predominantly setup for gasoline production whereas European are predominantly diesel. Due to cost of new refineries this will probably not change for the foreseeable future.
Appreciate 0