XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-05-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Power Liftgate

I have found with my car, if I unlock the driver door or all doors first, then press the trunk button on the fob for 2-3 seconds (any longer and the alarm will sound) the lift gate will open.

Or if the doors are locked, if I press the trunk button once for a second, and then again for 2-3 seconds the lift gate opens.

It seems I simply cannot walk up to the X6, press the trunk button on the fob once for 203 seconds and the gate will open.

Anyone else notice this?
      11-05-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
I have found with my car, if I unlock the driver door or all doors first, then press the trunk button on the fob for 2-3 seconds (any longer and the alarm will sound) the lift gate will open.

Or if the doors are locked, if I press the trunk button once for a second, and then again for 2-3 seconds the lift gate opens.

It seems I simply cannot walk up to the X6, press the trunk button on the fob once for 203 seconds and the gate will open.

Anyone else notice this?

Yes I have noticed what I consider a delay. I push unlock as I'm walking up to car then push liftgate button but it doesn't seem to register, I end up pressing the unlock button again( this must be your 2-3 seconds) then the liftgate again to get it to open.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
sariggs1
Scott R.
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6 xDrive 50I

Garage List
2012 X6 50I  [0.00]
2006 Volvo XC90 V8  [0.00]
2001 996 Turbo  [0.00]
I can just walk up to the car, push the button on under the liftgate and it takes about 2 seconds, then opens. I never use the FOB, it stays in my pocket. You might have a problem.
Black Sapphire Metallic with Saddle Brown Nevada Leather, Comfort Access keyless entry, Running boards, Rear-View Camera, Dark Bamboo wood trim, HUD, HD Radio, Satellite Radio, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Rear Climate Package, Sport Package, Euro Black Kidney Grill, Euro Side Markers, Black Double Spoke 215 Wheels...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
Bavorak
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6 xdrive35i/ P-car

Mine opens with one click as well, provided the doors are unlocked. Although with comfort access I just pull on the tab under the gate usually, fob never leaves my pocket. Now if we can only figure out a way to close it with the key fob.

I thought that was the whole point of the power lift gate, pull a large item out of the trunk with both hands, how the heck are you supposed to reach up to press the button if your hands are full? I know you could always put the item down, but if its raining or snow on the ground than this is not exactly an option.

On a side note about the comfort access and how its not always a good thing...
I was at the dealer getting some memory settings configured and after returning my car to the delivery port the gentleman opens the drivers door for me and I drive away assuming the key was in the ignition.

Long story short, the key was in his pocket, car was started, and i drove away to find out once i arrived home I could not shut the car off because my spare was at the office. Luckily the dealer is only 15mins from home:-))) Back I go!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
chuckd123
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 35i

I can walk up to my X6, with all doors locked, hold the trunk button down on the FOB for one second->release and the lift gate opens. Any longer it doesnt, to long the alarm goes off. Hope this helps. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 10:30 PM   #6
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sariggs1 View Post
I can just walk up to the car, push the button on under the liftgate and it takes about 2 seconds, then opens. I never use the FOB, it stays in my pocket. You might have a problem.
In my case I'm talking about via the FOB, button under liftgate works fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 10:31 PM   #7
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd123 View Post
I can walk up to my X6, with all doors locked, hold the trunk button down on the FOB for one second->release and the lift gate opens. Any longer it doesnt, to long the alarm goes off. Hope this helps. Thanks

interesting I hadn't thought about doing it with the doors locked. Will give that a try.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 10:33 PM   #8
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavorak View Post

I was at the dealer getting some memory settings configured and after returning my car to the delivery port the gentleman opens the drivers door for me and I drive away assuming the key was in the ignition.

Long story short, the key was in his pocket, car was started, and i drove away to find out once i arrived home I could not shut the car off because my spare was at the office. Luckily the dealer is only 15mins from home:-))) Back I go!

Sorry to be mean but that makes me LOL

Last edited by dmlgc; 11-06-2009 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 12:15 AM   #9
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Amazed u got no warning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavorak View Post
Mine opens with one click as well, provided the doors are unlocked. Although with comfort access I just pull on the tab under the gate usually, fob never leaves my pocket. Now if we can only figure out a way to close it with the key fob.

I thought that was the whole point of the power lift gate, pull a large item out of the trunk with both hands, how the heck are you supposed to reach up to press the button if your hands are full? I know you could always put the item down, but if its raining or snow on the ground than this is not exactly an option.

When i drive out of the garage& remember somthing i forgot in the garage,
I walk back to the garage, w/ key in pocket, w/ car in the backlane, the car would sound warning that key is not detected.
Did u not get any alarm on the dash as u drove away??
Imagine if u lived 50+ miles away fr. dealer on a friday pm rush! What happened to u can be real inconvenient access!
Wonder if u had called the emergency help centre on your SAT NAV, if they could have shut it off for u & restart it the next day.
I can always open the liftgate with the fob, independent of the door locks.
I've walked back to my car many times just to get something fr. the trunk. When i open the trunk w/fob the doors r still locked. When i'm done i close the lid w/ button on the lid & evrything's locked.
I've tried opening the trunk from the liftgate switch w/o carryin my key in the garage, even with doors unlocked, & it does not open. I have to use switch on the dash or carry the fob.
Just like setting up a program on a computer, it can be set thru the computer when the car was prepped by he dealer.
I'm told by the mechanics that when the car leaves the factory, it is not prepped for delivery, the car only has limited engine power, & only the drivers door can be opened. Everything works only after the computer downloads programming at the dealer. Probably hooking it up to the internet connect back to the factory. Just like microsoft update (dreadful) ! That's why in some european or middleast market some x6's can have fob activated hatch closing, but not in North. Am.

Last edited by archwerks; 11-06-2009 at 12:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 05:39 PM   #10
Bavorak
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
When i drive out of the garage& remember somthing i forgot in the garage,
I walk back to the garage, w/ key in pocket, w/ car in the backlane, the car would sound warning that key is not detected.
Did u not get any alarm on the dash as u drove away??
Imagine if u lived 50+ miles away fr. dealer on a friday pm rush! What happened to u can be real inconvenient access!
Wonder if u had called the emergency help centre on your SAT NAV, if they could have shut it off for u & restart it the next day.
I can always open the liftgate with the fob, independent of the door locks.
I've walked back to my car many times just to get something fr. the trunk. When i open the trunk w/fob the doors r still locked. When i'm done i close the lid w/ button on the lid & evrything's locked.
I've tried opening the trunk from the liftgate switch w/o carryin my key in the garage, even with doors unlocked, & it does not open. I have to use switch on the dash or carry the fob.
Just like setting up a program on a computer, it can be set thru the computer when the car was prepped by he dealer.
I'm told by the mechanics that when the car leaves the factory, it is not prepped for delivery, the car only has limited engine power, & only the drivers door can be opened. Everything works only after the computer downloads programming at the dealer. Probably hooking it up to the internet connect back to the factory. Just like microsoft update (dreadful) ! That's why in some european or middleast market some x6's can have fob activated hatch closing, but not in North. Am.
Thanks for the detailed analysis, I did not get any warning indicator on the dash when driving away, this makes alot of sense and I would have noticed this before pulling out of the dealers lot.

So you are saying in North America the dealer can'T program the FOB to close the gate as well? Would this be something a independant BMW mechanic could do, or is it the version of our software that doesnt have this feature available?

I asked if this was possible during my PDI and they told me you cant, only the button on the gate will activate the closing mechanism.

Thanks again, you were very helpfull, will ask them about the warning light for the key not being in close proximity next time im in for service.

Kind Regards, David
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #11
Bavorak
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
Sorry to be mean but that makes me LOL

No offence taken, I felt a little embaresed posting this, but I guess we all have our moments once in a while.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2009, 06:23 PM   #12
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Dealer PDI programming

I don't think local bmw dealers have much control over the download program from the factory, during their initial prep work. There is probably a lot of proprietary programs that bmw would not want other people to copy from.
bmw probably don't want local mechanics to fudge w/their OS due to liability issues.
Industrial espionage & all that. That's why it took Dinan months to work out programming to boost the n54 engine.
BMW programmer attitude is " sere is only vun vey, my vey or se hyvey"
Appreciate 0