XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-17-2024, 03:17 PM   #1
M57kevin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E70 Diesel

Garage List
  [0.00]
E70 Diesel finally getting mods

Hi guys, I’m new to the forum and wanted to show off my E70 and how I’m building it out. I’ve had this baby for almost two years now and I’m finally getting around to some major maintenance and adding a few performance bits.

She’s got 130k miles, so first order of business was suspension. Replaced all upper control arms, and added the BC Racing BR coil overs (16k/14k swift springs). I’ve also replaced most of the trim with black or painted it, and I painted the wheels myself (it shows lol).

I read up on this coil kit a bunch and kind of knew what to expect… yep, it’s bouncy alright. I was surprised how how high the rear is at max low, but the forward rake is growing on me. It feels like the springs are settling out some now, and the handling is a very noticeable improvement. Currently set at 22F/13R on the dampers. Spring rate is sporty but not uncomfortable.

Next list items are wheel spacers, replace lower control arm bushings, sway bar links, and engine/trans tunes. Probably going to repaint wheels this summer when the sun is out here in Denver.

Excited to get to know some of you guys!

Tristen
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-17-2024, 03:19 PM   #2
M57kevin
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
More photos:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-17-2024, 11:51 PM   #3
Riesrya
I park my m57 in EV designated charging spots.
Rep
Drives: e70(m57) & e34(m50/m60/m62)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M57kevin View Post
I read up on this coil kit a bunch and kind of knew what to expect… yep, it’s bouncy alright. I was surprised how how high the rear is at max low, but the forward rake is growing on me. It feels like the springs are settling out some now, and the handling is a very noticeable improvement. Currently set at 22F/13R on the dampers. Spring rate is sporty but not uncomfortable.

Next list items are wheel spacers, replace lower control arm bushings, sway bar links, and engine/trans tunes. Probably going to repaint wheels this summer when the sun is out here in Denver.
I've never had a vehicle become more bouncy after installing coilovers...would getting higher spring rates be a better choice? Just curious, have you tried dampening the struts opposite of your setup now, going lower in the front and higher in the rear?
Doing just that was exactly what my e34 needed to get it from feeling like it was hoping down the freeway.

Also, if you didn't get the adjustable camber top hats from BC, I'd definitely recommend getting some adjustable upper control arms from FCP Euro.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...hd-31126863785
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2024, 04:58 AM   #4
M57kevin
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riesrya View Post
I've never had a vehicle become more bouncy after installing coilovers...would getting higher spring rates be a better choice? Just curious, have you tried dampening the struts opposite of your setup now, going lower in the front and higher in the rear?
Doing just that was exactly what my e34 needed to get it from feeling like it was hoping down the freeway.

Also, if you didn't get the adjustable camber top hats from BC, I'd definitely recommend getting some adjustable upper control arms from FCP Euro.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...hd-31126863785
Actually no, I haven’t tried this yet. Will be adjusting it in the morning to see how that feels. The spring rate feels good, I’m not sure if I’d go any higher personally. It’s stiff but not jarring, definitely less body roll in turns.

The car does have a lot more negative camber after install/alignment. I just assumed the mechanic did this on purpose…. Is it necessary to correct this? I love the way it looks, and (on even roads) it drives like a gokart now
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 06:07 PM   #5
Smonkbmw
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 x5 m57

Garage List
2013 BMW x5 35d  [0.00]
I was wanting to do this exact set up on mine.

It’s interesting the rest is sitting so high, almost looks like it hasn’t been adjusted?

Yes, you want to get the camber as close to factory spec utilizing adjustable arms etc as blowing through 315 rears is not a cheap game.

I had planned on BCs, spacers and someone’s adjustable rear camber arm. I wasn’t aware that BC made a adjustable hat for the front for this car.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2024, 06:14 PM   #6
M57kevin
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smonkbmw View Post
I was wanting to do this exact set up on mine.

It’s interesting the rest is sitting so high, almost looks like it hasn’t been adjusted?

Yes, you want to get the camber as close to factory spec utilizing adjustable arms etc as blowing through 315 rears is not a cheap game.

I had planned on BCs, spacers and someone’s adjustable rear camber arm. I wasn’t aware that BC made a adjustable hat for the front for this car.
I spoke to BC Racing customer service today after sending them some pictures, they said it’s not supposed to sit that high at all. They think my mechanic preloaded it way too high causing it to force the car up. Actually in the process of adjusting it now, but I had to fix a loose control arm bolt first… the mechanic is a re*ard. He won’t be touching my car again.

I’ll look you know how the coils feel once they’re installed CORRECTLY.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-18-2024, 08:00 PM   #7
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
I spoke to BC Racing customer service today after sending them some pictures, they said it’s not supposed to sit that high at all. They think my mechanic preloaded it way too high causing it to force the car up. Actually in the process of adjusting it now, but I had to fix a loose control arm bolt first… the mechanic is a re*ard. He won’t be touching my car again.

I’ll look you know how the coils feel once they’re installed CORRECTLY.
Appreciate 2
jbash87249.50
      03-21-2024, 05:08 PM   #8
DWN-N-OUT
Enlisted Member
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

Definitely interested in seeing some pictures when you get it all adjusted, this is the next thing I'm looking at doing to my X5D. I'm just trying to decide if I want to go with the extreme lows or not to get the ride height I want.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 10:07 AM   #9
noznab
Registered
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35D

Would love to hear an update about these coilovers too. Hard to bite the bullet on KW V3s if these are a viable option
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2024, 10:16 AM   #10
M57kevin
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Update: things have been rough to say the least. The guy I paid to install the kit screwed everything up. Loose control arm bolts, stripped threads, nothing was installed correctly. Had to pay another mechanic to reinstall everything ($$$$) and now it’s doing better. The ride height is still an issue, I can’t get the rear to go down any lower than 2” wheel gap. Kate from BC Racing confirmed the 228mm front springs and 178mm rears are the correct length, so we are still not sure why it won’t go any lower. Hopefully will get it figured out soon.

BC’s customer service is stellar, they always respond within a few hours and have been super helpful.

For anyone deciding on spring rates, I got the 16k/14k swift springs. They are STIFF. Almost track car stiff. I wouldn’t recommend unless you’re really willing to sacrifice ride quality for performance. They do handle like a dream, on the Colorado mountain roads it makes a 5000lb SUV feel like a go kart. Major performance upgrade, even at stock height.

I Will continue to update as things happen.

Tristen
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 11:44 AM   #11
noznab
Registered
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35D

Quote:
Update: things have been rough to say the least. The guy I paid to install the kit screwed everything up. Loose control arm bolts, stripped threads, nothing was installed correctly. Had to pay another mechanic to reinstall everything ($$$$) and now it’s doing better. The ride height is still an issue, I can’t get the rear to go down any lower than 2” wheel gap. Kate from BC Racing confirmed the 228mm front springs and 178mm rears are the correct length, so we are still not sure why it won’t go any lower. Hopefully will get it figured out soon.

BC’s customer service is stellar, they always respond within a few hours and have been super helpful.

For anyone deciding on spring rates, I got the 16k/14k swift springs. They are STIFF. Almost track car stiff. I wouldn’t recommend unless you’re really willing to sacrifice ride quality for performance. They do handle like a dream, on the Colorado mountain roads it makes a 5000lb SUV feel like a go kart. Major performance upgrade, even at stock height.

I Will continue to update as things happen.

Tristen
If you had to do it over again would you still go with BC's or would you bite the bullet on a set of V3's? What other spring rates do they offer?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 11:54 AM   #12
M57kevin
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by noznab View Post
If you had to do it over again would you still go with BC's or would you bite the bullet on a set of V3's? What other spring rates do they offer?
If you’re going to get coilovers, the BC ones are just fine and there’s no need to spend the extra money. They perform very well, very little body roll and tight predictable handling (especially with -2 degrees of camber). But, you are sacrificing any comfortability the X5 has for this performance bump, so it better be worth it to you. BC will sell you any spring rate you want, but I’d stick with the stock 14k/12k unless you are going to the track. If it’s not your project car, just don’t do it. I somewhat regret the decision as the roads around me suck and I drive it to work every day.
Appreciate 2
noznab0.00
jbash87249.50