BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-30-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
dean_g
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW F80 M3

Sticky situation -- Car is at the port and needs bumper replaced.

This whole situation the more and more I think about it is extremely annoying. So I did my CA and the dealer a FAVOR of signing papers PRIOR to my car even being at the dealer so they could get the deal for this month like they wanted. (This is something I am not even sure is LEGAL being the car was not in stock and they made lease papers for it.)

So after all is signed and I left i was told the car would be there today 11/30 OR tomorrow 12/01.

Today I get a call telling me there is some bad news and there was a scratch or some damage on the bumper of my 1M and that they were not going to fix it for me but rather order me a whole new bumper. This while the car is still at the port.

So my CA tells me he is very sorry and that they will make up for this by reimbursing me with a $150.00 check from the BMW dealer itself for the inconvenience of me already starting to pay for a which I wont have for a few days, and then was told that i should be able to pick up the car monday 12/5 or tuesday 12/6 (which i highly doubt).

So I said ok on the phone being there really was not much more I could say or do. About 30 minutes later I receive a phone call from my CA again telling me that the general manager or who ever is in charge rejected to pay those $150.00, but that the CA himself was going to take that out of his pocket and give me a 150.00 credit towards BMW parts. (Which is generous on his part imo) but that still does not cover the arrogance of the GM of the dealer which said that i deserve no credit of $150.00 being I am lucky i even bought the car at sticker price. (that is what i was told by my CA regarding why the GM rejected to pay the $150.00)

What would you do at this point in my shoes?

Regards,
dean_g
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

I'm guessing they knew there was a problem, so they had you sign before the car arrived. Maybe not, but it sure seems likely.

Having said that, would it have been any different if you'd waited? Would you have rejected the car? I doubt it. So you end up in the same place either way. Now, as for compensation, yeah $150 seems kinda cheap to begin with, and the GM is an ass if he doesn't give you that.

If I were you, I'd contact BMWNA, and ask them their policy on signing for a car before you get it. Maybe if they get involved...
      11-30-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

After all that consternation about getting the car early... it all sounds shady to me.

But not sure what you can do now, you've signed already. Might think about another dealer for servicing?
      11-30-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Good point sergeremi, that might be his best leverage. Also, if the CA is taking $150 "out of his pocket", tell him you prefer CASH. Why should it matter to him if it's truly coming out of his pocket. (hint, it's not). Sounds completely crappy to me and sadly typical of the auto sales world.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
Beemer22
Banned
Iran
Rep
Drives: SOLD: 2002 BMW M3, 2011 BMW 1M

This happens once or twice a month. It's not a big deal at all. Don't stress over it.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
Beemer22
Banned
Iran
Rep

Whatever you do, DO NOT trash the survey you will get from BMW NA as that only takes away $$ from the sales person. Even though most questions are not directed at the CA, the negative survey will only affect him.

Bumpers get damaged about once or twice per month and they are repaired right there at the port. It's really no big deal.

I'm sure you can talk the CA into 1M floor mats and 1M car cover.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Thats sucks man, I hate fucking dealers and there cheating ways. Unfortunately it doesn't sounds like you have much choice but to just wait it out until Monday or Tuesday and hopefully get the car as promised again in perfect condition. Please keep us updated on your situation. Best of luck to you.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 09:21 PM   #8
Beemer22
Banned
Iran
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerbeast View Post
Thats sucks man, I hate fucking dealers and there cheating ways. Unfortunately it doesn't sounds like you have much choice but to just wait it out until Monday or Tuesday and hopefully get the car as promised again in perfect condition. Please keep us updated on your situation. Best of luck to you.
The dealer is not responsible for damages thousands of miles away. They are responsible for telling you about the damage, which they did.

I like how people always trash the dealer, then they come in, take 5 hours of your time, and go buy somewhere else to save $140
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 09:40 PM   #9
mrow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerbeast View Post
The dealer is not responsible for damages thousands of miles away. They are responsible for telling you about the damage, which they did.

I like how people always trash the dealer, then they come in, take 5 hours of your time, and go buy somewhere else to save $140
I get where you're coming from but there was no way they didn't know it was damaged when they asked him to come in and sign for it early. My car was on the same ship as his and my CA was on top it every step of the way from the point it was unloaded with email updates. Very shady move on OP's dealerships part.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 10:08 PM   #10
m3kerry
SCCA B Street
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 M

My front bumper is going to have to be replaced. I think the guys damage stuff all the time. They broke my windshield, had to replace a damaged wheel and the entire front bumper.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #11
Beemer22
Banned
Iran
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrow View Post
I get where you're coming from but there was no way they didn't know it was damaged when they asked him to come in and sign for it early. My car was on the same ship as his and my CA was on top it every step of the way from the point it was unloaded with email updates. Very shady move on OP's dealerships part.
If that's the case, then maybe, except, the salesperson will not get paid for the car unless the car is driven out of the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #12
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Quote:

I like it how dealers are always whining, if you don't like selling...do something else.
      12-01-2011, 12:40 AM   #13
Beemer22
Banned
Iran
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
I like it how dealers are always whining, if you don't like selling...do something else.
?????

I make 140K per year and I LOVE BMW. I just don't like mooches.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 01:01 AM   #14
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:
?????

Guess that commission is more than $300 a car then... Lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 01:12 AM   #15
Beemer22
Banned
Iran
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Guess that commission is more than $300 a car then... Lol.
a 1M at MSRP will get you about $1400 payable
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 08:38 AM   #16
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Quote:
?????

Getting a better deal is not being a mooch....mooching is to obtain something without paying for it...are you telling us you never comparison shop for anything?
      12-01-2011, 08:41 AM   #17
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
They are probably ordering a new bumper painted from Germany (as all bmw bumpers are painted off the car ) you wont even notice it since the paint is so fresh. Get it fixed and be merry
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 08:47 AM   #18
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
a 1M at MSRP will get you about $1400 payable

thanks for the reply.... and certainly.... that makes a very good reason why a CA might want to push to tuck in a sale at month's end...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 09:05 AM   #19
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_g View Post
(Which is generous on his part imo) but that still does not cover the arrogance of the GM of the dealer which said that i deserve no credit of $150.00 being I am lucky i even bought the car at sticker price. (that is what i was told by my CA regarding why the GM rejected to pay the $150.00)

What would you do at this point in my shoes?

Regards,
dean_g
Ok, I feel bad for your situation. It sucks to have a car that doesn't "feel" new and undamaged. The reason why I use quotes around the word "feel", is because you're still getting a new car. Just think, engine, transmission, suspension....all the parts that make the car GO, are still new.

This happens more than people think. You're being made aware of it because your dealer feels obligated, and it is pushing back your delivery date; so they're telling you because you're going to ask for an explanation. Cars are inspected before and after they are shipped, so that BMW can determine if they're responsible for damage or the shipping company is responsible.

my point? what makes you think that this doesn't happen to a small margin of people, regardless of dealer or car manufacturer? is every single 1M supposed to come to the US perfect, without flaws? my tone is not to come across strong, it's just to get you to look at the glass half full, rather than "oh why me" half empty.

as for the tactics of the dealer....let me explain to you what's is more likely going on: the GM is not your friend. he's there for business only. it's end of month, end of year...he's looking at his bottom line...$$$ and profit at year end. it's easier for them to play good guy, bad guy with you. the CA, will be the good guy. they're still giving you $150, but they're making sure it stays at their store. (again, GM is thinking about bottom line). the CA is "saying" that it's coming from his pocket, but it's not...trust me.

all in all, this happens. you're getting $150 for your inconvenience...so what should you do? my advice....inspect the car, and be happy that they A). were honest with you and B). you got $150 for your dates to be pushed back. it's not like you're going to refuse the car, right?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #20
inluvwithastripper
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
I also like how salesmen act like they're performing a service for you by trying to sell you a car; like you owe them a purchase.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 11:01 AM   #21
Beemer22
Banned
Iran
Rep

The salesman will not get this car to count as a sale untill it's delivered folks.

siighhhhh...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #22
dean_g
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW F80 M3

Quote:
The salesman will not get this car to count as a sale untill it's delivered folks.

siighhhhh...
Incorrect. The car did count for this month. The papers are all signed and its as if the car is at my house when it really isn't. so Dealer - 1 Me - 0

#losing
Appreciate 0