XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

04-18-2016, 10:09 AM   #23
E9TOU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
Ferrari has made some very questionable calls -- like their tire choices after the red flag in Australia and deciding to hold Vettle in the garage until the last minute in Q3.

I don't understand why some teams wait until the last minute to release their drivers during qualifying sessions. Sometimes it works, and sometimes the driver screws up and doesn't have enough time for a second attempt, or another driver screws up and red flags the session. Seems like a silly strategy to me.

Either way, I thought this was a pretty good race overall. This track seemed to let the Redbulls shine and opposite for the McLarens -- their pace is still too slow to compete.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 10:46 AM   #24
five_timer
no turbo, no auto, no iDrive, no kidding
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by E9TOU View Post
I don't understand why some teams wait until the last minute to release their drivers during qualifying sessions. Sometimes it works, and sometimes the driver screws up and doesn't have enough time for a second attempt, or another driver screws up and red flags the session. Seems like a silly strategy to me.
I think the strategy is to do 1 killer quali lap on supersofts, while preserving them enough to use them for the start of the race to take the lead.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #25
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

The race was good but quali was down right boring compared to the new now abandoned format. A pity the challenge for 1st was over in the first turn but otherwise an eventful and fun race.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 01:12 PM   #26
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

FP3 / Qualy

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 01:44 PM   #27
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

Race

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 03:14 PM   #28
rob24ert
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.I.P. View Post
I will never understand people who continuously complain about F1 and how it is boring now and they miss the glory days of the 70's, 80's, 90's etc... yet they obviously continue to tune in week after week just to complain some more. Get over it! Yes the sport has changed, Yes i am sure all of us would like to have more a a challenge to Mercedes up front but stop acting like these races are a complete bore to watch. If you can watch a race like this past weekend's Chinese GP or even this year's Australian GP and call it "Boring" I'm not entirely sure you fully understand Motorsports at all. Just because a race isn't finishing we a battle for 1st place on the last turn of the last lap it doesn't mean the race an or the sport itself is "boring" or "awful". For the most part week after week there are great battles going on all race long from 4th place to 18th place (everything between the front runners and back markers). Plenty of great passing etc. Not everybody is a Mercedes/Ferrari/Williams/Redbull fan... I would bet most of the people complaining and saying F1 is Boring are fans of the aforementioned teams who are just annoyed their period of dominance has passed.

Rant over...

Now to the race itself. So much hype and so much anticipation for Ferrari this weekend. They were fastest all weekend except when it mattered most. Their strategists have now cost them 2 races this season in my opinion. Australia for the obvious reasons and now China! Why they felt it was a good idea to have leave Vettel with only enough time for 1 flying lap in Q3 is beyond me especially having seen Nico's lap with enough time left on the clock to run at least 2 solid laps. This poor decision led to Kimi and Vettle starting form the second row and opened them up to the incident which pretty much guaranteed Nico the race. Had they put in a proper Qualifying effort and started 1-2 or even split teh first and second rows the incident does not happen and Nico would not have been able to get away as easily or perhaps at all.

On a positive note it does seem like Ferrari's pace is for real and if they manage to get their act together one of these weekends we might get a real show up front...

Cant wait for the next race but more than that i cannot wait until Montreal in June! I'll be there again, Grandstand 24 L'Epingle hairpin beer in hand here's hoping for excellent weather all weekend
I agree with everything you said!

Also, i will see you in montreal too! Just purchasing my tickets now, either 34 all weekend or the ga/31/33 combo for fri/sat/sun!

We should do a BMW meet too haha
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 11:50 PM   #29
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Funny to watch Massa's dad get all excited about his son defending his place against Lewis's damaged car. Yet the very next lap, Ricciardo passed Massa with ease. Meanwhile Rosberg/Mercedes were murdering the field by 36 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 07:39 PM   #30
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Good race - is it just me or did it look like a very small crowd at this race? Looked like a fair amount of empty seats and not many people watching from the grass.