XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

05-17-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

PalBay's Big Adventure-A Test Drive!

Hey guys logged some serious miles in an X6 yesterday!!!The local dealership found a VR w/ Sport Package after selling what was suppose to be their demo X6 w/ Sport Package the day it arrived!I was able to drive the car about 2 hrs around town and on some pretty neat switchbacks I know about!The interior was Black Nevada Leather.Very nice! I'm just not a black interior person.To hot in the summer for me.The car had Premium Pckg,Pemium Sound,Rear Climate,Techno Pckg,Rear View Camera,20" Y Wheels. I won't belabor the interior since I've spent quite a bit of time sitting in an X6 prior to driving one and mentioned my thoughts in previous post.The X6 did have the 20 way Comfort Seats....very very nice!Once behind the wheel I drove mostly in city traffic first.Coming out of my X3 you definitely sense the higher ride height of the X6.Not a problem for me since that is something I'm looking for.Rear and side visibility is not smashing.Even w/ the large side view mirrors I found myself checking and rechecking several times before making lane changes.I guess the side visibility is not that much worst than most full size SUV's.The rear quarterpanel blind spots are a real issue.The ole fast glance over the shoulder just won't cut it in the X6. All the driver controls seemed well placed and easy to reach.The shift paddles seemed to work fine.Whether the shift paddles are quicker than than the console mounted shifter is hard for me to say.I used both but just could not tell much difference in shifting speed or quality of the shifts given my limited driving time.The paddles are easier to use IMO. I know I will catch some grief about this...but....I did notice turbo lag in the TTI6 engine.The lag is almost inperceptable,but its there.It's a very ,very slight hesitation when you hammer the gas,but I did feel the lag.Probably not a problem to most people who will buy the X6.Speaking of the engine,I do love the exhaust note from inside the car.You can tell you are driving a sporty car ,but it's not so loud that you can't carry on a conversation or hear the radio.It was very windy yesterday and I did hear some wind noise from around the side view mirrors.I think it was more the windy day today (40 MPH gust) vs any design issue w/ the side view mirrors. The brakes on this particular X6 have a longer brake petal than I was accustomed to based on my X3.The X6 stopped fine.....I just had to push harder than w/ my X3.I know the X6 is heavier and maybe that was the difference that I felt.This X6 had the standard steering and not active steering.The steering felt fine to me.Weighted just right for the interstate and not to bad at low speed when you turn around in a parking lot or driveway. The TTI6 had plenty of power entering traffic from a side street or jumping on the interstate.The TTI6 IMO is plenty of power for the X6.I never felt like the car was going to bog or wallow ( notwithstanding the slight turbo lag ) i.e. the car is not underpowered for it's size and weight. The X6 is AMAZING on the switchbacks!!!We hit it hard enough to feel the DPC kick in and Active Roll Stabilization do it's job.The DPC sensation is unlike anything I've felt in an Electronic Stability Control car when those systems engage.The ESC in most cars kills power and/or brakes certain wheels when it senses you are over or understeering.The DPC over rotates the outside rear wheel in a curve and causes the front of the car to point back into the curve.The first thing you notice about DPC is that you never really sense a slowdown in the curve.Because DPC does not brake or kill power you don't sense a lost of speed in the corners. The feeling of not slowing down in a curve is a little scary until you get use to the sensation!!!!The best way I can describe DPC is that it feels like a giant hand grabs the top of the X6 and rotates the car around it's center axis's.You stay in the gas and this giant hand rotates you right around the corner.Weird feeling...but it works!!! This post is long enough.My drive only reinforced my belief that this car will be my next ride.It's a great vehicle for certain people who need some room,driving dynamics and sports car looks.If I forgot something I'll make additional post. Thanks! PalBay
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
simon š
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x6

Great Post !!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 02:06 PM   #3
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep

X6 Test Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon š View Post
Great Post !!!!!
Thanks much! PalBay
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
Mr.Marvelous
the name says it all...
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 320i Sport Line

Thanks PalBay

I loved part you described how the DPC interfered while cornering.
      05-17-2008, 03:05 PM   #5
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

Good Post, Double-Oh Palbay! (How could I say anything else when you had almost the same reactions I did?)

Interesting that we both noticed turbo lag in the TT six engine and yet nothing has been written about it anywhere. It may be to do with the engine being in a big, heavy vehicle; perhaps in lighter cars the lag wouldn't be (so) noticeable.

I am envious that you managed to get out on some twisties. There was too much traffic when I had my drive to see what happened in spirited driving on winding roads. After reading your post, I can't wait to get out there!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2008, 07:21 PM   #6
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep

X6 Test Drive

Suzie's Dad, I appreciate the nice comments.The X6 is one nice ride! It is baffling that none of the Auto Mag/Web Site writers have mentioned the lag w/ the TTI6 engine.It's not bad but there nonetheless.Maybe no one wants to pick a fight w/ the two time International Engine of the Year Award winner!!!???? Thanks Much! PalBay
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 12:06 PM   #7
cheaptrick
cheap
Rep
Drives: 335CIC & 35i X6

PalBay, very nice review. You have given me a lot of insight and information now here is more of the same. Way to go. If you have any more thoughts going forward please post them. I esp liked your comparisons to the X3, which I had originally thought about getting. Thanks again Cheap
      05-18-2008, 09:17 PM   #8
JadeVetti
Bavarian Khaleesi
United_States
Rep
Drives: Waiting for the CS Concept

Thanks for sharing Palbay
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2008, 09:37 PM   #9
mtech8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 19' X5 50i

Awesome review Palbay. Thanxs!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 03:00 AM   #10
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep

X6 Test Drive

JadeVetti,Thanks for the nice comments!.....and welcome over here at xbimmers!!! Your gonna love your X6Thanks.PalBay PS...I'm not up at 4:00AM writing a post.I'm in Vegas this week at a convention.PalBay
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 03:04 AM   #11
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep

Cheap,Thanks much! I've got a couple of other dealerships that owe me an X6 test hop.I'm going to take advantage of the seat time.If anything else comes to mind,I'll sure post it up.Best. PalBay
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 03:07 AM   #12
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep

mtech8, I appreciate the nice comments! Thanks.PalBay
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 03:44 AM   #13
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Palbay,when you in Vegas roll the dice for us..enjoy!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 12:15 PM   #14
JadeVetti
Bavarian Khaleesi
United_States
Rep
Drives: Waiting for the CS Concept

Thanks Palbay!

Don't worry I won't say a word (Vegas rules!)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2008, 08:28 PM   #15
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep

Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda View Post
Palbay,when you in Vegas roll the dice for us..enjoy!!!
Deda, Thanks.....I'm rolling those bones.....hope they turn up "New X6". Best! PalBay
Appreciate 0