XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

08-30-2008, 10:45 AM   #1
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

I'm losing the faith...

There were a couple of threads a while back in which posters were talking about the ML550. It prompted me to go drive one and now I am losing the X6 faith.

It is possible I am going senile, but...

In AMG trim (but not the AMG model) with 21-inch wheels the 2009 Mercedes is about $8,000 less than a 2009 50i here in Canada. It's performance is just slightly less -- but still sub-6-second 0-60 -- but it gets a couple MPG better gas mileage. I'm sure ultimate roadholding is less, but that's not too much of a consideration since most of my boy racer days are long gone in the past. I can't get leather dash or HUD. But it is arguably better looking from the front (see below), although I admit more homely from the side. It is way more practical, and a lot more comfortable on bad roads and things like railroad crossings. COMAND and iDrive tie for being better-than-they-were-but-still-not-great. I think the Mercedes has a better looking interior, but that is, of course, totally subjective. I found the seats good but not as good as the BMW multi-contour seats. And one thing that has been irking me about the X6 since it first came out is that I can get headlight washers on the ML550 without having to combine them in a silly "activity" package! Both vehicles have the new style gear shift lever and both have annoying why-did-they-do-this turn signals.

I looked at the ML back in 2002 before I bought my X5. It was a truck, pure and simple, nothing at all like the BMW. But now it has unibody construction, has gotten over the quality problems, and is a far more desirable driver-oriented vehicle.

I can get a 2.7% prepaid lease with a 36-month residual value locked in at 50%. If I invest the money I save by not paying cash, the final out-of-pocket cost is about the same as not leasing, so that's a good deal to get a guaranteed value in three years.

Do any of the people who were considering the Mercedes have any comments?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #2
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
The ML is a beautiful car and its definitly one of my more favorite benz models and in my mind there is a stiff competition between the ML and the X5. However the X6 still wins hands down over the ML IMO because of

#1, interior quality of the BMW is still leaps and bounds ahead of the benz (although the benz does look nicer in pictures.. in person its a different story IMO).

#2 the BMW gives a much better drive feeling, and I'm assuming (never having driven an X6) it will be even more sporty then an X5-is model which will really put a big gap between the X6 and the ML in terms of driving pleasure/fun. The seats in the Benz are better in my opinion!

In terms of looks, its a wash to me depending on what day of the week it is if I like the X5 or ML better, id say 60% of the time I do favor the ML in terms of looks. But the X6 wipes all that away, in person the X6 is such a beautiful and aggressive car it definitly stands way ahead of the ML in that department. With the X6 you will never just be part of the faceless sea of cars, lets put it that way..
      08-30-2008, 11:45 AM   #3
morty
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6 xDrive50i

Well Sire-de-Suzie… you’ve rekindled my conundrum with one simple post! I’m the guy that posted arguments pro & con on the ML. I’ve owned two over the last 8 years… I brought that post forward for you to re-hash. All my points Pro & Con seem to still apply.

In Seattle, I could the ML-550 decked out for probably 64K… while the BMW dealer won’t budge from MSRP, and optioned out the way I want it, the X6 will be 84K… so I’m as vexed as you when I see 20K on the line!

I keep thinking about the features I just can’t get on the ML… the leather dash, active ventilated seats, soft close doors, HUD and free 4-year maintenance. I previously let it slide, thinking YES, those features – and the fact that the X6 styling just does it for me – would be enough…

I’m also even more concerned about resale than ever. And I just don’t know which is worse! BMW themselves raise the most doubt with their published lease residual. That really says a lot to me… But with the ML, there is the fact that it is still an SUV… that may be a stigma that just won’t go away after this year’s gas prices. The X6 is a crossover, and that is the more politically correct car to have now. NOW GRANTED – most of us know there just isn’t much difference in the two – and ML is nearly 500 pounds lighter than the X6… but to the public, it’s still a nasty SUV..!

I have to say, if the Mercedes didn’t come with those damnedable running boards, and DID come with active-ventilated seats, I’d probably have a REAL hard decision to make. And if they had added direct injection to the engine (which would bump the MPG up a bit, along with the HP…), I would probably go with the MB… But for now – all things considered – I’m still on the X6 path…
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 11:56 AM   #4
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

ML and X5.

X6 is a new generation of luxury crossovers where more will come from other manufacturers.

The market for high riding sedans with utility is there and represents a new direction from traditional SUVs/
      08-30-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

here in the UK, the ML's are unreliable crap, looks alone give the X6 my vote, but add the technology and finish + reliablility factors and X6 can't loose.

Mercs have a terrible reputation in the UK for poor build, this will take many years to repair, but there are still many who stick with them and love them.

My feelings are the Mercs are so far behind in the technology stakes "years in fact", that they are not worthy of the prices they charge.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 02:29 PM   #6
Elevated
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06

I would take the X6 hands down over a ML550, but the ML 63 is a completely different story!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 02:48 PM   #7
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
ML and X5.

X6 is a new generation of luxury crossovers where more will come from other manufacturers.

The market for high riding sedans with utility is there and represents a new direction from traditional SUVs/
I agree with chuck92103. You are comparing apples with oranges here. A more fitting comparison would be the X5 to the ML550.

In any case, IMO the front of the new ML looks absolutely horrible. Not to say that the X6 could use a different front either (especially those fog lights...).

Lets put it this way, if I would win both cars in a contest, I would keep the X6 and sell the ML550 and use the money to pay for the gas on the X6
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 04:24 PM   #8
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE90M3 View Post
The ML is a beautiful car and its definitly one of my more favorite benz models and in my mind there is a stiff competition between the ML and the X5. However the X6 still wins hands down over the ML IMO because of

#1, interior quality of the BMW is still leaps and bounds ahead of the benz (although the benz does look nicer in pictures.. in person its a different story IMO).

#2 the BMW gives a much better drive feeling, and I'm assuming (never having driven an X6) it will be even more sporty then an X5-is model which will really put a big gap between the X6 and the ML in terms of driving pleasure/fun. The seats in the Benz are better in my opinion!

In terms of looks, its a wash to me depending on what day of the week it is if I like the X5 or ML better, id say 60% of the time I do favor the ML in terms of looks. But the X6 wipes all that away, in person the X6 is such a beautiful and aggressive car it definitly stands way ahead of the ML in that department. With the X6 you will never just be part of the faceless sea of cars, lets put it that way..
I agree with you,btw we are comparing SUV and SAC and als0 pics of ML AMG aero kit and 21 inch AMG alloys....
Lets wait and see BMW M aero kit and M alloys or just put 21 inch 275 so the whole apirance look diffrent,better....anyway X6 looks much better and fresher in person then ML even AMG.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2008, 05:06 PM   #9
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
I agree with chuck92103. You are comparing apples with oranges here. A more fitting comparison would be the X5 to the ML550.

In any case, IMO the front of the new ML looks absolutely horrible. Not to say that the X6 could use a different front either (especially those fog lights...).

Lets put it this way, if I would win both cars in a contest, I would keep the X6 and sell the ML550 and use the money to pay for the gas on the X6
+1
my thoughts exactly and would do the sell thing also.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 10:46 AM   #10
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

Thanks for all the comments. You guys are the best!

Mark90M3: I really can't agree with you about interior quality. I have been unable to detect any difference in two X6 drives and two ML drives.

morty: Thanks for all your comments and for bumping that other thread. Just FYI: Running boards are not standard on the ML, just the ML63. And you can get active ventilated seats -- the ML550 I drove had them, perforated leather and all. Re 4-year maintenance: realistically that is worth $500 to $1,000; I just factor that into the price. Like you, I would like to be able to get leather dash (not even available on the X6 here in Canada) and HUD.

johnbmw6: The ML series certainly used to have crappy reliability, but according to both Consumers Reports and JDPower they are now ahead of the X5. Nothing on the X6 yet, of course.

Elevated: I agree about the ML63. It is insane. But I'm not sure I could live with one in the long term. Also, it is $$$.

xDrive501: I agree that X6 vs ML550 is slightly apples to oranges (well, more like Fuji apples to Gala apples since the X6 is derived so much from the X5). But I only have room for one plate of fruit, so it is still a valid comparison.

Deda : I was comparing the price of an ML550 with 21-inch wheels and the AMG body kit against a stock X6 50i with 20-inch wheels. Even factoring in lack of 'free' maintenance it is still an $8,000 difference -- which just rose to $11,000 as Mercedes Canada just announced a $3,000 price drop on the '09 ML550 if you pay cash.

Anyway, my heart is still saying "X6" while my brain is saying "Not so fast there, Buster..." I think I'll just chew on this for a week or two and let you know whether emotion or logic wins.

But thanks again for all the comments.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2008, 11:18 AM   #11
Elevated
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06

Have you considered the 21" wheels for the X6? I don't like the 50i 20" wheels at all, but the 21" available from bmw accessories look amazing. Really changes the look of the car to even more sporty.
Appreciate 0