XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-29-2017, 12:38 AM   #1
sterlinggrau530
Private
Rep
Drives: 11' Alpine/Fox E90 M3

Front Driveshaft Recall

Hi guys, so I purchased a 2011 X5 35i xdrive sport package. I got a recall in the mail. Second one, first one was an airbag. Second one is the front driveshaft u joint failure. Now I have not contacted my dealer yet since the remedy is not available yet and it's the weekend. Now, the car has 32k miles and there's no noise of any metal or anything. Since, this is my primary vehicle can I still drive it? Anyone else here that has gone through the same issue? Since this is my only car will I get a free loaner car?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 07:04 AM   #2
Poppyboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 3.5i w/ SA Package

Garage List
1976 Triumph TR6  [10.00]
1993 Bentley Turbo R  [10.00]
2011 X5  [10.00]
Yes, yes and yes.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 07:12 AM   #3
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

You can still drive it. With that mileage I wouldn't expect the driveshaft to be worn to the point I'd be concerned about continuing to drive it. I would just stay on top of your Service Advisor at the dealership as I strongly believe in the "out of sight, out of mind" mantra when it comes to getting your recalls done. If they don't have the part in stock they will order it and as long as it's not on national back order, it should only take a week to get.

As for the loaner, this is completely up to the dealership however I would certainly ask for one given your situation. You should really start by calling up the dealership and just having a conversation with your Service Advisor as each dealership treats loaners differently. Back in CA I always got a loaner but now here in TX I don't unless I bought the vehicle from them.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 11:46 AM   #4
sterlinggrau530
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by socale39 View Post
You can still drive it. With that mileage I wouldn't expect the driveshaft to be worn to the point I'd be concerned about continuing to drive it. I would just stay on top of your Service Advisor at the dealership as I strongly believe in the "out of sight, out of mind" mantra when it comes to getting your recalls done. If they don't have the part in stock they will order it and as long as it's not on national back order, it should only take a week to get.

As for the loaner, this is completely up to the dealership however I would certainly ask for one given your situation. You should really start by calling up the dealership and just having a conversation with your Service Advisor as each dealership treats loaners differently. Back in CA I always got a loaner but now here in TX I don't unless I bought the vehicle from them.
I'll call them Monday and see what they have to say. I just don't want to damage the car by driivng it.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 10:08 AM   #5
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggrau530 View Post
I'll call them Monday and see what they have to say. I just don't want to damage the car by driivng it.
Ha... If No one got hurt id be happy If it broke amd destoyed my transmission!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 02:23 PM   #6
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
Quote:
I know right! Mines getting replaced after 120k miles!

So I couldn't be happier. Showed the dealer where the old driveshaft chewed into my trans and the past owner fixed the driveshaft but left the trans alone. Probably fixed out of warranty.

Well the issue is the housing is compromised so their putting a new one in so I feel like I hit the lottery!

I've heard of a few people with 80k miles + getting new trans and engines because of it hurting both! Man that be a sweet deal.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 08:24 PM   #7
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post

So I couldn't be happier. Showed the dealer where the old driveshaft chewed into my trans and the past owner fixed the driveshaft but left the trans alone. Probably fixed out of warranty.

Well the issue is the housing is compromised so their putting a new one in so I feel like I hit the lottery!

I've heard of a few people with 80k miles + getting new trans and engines because of it hurting both! Man that be a sweet deal.
145k miles for me. New trans would be awesome!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 07:26 PM   #8
sterlinggrau530
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
Driving the car to indiana, car has 33k miles will it make it? 300 mile road trip? Can I just drive the car in rwd mode or no? This sounds stupid.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 07:27 PM   #9
sterlinggrau530
Private
Rep

Quote:

Can i drive the car 300 miles and be solid? It still has 33k miles.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 10:36 PM   #10
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Quote:

Can i drive the car 300 miles and be solid? It still has 33k miles.
Of course, It doesn't happen to everyone. If you feel a vibration or something then pull over, don't worry though as if it brakes anything that gets damaged will be replaced. So you'll be fine either way.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 11:01 PM   #11
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Can I just drive the car in rwd mode or no? This sounds stupid.
No. You will have a drive shaft flopping around
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 07:31 PM   #12
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Spoke to bmw customer relations yesterday .... "no parts available".
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 07:03 PM   #13
sterlinggrau530
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
Spoke to bmw customer relations yesterday .... "no parts available".
Just got available. At 34k miles and still rock solid in my car, haha. Spoke to my BMW Independent and he said at this miles don't even worry. He was nice to put it on a lift.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 10:06 PM   #14
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Just got available. At 34k miles and still rock solid in my car, haha. Spoke to my BMW Independent and he said at this miles don't even worry. He was nice to put it on a lift.

Yes, that appears to be the case now. I'm getting both the Takata airbag and driveshaft recall done on Saturday. Can finally start looking at a Trade in Value and start shopping.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 10:16 PM   #15
sterlinggrau530
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes, that appears to be the case now. I'm getting both the Takata airbag and driveshaft recall done on Saturday. Can finally start looking at a Trade in Value and start shopping.
Mine's going in on the 23rd Friday. How was yours? How long did it take? Mine is scheduled early morning 7:45 AM. I will be waiting at the dealership. BMW claims it'll take them 3 hours.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 06:39 PM   #16
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Mine's going in on the 23rd Friday. How was yours? How long did it take? Mine is scheduled early morning 7:45 AM. I will be waiting at the dealership. BMW claims it'll take them 3 hours.
8AM appt. I was on time. I was out the door by 10:30 including the Air Bag Recall.

Never glanced under the X5 to check what state it was in. My wife didn't like the additional recall on the car but that was about it. No budget for a new car anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 07:51 PM   #17
sterlinggrau530
Private
Rep

Quote:
8AM appt. I was on time. I was out the door by 10:30 including the Air Bag Recall.

Never glanced under the X5 to check what state it was in. My wife didn't like the additional recall on the car but that was about it. No budget for a new car anyway.
I see. Did you ask them how bad it was? Also, what mileage and model is yours?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 07:18 PM   #18
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I see. Did you ask them how bad it was? Also, what mileage and model is yours?
Didn't ask hot bad it was. I don't plan on keeping the X5 past the CPO...

MY 2013 X5 3.5i Sport Activity with 57K miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 02:18 PM   #19
sterlinggrau530
Private
Rep

Quote:
Didn't ask hot bad it was. I don't plan on keeping the X5 past the CPO...

MY 2013 X5 3.5i Sport Activity with 57K miles.
I see. MIne is a 2011 with 34k miles. Still a baby, haha with no warranty
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 11:26 AM   #20
rbyoung
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5, 2003 BMW M3

This is the start of my documentation of my drive shaft failure. If this is posted in the wrong area let me know and I will relocate it. THis is about my 2013 X5. 88000 miles.

Wednesday 8/30 going to work something felt odd, and my low tire indicator went on. I added air to the tire, wrote it off to it finally getting cooler after a hot summer (and this is probably what it was) and proceeded to work. Even though the tires were correct, they felt overinflated.

I was aware of the drive shaft recall, and I had not heard anything. My girlfriend had, from outside the car, but I did not. The parts have been unavailable.

Leaving work, I felt something like I was dragging an empty box underneath the car. I pulled over, did not see any empty box, and did not see anything from the driveshaft area. Either the car turned itself off, or I did out of instinct, but I think I left the car on. The engine was off when I got back in. I checked for warning lights, restarted the car, and got up to speed on a busy highway.

There was what sounded like an explosion, and then continued bangs against the car. The engine started running roughly. I was going about 55 at the time, had slowed down to 35 or so, and was looking for a safe place to pull off. This was a busy road during rush hour, and I had to continue for a while - maybe a mile - before I could safely stop. I coasted into a repair shop parking lot, which looked and said it was beyond their ability. I knew what it was at the point, and had the car towed to Grayson BMW (BMW of Knoxville) the next day.

Oddly, the bolts holding the drive shaft had not sheared. The driveshaft itself broke, and the sound I heard was it hitting the pavement and then smashing in a semicircle onto the underside of the car, taking out pieces as it went, the oil pan among them. It stayed with the car (pieces of the oil pan and heat shield did not).

The dealer here is good, and while I did not buy this car from them, I have purchased many in the past. I called, and the service adviser said they had just gotten word of parts availability, and to tow it in. The diagnostic I paid the first place was mine, and I knew they could not do anything, but since I was camping out in their parking lot and dropping the last few milliliters of oil on their pavement I happily paid them. I also paid for the tow.

Grayson made all the right sounds on the phone, and the SA told me they had a corporate play book for this. First, they replace all the visibly damaged parts, hook engine and transmission back together, and then start evaluating further for engine damage. Transmission damage was unlikely, he said, since there was no visible damage to the box and it was disconnected from the bad things happening to the North. They have ordered parts, I have been promised a full engine diagnostic, and it appears they are operating with full BMWNA co-operation and support. They did say they have seen this before.

They did start the car, without oil, and I am not sure if that is a clue they are anticipating having to replace the engine or not.

I am in a nice new 430c loaner, and the weather is getting nice, so I plan to enjoy the convertible in the time that I have it, which must be measured in weeks, I think.

I will keep the forum posted.

Last edited by rbyoung; 09-01-2017 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: add mileage
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 12:05 PM   #21
capitalx
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 E70

Sorry about double post- belongs here

2011 X5 with 55k miles. I've been noticing what appears to be misfire/hesitation upon acceleration. Getting worse over time and more noticeable when vehicle cold. (250 miles since felt and now) Felt exactly what you would expect with bad coil pack or plug. (no codes) Replaced them all and no change. I was convinced it was the Valvetronic motor or system causing misfire and prepared to spend 1,100 at indi BMW shop. Only noticed symptom when the x5 was warm. They could not find it (but testing while cold) After warm-up they felt the mis. I get a call the next day to say it was the driveshaft and was an outstanding recall and i owed them 415 for diagnosis. I didn't believe them and thought they couldn't find issue and was sending to dealership, using driveshaft recall as excuse. Same day, Friday I drove to the shop had them remove the front drive shaft again, so i could test run before i paid. Ran like a dream, absolutely no or hesitation. Ran it without front shaft over the weekend was perfect. Appt at BMW was Monday and picked up today. The x5 seems to shutter just as it did when i first noticed the issue. 250 miles ago. I wish i took photo of old shaft, it looked brand new. WHAT IS GOING ON?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 12:18 PM   #22
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalx View Post
Sorry about double post- belongs here

2011 X5 with 55k miles. I've been noticing what appears to be misfire/hesitation upon acceleration. Getting worse over time and more noticeable when vehicle cold. (250 miles since felt and now) Felt exactly what you would expect with bad coil pack or plug. (no codes) Replaced them all and no change. I was convinced it was the Valvetronic motor or system causing misfire and prepared to spend 1,100 at indi BMW shop. Only noticed symptom when the x5 was warm. They could not find it (but testing while cold) After warm-up they felt the mis. I get a call the next day to say it was the driveshaft and was an outstanding recall and i owed them 415 for diagnosis. I didn't believe them and thought they couldn't find issue and was sending to dealership, using driveshaft recall as excuse. Same day, Friday I drove to the shop had them remove the front drive shaft again, so i could test run before i paid. Ran like a dream, absolutely no or hesitation. Ran it without front shaft over the weekend was perfect. Appt at BMW was Monday and picked up today. The x5 seems to shutter just as it did when i first noticed the issue. 250 miles ago. I wish i took photo of old shaft, it looked brand new. WHAT IS GOING ON?
Hmm. Removing the front driveshaft disconnects it from the Transfer Case.

You can further diagnosis by unplugging the transfer case computer module. If it drives great then you have a TC problem.
Appreciate 0