XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

X5M CPO value?

Hi All,

I wanted to get an idea from current 2011/2012 X5M owners what the residual values are of their cars and what the dealership should be asking for them. I have found a high mileage 2012 X5M which seems interesting and figure it should be about ~50% of MSRP even tho it's a 2012 model since its really high miles.

Also wanted to get an idea of reliability on these trucks? How is it for winter duty? Any specific features I really should be looking for as "must haves"/"Deal breakers"? I'm currently running around in a '08 FBO 335xi and love it. I'm looking at the X5M CPO as a compliment to the 335xi as a winter duty SUV. I also plan to do the basic performance mods so please do let me know what the common upgrade path/order is (The only ones I've heard of are Velos and BMS JB4 beta)?

Thank you in advance for guiding me and pointing me in the right direction for choosing my CPO truck

- Faz
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

Not sure about value in your area, but the performance upgrades are typically exhaust, catless down pipes and a tune.
      09-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35 View Post
Not sure about value in your area, but the performance upgrades are typically exhaust, catless down pipes and a tune.
I was thinking along the lines of a 45,000 mile X5M being about 50% of the MSRP value since it has only 5,000 left on the warranty and then CPO up to 100k miles? If the MSRP on these X5M's seem to be about $97k then 50% would bring it to $48,500 and CPO as a fair price at a dealership? With the new X5M's on the way... the current X5M is going to start looking dated.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Can't add much input as far as buying a CPO truck, just make sure you get a warranty or can afford to fix whatever you break if something goes wrong. These trucks are beast in the snow as long as you have the right tires. With a tune, exhaust, and downpipes expect it to be as fast or faster than your 335 (I see you have FBO, but I don't know the specifics). All in all, its a great truck but if you're just looking for a winter SUV this is not the ride for you... does a lot more than plow through snow

2018 M6 Gran Coupe Competition- Singapore Grey/Aragon Brown
DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmomo313 View Post
Can't add much input as far as buying a CPO truck, just make sure you get a warranty or can afford to fix whatever you break if something goes wrong. These trucks are beast in the snow as long as you have the right tires. With a tune, exhaust, and downpipes expect it to be as fast or faster than your 335 (I see you have FBO, but I don't know the specifics). All in all, its a great truck but if you're just looking for a winter SUV this is not the ride for you... does a lot more than plow through snow
More??? How so?? I just want a fun SUV/truck which would be fun, can haul the family comfortably (especially my parents in the back seats), mostly used for winter duty, and maybe one day haul a baby or two over the next 4 or 5 years period? The 3er is good for my wife to daily drive to work on her own... but I get the feeling once she drives the X5M... she will want to use it everyday instead.

2008 335xi e90 sedan, JB5 G5 + DCI + USB cable routed to glove box, Full ER FMIC kit anodized with CF shroud, LCI ER Charge Pipe anodized with Tial Q BOV VTA, BMS OCC, AR catless DP w/DP fix @ 5 O'Clock. I haven't switched over to ISO or back end flashed yet, I'm also not running any e85 yet either. The car is a 6AT with Alpina B3 flash. I'm looking to do the suspension (KW v1's or V3's) and wheels (19" for non-winter and 18" style 162's for winter) next on the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
More??? How so?? I just want a fun SUV/truck which would be fun, can haul the family comfortably (especially my parents in the back seats), mostly used for winter duty, and maybe one day haul a baby or two over the next 4 or 5 years period? The 3er is good for my wife to daily drive to work on her own... but I get the feeling once she drives the X5M... she will want to use it everyday instead.

2008 335xi e90 sedan, JB5 G5 + DCI + USB cable routed to glove box, Full ER FMIC kit anodized with CF shroud, LCI ER Charge Pipe anodized with Tial Q BOV VTA, BMS OCC, AR catless DP w/DP fix @ 5 O'Clock. I haven't switched over to ISO or back end flashed yet, I'm also not running any e85 yet either. The car is a 6AT with Alpina B3 flash. I'm looking to do the suspension (KW v1's or V3's) and wheels (19" for non-winter and 18" style 162's for winter) next on the car.

Ah ok, needed a little more info on what you wanted to use it for.. In that case it'll be perfect for you. The x5 is a really safe truck to begin with so it'll be good to haul the kids in. But what I meant by more was that once you add an ecu tune it will go around a track faster than your 335 (w/o suspension mods) will. Stock it can go around VIR faster than an audi rs4 which is mind boggling. I just wasn't sure if you would really need all the added performance of the M if your using it for kids and snow driving, but hey it is a bad ass truck and I would definitely recommend it to you esp considering the mods you have on your 3! best of luck, hope it works out

DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah ok, needed a little more info on what you wanted to use it for.. In that case it'll be perfect for you. The x5 is a really safe truck to begin with so it'll be good to haul the kids in. But what I meant by more was that once you add an ecu tune it will go around a track faster than your 335 (w/o suspension mods) will. Stock it can go around VIR faster than an audi rs4 which is mind boggling. I just wasn't sure if you would really need all the added performance of the M if your using it for kids and snow driving, but hey it is a bad ass truck and I would definitely recommend it to you esp considering the mods you have on your 3! best of luck, hope it works out
thank you sir Any advice for me on which features to keep an eye out for when getting a CPO X5M (like must haves vs nice to haves)? What are things that great to have but would be a PITA to retrofit but highly desirable? I heard they have a spare tire kit that you can get for the x5m?? Any personal quirks or keep an eye out for this rattle sound type thing??

For example, no one explained to me that I should look for an oil cooler on the 335 or how to check to see if it had one (very simple to do). Also great feature to have is the comfort access on the 3er. The run flats suck a$$ on the 3er... i need to ditch them.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
mswaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M

I would think you would be hard pressed to find a 2012 for under $50k. Regardless of miles my 2010 had numerous problems but my 2013 has been rock solid with no problems through 14k miles. HUD and premium sound are a must. Good luck in finding a cpo I was told when i sold my 2010 that cpo on these were north of $3500 plus it's rare to find any m with cpo. Extended warranty though is just under $4 k. To 100k miles. Good luck they are great trucks
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 03:07 AM   #9
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswaz View Post
I would think you would be hard pressed to find a 2012 for under $50k. Regardless of miles my 2010 had numerous problems but my 2013 has been rock solid with no problems through 14k miles. HUD and premium sound are a must. Good luck in finding a cpo I was told when i sold my 2010 that cpo on these were north of $3500 plus it's rare to find any m with cpo. Extended warranty though is just under $4 k. To 100k miles. Good luck they are great trucks
Since the new X5M is near... Lots of ppl are stepping out of the 2011's and 2012's... I've even seen some 2013's. CPO is just an insurance which can be added on... I wouldn't mind getting the 7 yr wrap if it has more gadgets that tend to break. But if i mod... Its hard to justify the benefit of a warranty.

Most issues have simple diy fixes, just need someone to show u once and then its easy.

Actually i'm surprised it took bmw na so long to make the 7 yr wrap insurance product. Considering that leases are 3 years and cpo's are 3 years on top of a lease... Not sure why BMW NA doesn't create a sub market of post cpo 8 year/120k mile warranty and service plan. I can totally see people hanging on to cars longer and feel happier with longer warranty/service backed by a dealership. They can make money at the dealership sales lots, F&I, and more people would be able to afford/own BMWs over other brands.

Heck, they should even create an aggressive maintenance service plan for the owners who feel their "baby" just deserves to be pampered a little more. Basically charge more $$$ and do all the services 50% sooner. I would bet that a lot of folks would buy into those "plans" which are huge money makers and it gets rolled up into financing as well. Cha ching!!!! I hope someone at BMW Finance is reading this

Last edited by fazman; 09-02-2013 at 03:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 03:57 AM   #10
baby huey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

2013 X5M

A 2013 X5M just showed up on the MA market.
15k miles.
Not sure what you mean by "new X5M just around the corner." My understanding is, there will be no 2014 X5M.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby huey View Post
A 2013 X5M just showed up on the MA market.
15k miles.
Not sure what you mean by "new X5M just around the corner." My understanding is, there will be no 2014 X5M.
Meaning at this time next year we should see on dealer lots the "new body style" X5M.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #12
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
thank you sir Any advice for me on which features to keep an eye out for when getting a CPO X5M (like must haves vs nice to haves)? What are things that great to have but would be a PITA to retrofit but highly desirable? I heard they have a spare tire kit that you can get for the x5m?? Any personal quirks or keep an eye out for this rattle sound type thing??

For example, no one explained to me that I should look for an oil cooler on the 335 or how to check to see if it had one (very simple to do). Also great feature to have is the comfort access on the 3er. The run flats suck a$$ on the 3er... i need to ditch them.
no problem, I have every option on mine except the rear seat tv. I'd honestly recommend finding one that is loaded w/ the extended leather. It'll be faster to tell you what option you can do without: side view cameras (I never use them but they are cool),and rear seat tv(it is a crappy unit and I'm surprised they still sell it). The rest of the options/packages available are must haves IMO, just make sure you get the extended leather, it makes a huge difference in how nice the cabin feels. My last e70 didn't have it and it felt a lot cheaper because of that.

DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #13
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Yeah extended leather is a must, otherwise the interior looks cheap, not a 90k car. Even then the interior looks so so.

Side camera is useful here in Asia, lots of tight spaces, but in the US you could do without.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #14
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Agree on extended leather and HUD.....must haves. Most of the ones will be pretty loaded with the usual BMW packages but extended leather is rare - especially if your interior is not in black the extended two tone leather really pops, I have Sakhir orange and black .... Best feature of the truck, besides the aggressive front looks.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #15
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
no problem, I have every option on mine except the rear seat tv. I'd honestly recommend finding one that is loaded w/ the extended leather. It'll be faster to tell you what option you can do without: side view cameras (I never use them but they are cool),and rear seat tv(it is a crappy unit and I'm surprised they still sell it). The rest of the options/packages available are must haves IMO, just make sure you get the extended leather, it makes a huge difference in how nice the cabin feels. My last e70 didn't have it and it felt a lot cheaper because of that.
Thank you to everyone who responded, so now i have an idea of what equipment to hold out for. Now on to pricing.... Should i be looking at about 59% of MSRP for a 30k mile cpo ride?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #16
MonacoJoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M - Carbon Blk

i'd expect most to come in pretty loaded. i'd say you're looking at around low 50's without the CPO and high 50's for CPO and full options. I bought an '11. Love the truck but i would never get it without CPO...

good luck
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #17
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoJoe View Post
i'd expect most to come in pretty loaded. i'd say you're looking at around low 50's without the CPO and high 50's for CPO and full options. I bought an '11. Love the truck but i would never get it without CPO...

good luck
Nice, would you mind PM'ing me about the details of your sale (specs/msrp/cpo purchase price/etc...) It would give me a better idea of what I should aim for. I'm trying to get an idea of x% of MSRP to target based on miles on the truck.

I would also be interested if someone who has an X5M could do the following at your local dealership (Found this in another thread):

"Go to the dealer and ask for a service history and list of options on your car. They'll run you a 4 or 5 page document called a Warranty Vehicle Inquiry which will include all of the extended mix and warranty options."

From the MSRP listing/pricing of all the warranty combinations available for your car, it can help me to figure out the cost of the warranty (Since the Gold 6yr/100k is identical to the CPO plan). But knowing all the pricing plans including the 7 year wrap would be nice to arm myself with before I go bargain for a truck

Last edited by fazman; 09-10-2013 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0