XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-21-2017, 11:07 AM   #1
My1stBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 X5xdrive35i

BMW X5 2013 xDrive 35i Sway bar Mount damage ?

I have close to 50K miles on this and recently I took my BMW to free complimentary clinic @ BMW authorized service center (BMW showroom) and the technician told us that we have damaged right side sway bar mount. Here is the exact wording,

REAR SUB FRAME (1) REAR MUFFLER (1) CLAMP (1) RIGHT REAR AXLE (1) FOUND SUB-FRAME WHERE RIGHT SIDE SWAY BAR MOUNT DAMAGED. RECOMMEND REPLACING SUB-FRAME. (see attached)

The technician told us that the repair charges would be $6500 but will be covered by insurance. He also said that the insurance premium would not increase as this is not an accident.

My question is whether there is a way I can check this myself (post some pictures here) for advise /guidance / suggestions or should blindly believe what they are saying since the shop is a BMW authorized and Insurance company will also be involved and they would check everything.

My insurance detectable is $500.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 04:17 PM   #2
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Wtf? Can you snap some photos? Hard to imagine what happened unless you go off reading a lot and hit a boulder with the undercarriage. The sway bar mounts to a protruding part of the subframe and I guess if that was hit hard enough then you may need to replace the subframe. But that all seems excessive. If it has been in a side rear impact before then this could have been a result that was never addressed...like insurance fixed all the body damage but didn’t fix the subframe; this is most likely since a half shaft (axle) is also damaged (power slide into a curb maybe?) If you’re not too concerned about having the damage on your record then all that work for $500 is a steal. Dealer makes out, you make out, insurance looses
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 08:17 PM   #3
My1stBMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
Wtf? Can you snap some photos? Hard to imagine what happened unless you go off reading a lot and hit a boulder with the undercarriage. The sway bar mounts to a protruding part of the subframe and I guess if that was hit hard enough then you may need to replace the subframe. But that all seems excessive. If it has been in a side rear impact before then this could have been a result that was never addressed...like insurance fixed all the body damage but didn’t fix the subframe; this is most likely since a half shaft (axle) is also damaged (power slide into a curb maybe?) If you’re not too concerned about having the damage on your record then all that work for $500 is a steal. Dealer makes out, you make out, insurance looses
The BMW service guy had sent attached picture.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 10:33 PM   #4
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by My1stBMW View Post
Quote:
The BMW service guy had sent attached picture.
Lol they wanted to replace that for a scratch! Over 6k !!!!! Man they have their heads somewhere !

I'd be like no way, Unless the scratch is worse than the pic shows.....

I'd say don't even worry about it!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 10:46 PM   #5
Ryan5034
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
Unless there is some other damage not shown in the pic this is nothing.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 02:36 AM   #6
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

There has to be more...that’s not even the sway bar at all...maybe that’s the impact and the rest bent? Straight fraud by the dealer if that’s all there is.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 07:58 AM   #7
My1stBMW
Rep

Quote:
There has to be more...that’s not even the sway bar at all...maybe that’s the impact and the rest bent? Straight fraud by the dealer if that’s all there is.
I might go for a 2nd opinion today
Appreciate 0