XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-19-2011, 01:57 AM   #1
donho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63s AMG

Just came back to the BMW family!

I swore off BMWs after the issues I had with my M3.

I was about to buy a ML63 or a Cayenne Turbo, but I kept seeing vids of road tests and reviews on the X5 and X6 M models. I tried to hold out, but today I picked one up. I didnt drive it much, but what I did drive, put a big smile on my face.

I was a member of other 3 series sites, but none of them had any X5 info.
I am happy to find your site and have been reading as I go along.

Three questions:

1. What size winter wheel/tire package do I buy? My buddy has a set of winter wheels and tires that he used for his last X5 4.8
They are only 18s and are the proper height for the 4.8
But the rotors on my truck are HUGE and I do not think an 18 will fit.
Tire Rack did not have a package either???

2. How does this Launch Control work. I read it in the manual and understand it. The dealer had not a clue. My main concern is am I doing it correctly? It seems alot of buttons seem to do the same thing. Can you just hold the MTM button until the DSC light up that it is OFF? Or does hitting the "M" on the steering wheel automatically shut the DSC off? If I use the knob and select M drive, and select DSC off, is that the same as holding the MTM button for a few seconds??
Does the EDC have to be in SPORT mode?
Sorry to make this question(s) a mess, but it is hard to type what I am trying to figure out. It just seems alot of the functions are or maybe are not doing the same thing? I did get it to work, but I just want to make sure it is set up at the optimal settings. Just incase a someone gets frisky at a stoplight.LOL

3. the ride home from the dealer the HU Display only showed a number for the MPH. and of course the seatbelt warning until I clicked in.
But after I hit the "M" on the steering wheel, it is now permanently in the tach/gear/MPH mode? Can I switch this back to just the MPH?

I appreciate all the help and thanks for the great site.
2014 Mercedes E63s AMG
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

Congratulations on your purchase. I am looking to get into an X5M myself.

Btw,

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
E53is
Rep
Drives: 11'X5M.03'X5 4.6is,05'viper

18 inch rims wont fit, theres a specific set for M trucks. i have a winter set for my 4.6is and they wouldnt fit on the M

at a light or just stopped, have the M mode on, put the car in sports mode & then put it in first. apply 60% throttle with your foot firmly on the break. when you see the checker flag light up youre good to go! punch it and hold on. try not to smile too much too, it's awesome!
you change in your settings what the M button does ( dsc on,off, or m control ect. ) mine turns on power mode and dsc off )

you can change the mph or w-e in the hud settings section. M mode has its own setting...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
E53is
Rep
Drives: 11'X5M.03'X5 4.6is,05'viper

from bmw (LC)

A further option in the M Manual mode is to activate the Launch Control feature, which enables the driver to accelerate from a standstill with maximum performance. To activate Launch Control, the driver stops the vehicle, moves the gear selector into the M/S position and activates the Sports Power mode, as well as the M Dynamic mode, or respectively, the DSC-Off mode. Then, with the transmission in stage M1, the driver presses down the brake pedal and moves the accelerator to at least 60% throttle, setting Launch Control to standby. Standby status is confirmed by “starter’s flag” symbol in the instrument cluster. As soon as the driver releases the brake pedal, the vehicle will accelerate with full power in “genuine racing style.” In the process, the M Sports Automatic transmission automatically upshifts at the ideal points, with the fastest possible shifts and optimum wheelspin control. The driver may terminate the Launch Control process at any time by reducing the throttle position.

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
treky11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 panamera

i havent used launch control yet. i think the manual says not for the first 2000 miles. they can tell in the computer supposedly so i have resisted the temptation as to avoid any potential warranty issues.

as for winter tires, bmw sells a winter tire package for the x5m that comes with 19s that fit. i will probably buy a set of inexpensive replica 20s and put a set of winter tires on them.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 11:53 PM   #6
donho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63s AMG

Thanks for all the input.
As far as break in time? Mine was a 4000 miles one owner vehicle, so it was all ready for launch!!!LOL

I kind of figured out the settings tonight.
before, I was holding the button on the lower dash for a few seconds, the MTM lights up, then goes out when the DSC OFF light appears. But tonight, I went into settings, and into the M menu, I just made suspenison to Sport, set the DSC to off and now when I hit the "M" button on the steering wheel, the DSC OFF lights up.

Plus i think you have to not only put it in S mode, but you have to click the left paddle to put it into manual 1. I basically power brake it, until the flag waves and let the brake go and it shifts at redline on every shit until I release WOT
I did notice it still pulls against the brake. I was thinking it was similar to a race car's transbrake. But it still works pretty good.

The winter wheel thing is a big issue for me, because this is my primary winter ride
I thought about using the factory 20's for winter wheels and buying a set of 21s for daily use, but the lack of profile scares me. last year we had the worst winter in 10 years and it is not only snow and ice, but the huge potholes and large chunks of snow from plows that worries me. I would feel safer with a 19 for winter if they would clear. Has anyone driven through a heavy winter with snow tires on the 20s??? How was it?

and the only setting I see in the HU Settings is height and brightness???
amd when i go into M mode and change the HU to unchanged it still displays the rainbow/mph/gear
Its weird because my entire ride home it was JUST an orange MPH, which was kind of nice. Until I hit the M for the first time.
The Rainbow is just too distracting for daily driving

and sorry about the lousy pic. I just took it really fast with my cell. I will post better pics later
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #7
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Tires

Continental makes the best tire for your money and are rated high by tire rack for the x5. If you dont care about the run flat option and have the spare tire option like most x5 do then you should be able to get some for about 800 to 900 pending on if you have 18 or 19" rims. Michelins would be the next best tire.
Appreciate 0