XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #1
Me2
Private
Rep
Drives: m2

x5m retrofit x5

Wondering if the 2011+ LCI x5m front and rear bumpers fit onto the 2011+ LCI x5 35i sport activity?

Also, will a stock x5m exhaust fit onto non-M x5??
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
Me2
Private
Rep

Anyone knows?????
Any modding pros in here?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
TahoeM3
Major
Rep
Drives: F-type R, GTR, X5 50i

The X5M shares the front end with the X6, not the X5. It might fit, but it might require some modification. But you'd end up with a fake M, so I'm not sure what the point is. I'd say go with the M-sport retrofit instead which is known to fit and actually comes on the 35i.

I would expect that the X5M exhaust would not fit, considering that the M has a V8 TT and the 35i has an inline 6 single turbo. Even if you were able to bolt it on, the acoustics would probably not be right for that engine. Why not go with an exhaust made for your engine? If it's the quad tips you want, there are options in the aftermarket.
Gone but not forgotten: '12 X5M, '07 AM SuperVantage, '05 Boxster S, '01 BMW M3,...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
Me2
Private
Rep

Thanks for the reply tahoe....very reasonable response. I was looking at vorsteiner products, so was wondering about the x5m front/rear bumpers retrofitting onto non-x5m. I prob just go with the x5 35 with m-sport package.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeM3 View Post
The X5M shares the front end with the X6, not the X5. It might fit, but it might require some modification. But you'd end up with a fake M, so I'm not sure what the point is. I'd say go with the M-sport retrofit instead which is known to fit and actually comes on the 35i.

I would expect that the X5M exhaust would not fit, considering that the M has a V8 TT and the 35i has an inline 6 single turbo. Even if you were able to bolt it on, the acoustics would probably not be right for that engine. Why not go with an exhaust made for your engine? If it's the quad tips you want, there are options in the aftermarket.
It'll fit, and it has already been done on multiple occasions. The LCI X5's bumpers/fenders are different than the pre-LCI. As for the "fake M" comment, that's nonsense. The M-Sport X5's have ///M badges everywhere, so what difference does another AESTHETIC piece really make?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

One piece the X5M bumper is found only on the X5M. Thats the difference. Any fool knows that the ///M on the Msport is only cosmetic, its doesn't have an ///M motor etc.

Put an X5M bumper on, and thats completely different, fake X5M
      06-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
One piece the X5M bumper is found only on the X5M. Thats the difference. Any fool knows that the ///M on the Msport is only cosmetic, its doesn't have an ///M motor etc.

Put an X5M bumper on, and thats completely different, fake X5M

Who cares???? Until somebody puts an X5M BADGE ON A NON-X5M AND TRIES TO PASS IT OFF AS AN X5M INSTEAD OF A 5.0 OR A 35i, it's a non-issue (...and really it's only an issue to the CASUAL OBSERVER who has a problem with it; the owner of the vehicle shouldn't really care what anybody else thinks). Cosmetics are just that, cosmetics.

..and for arguments sake, an M135i doesn't have an M motor either, but it sure comes with an ///M badge on the back.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 07-06-2013 at 11:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #8
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Who cares???? Until somebody puts and X5M BADGE ON A NON-X5M AND TRIES TO PASS IT OFF AS AN X5M INSTEAD OF A 5.0 OR A 35i, it's a non-issue (...and really it's only an issue to the CASUAL OBSERVER who has a problem with it; the owner of the vehicle shouldn't really care what anybody else thinks). Cosmetics are just that, cosmetics.

..and for arguments sake, an M135i doesn't have an M motor either, but it sure comes with an ///M badge on the back.
It might not be an issue to the OP, but anyone who knows what a real X5M is will be snickering. Why do manufactures not have all X5s look the same if the differentiation doesn't matter? BMW doesn't say that the M135 is an M car, it simply has some M parts.

If you see an X5 with an X5M bumper, the assumption is that it must be an X5M with an M motor, M brakes and the whole rest of other parts. Its not just an issue of cosmetics.

To use an analogy you will understand, lets stick a taxi sign on the top of your car and see what happens, or how about putting on police signs. After all, those are parts that are only found on a Taxi, or a police car, similar to how an X5M bumper is only found on an X5M

You claim that its only an issue when someone puts on the X5M badge on a non X5M, putting on the front bumper is the exact same thing. It would be obvious to anyone looking at a debadged X5M that its still an X5M. Why, because of the front and rear bumpers, the brakes the quad exhausts etc

If you don't think that there is a certain implied message with signage or body parts, then marketing is lost on you. Sure the OP shouldn't care what other people think, but what other people will think is that the OP is poser in a vehicle that looks like the genuine thing, but isn't. If he is cool with that, then by all means, please proceed.

Last edited by blue dragon; 06-28-2013 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
It might not be an issue to the OP, but anyone who knows what a real X5M is will be snickering. Why do manufactures not have all X5s look the same if the differentiation doesn't matter? BMW doesn't say that the M135 is an M car, it simply has some M parts.

If you see an X5 with an X5M bumper, the assumption is that it must be an X5M with an M motor, M brakes and the whole rest of other parts. Its not just an issue of cosmetics.

To use an analogy you will understand, lets stick a taxi sign on the top of your car and see what happens, or how about putting on police signs. After all, those are parts that are only found on a Taxi, or a police car, similar to how an X5M bumper is only found on an X5M

You claim that its only an issue when someone puts on the X5M badge on a non X5M, putting on the front bumper is the exact same thing. It would be obvious to anyone looking at a debadged X5M that its still an X5M. Why, because of the front and rear bumpers, the brakes the quad exhausts etc

If you don't think that there is a certain implied message with signage or body parts, then marketing is lost on you. Sure the OP shouldn't care what other people think, but what other people will think is that the OP is poser in a vehicle that looks like the genuine thing, but isn't. If he is cool with that, then by all means, please proceed.
Anybody who knows what an X5M is will know that it's not an X5M, and most will not care. If I see a non-M X5 with a bumper (..or a non-M 3-series with an M3 bumper), I'm going to think, "Cool! He added the bumper. It looks nice!" It only takes a glance at the tail of the truck, a glance at the brakes, or momentary attention paid to THE SOUND to know whether or not it's a true ///M.

Let's address your police or taxi example (..just because I'm bored AND because I'm a cop). I often see old patrol cars that departments have sold/auctioned off to the public with the bumper bar and side view mirror spot lights still in place (..sometimes the bumper bar is removed, but I digress). Do you think it ever crosses my mind that such a vehicle is a police car? Not at all. Your example is flawed because you're confusing SIGNS (..or in the case of M cars, BADGES) with AESTHETICS. If somebody put "Police" on a vehicle that isn't a police patrol unit, THAT is another story altogether (..let's ignore the fact that old units sold to the public often have the "Police Interceptor" badge still intact despite the vehicle not being used in active service any longer).

As far as the poser suggestion, the only people who spend their time worrying about it are those with far too much time on their hands. Surely you have something else more pressing to concern yourself with.

And since we're on the subject, what would YOU have us X5 owners do? They don't make ANY aero pieces for a non-M X5 (..and the ONE aero lip kit they do make is for a non-M Sport X5, so that isn't an option), so if an X5 owner wants to do any aesthetic mods, their ONLY options are:
  • X5M bumper retrofit (..which adds some aggressiveness, and provides options for Vorsteiner and G-Power aesthetic mods)
  • Custom, one-off pieces (...really expensive!)

So rather than lambast somebody for considering the X5M retrofit, take a moment to be objective and consider WHY somebody has done (..or is considering doing) the mod. I come from the M3 community - like many X5 owners - where mod options are plenty, and the community is active. The X5 community? Ehhhh, not so much.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 06-28-2013 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Anybody who knows what an X5M is will know that it's not an X5M, and most will not care. If I see a non-M X5 with a bumper (..or a non-M 3-series with an M3 bumper), I'm going to think, "Cool! He added the bumper. It looks nice!" It only takes a glance at the tail of the truck, a glance at the brakes, or momentary attention paid to THE SOUND to know whether or not it's a true ///M.
And that is the point, from far, it could easily be mistake for an X5M, but up close, the trickery becomes blatantly obvious, so why bother?
Quote:
Let's address your police or taxi example (..just because I'm bored AND because I'm a cop). I often see old patrol cars that departments have sold/auctioned off to the public with the bumper bar and side view mirror spot lights still in place (..sometimes the bumper bar is removed, but I digress). Do you think it ever crosses my mind that such a vehicle is a police car? Not at all. Your example is flawed because you're confusing SIGNS (..or in the case of M cars, BADGES) with AESTHETICS.
I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this, a part that is unique to the X5 M such as the bumperis not aesthetics, its an intrinsic part of identifying such a vehicle. If it wasn't BMW would have not made the effort to differentiate it, why not just slap an X5M badge on the rear and have that be the only difference.?

Have you thought that the reason security companies paint their cars and install lights to make their cars resemble police cars is because that is one of the ways of identifying such a vehicle? I still get confused when I see an ex police car as a taxi, the stance, hubcaps, black grills etc are all indications of it being a police vehicle
Quote:

If somebody put "Police" on a vehicle that isn't a police patrol unit, THAT is another story altogether (..let's ignore the fact that old units sold to the public often have the "Police Interceptor" badge still intact despite the vehicle not being used in active service any longer).

As far as the poser suggestion, the only people who spend their time worrying about it are those with far too much time on their hands. Surely you have something else more pressing to concern yourself with.
Maybe I have too much time on my hands, I could say the same about you constantly replying to this thread.
Quote:
And since we're on the subject, what would YOU have us X5 owners do? They don't make ANY aero pieces for a non-M X5 (..and the ONE aero lip kit they do make is for a non-M Sport X5, so that isn't an option), so if an X5 owner wants to do any aesthetic mods, their ONLY options are:
  • X5M bumper retrofit (..which adds some aggressiveness, and provides options for Vorsteiner and G-Power aesthetic mods)
  • Custom, one-off pieces (...really expensive!)
Come on, there is Hamman, G-power, Lumma, BMW Msport, and the BMw aero kit as well as a bunch of others, when did cost come into this? If you want to modify, there are options.
Quote:
So rather than lambast somebody for considering the X5M retrofit, take a moment to be objective and consider WHY somebody has done (..or is considering doing) the mod. I come from the M3 community - like many X5 owners - where mod options are plenty, and the community is active. The X5 community? Ehhhh, not so much.
The majority of the time, its simply to make your vehicle look like an M model when its not. I came from the m3 community too, the majority of the time you saw things like this were not on m3forum, but on e46fantatics. (I never got into the E9X M forums). Not sure if you go that far back, but there was a huge difference in culture of the two forums.

The answer to all of this is simple, if you want X5M body parts, buy an X5M.
      06-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Come on, there is Hamman, G-power, Lumma, BMW Msport, and the BMw aero kit as well as a bunch of others, when did cost come into this? If you want to modify, there are options.

The majority of the time, its simply to make your vehicle look like an M model when its not. I came from the m3 community too, the majority of the time you saw things like this were not on m3forum, but on e46fantatics. (I never got into the E9X M forums). Not sure if you go that far back, but there was a huge difference in culture of the two forums.

The answer to all of this is simple, if you want X5M body parts, buy an X5M.
We will have to agree to disagree.

And you are WRONG! There are NO aero options produced by any of those companies that will work with an OEM M-Sport bumper to my knowledge (..and I'm not a fan of the typical gaudy work produced by Hamann or G Power for their full front bumpers). I've spent a lot of time looking, and have been to all of So.Cal's most popular tuner shops as I was a frequent customer when I owned the M3's. If there was something to be had, I'd have it! The BMW Aero kit is for NON-M Sport trucks like yours (..and it's an unattractive kit IMHO anyway). Trust me on this! What's worse is that the X6 got an OEM aggressive bumper and splitter option (...see pics below; similar to an X6M bumper, but there are some differences), but the X5 wasn't given the same option. I feel like BMW dropped the ball because it's a good looking kit.

As for "going way back"....yes, I've been on Fanatics since the dawn of that forum. I'm a mod on that forum as well.

...and I didn't want an X5M, otherwise I would have purchased one. I really could do without the X5M bumper, BUT when there are no other aesthetic options for an X5 from any of the major players that fit my tastes and no options that work with the OEM M-Sport front bumper, I have to do what I have to do. Call me a poser driving a fake X5M all you want. I am not trying to pass it off as such. So again, we'll agree to disagree.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 06-28-2013 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #12
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Ah! That explains why you jumped to defend swapping the X5M bumper, because you have one.

Agree to disagree it is then (just for the record, I still think you are a poser for doing it) As for my truck it is what it is, 4 years old with 70k km. Its not trying to be anything else but a 35D, commuter and boat hauler. I didn't want the Msport kit, too many chips on the front of the wheel arches

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&postcount=109
      06-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Ah! That explains why you jumped to defend swapping the X5M bumper, because you have one.

Agree to disagree it is then (just for the record, I still think you are a poser for doing it) As for my truck it is what it is, 4 years old with 70k km. Its not trying to be anything else but a 35D, commuter and boat hauler. I didn't want the Msport kit, too many chips on the front of the wheel arches

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&postcount=109
I don't have it installed.....yet! I'll put my car in the shop in the next couple of weeks to have it retrofitted and painted. I'll be one good looking poser! Hehe!

I don't know how those guys experienced so many chipping issues. My wide M3's never had an issue with chipped fenders and I don't foresee my X5 having that issue either. Maybe they follow too closely or something.

P.S. Nice boat! That makes me question my choice in "toys". The track bike will just have to do for now.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #14
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

^^ Don't get me wrong, the X5M front bumper looks fantastic. I know a couple times an X5M has come up behind me fast and I just need to get out of its way because it just looks so agressive.

Post up the pictures when you are done, especially if you do some Vorsteiner goodies
      06-28-2013, 09:13 PM   #15
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon
^^ Don't get me wrong, the X5M front bumper looks fantastic. I know a couple times an X5M has come up behind me fast and I just need to get out of its way because it just looks so agressive.

Post up the pictures when you are done, especially if you do some Vorsteiner goodies
Will do man! Photos coming soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #16
Endless619
DHS
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Who cares???? Until somebody puts and X5M BADGE ON A NON-X5M AND TRIES TO PASS IT OFF AS AN X5M INSTEAD OF A 5.0 OR A 35i, it's a non-issue (...and really it's only an issue to the CASUAL OBSERVER who has a problem with it; the owner of the vehicle shouldn't really care what anybody else thinks). Cosmetics are just that, cosmetics.

Agreed. ANYONE, I repeat anyone can put M bumpers on a non-M SUV. Makes no difference regardless of what some of these posters think. It's not being fake at all. Sorry some cats believe or think this. It's a style or look the poster wants.

Also the OP isn't putting on a M badge so who gives a shit?

I have been on all those other forums before most of you as well and still am. I own M cars and have had several so I agree with the non-M3 crowd posing but for the X5 most of us are adults and most in my community that own X5s are the over 50 crowd. They don't give a shit about this kind of stuff. A kid in his 20s or 30s, yes. Thats reality.

Last edited by Endless619; 07-04-2013 at 08:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #17
gajidy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5

I say different strokes for different folks! The only thing that should matter is how you like your ride.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #18
poloka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540xi

I'm going to throw my $0.02 as well... I'm part of a Mustang club and the cars are modded with the parts that make the owners believe look best on the car. I've gone mostly Roush with my own twist but don't say it's a true RS3. And I don't get any crap from any of the club members. We love the vehicle and don't put members down for trying to improve on an already awesome machine.

I agree with Sedan_Clan for the mods to the exterior. I looked for adding a twist to my 50i-M sport but there isn't really anything out there as reasonable as the OEM parts for the X5M. Even with talking with my BMW aftermarket guy and the BMW collision shop we determined the 2011+ would require new fenders, lights, bumpers, rockers, flares, and exhaust. The fitment does not align for any of the M sport to what is on the X5M. The front bumper to the front flares is the starting point. The flares on the sport extend half way down the bumper where as the X5M stops at the top of the bumper.

At the end of the day, it's your vehicle so do what you want to make the vehicle your own. It is childish to put down an owner. We are adults so opinions and constructive comments to the thread are welcome but beyond that please be courteous to your fellow BMW owners. We are all driving the ultimate machine so enjoy what you got and have fun.

Previously owned:
2015 650xi Gran Coupe MSport
2011 X5 50xi MSport
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #19
Hanger
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70 M-sport

Why not upgrade both your looks and your engine ?
Here are some pictures of a norwegian build.
2007 4.8, heavily retrofitted, now with 500bhp and a complete x5m look.
Yes, it is still a fake, but still a good looking and fun car.
Its also about having fun with a project, and having that quality garage time, away from work, kids, wife and whatever.

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #20
Hanger
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70 M-sport

And before you ask why not just buy a x5m ..
Car taxes in Norway are INSANE. A new x5m would set you back 400 000 USD.
Just to put things in perspective.. I see that the 2013 x5m totals for about 84 000 USD.. and thats what you have to pay for a 2.0d VW Passat here in Norway.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 12:47 AM   #21
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanger View Post
And before you ask why not just buy a x5m ..
Car taxes in Norway are INSANE. A new x5m would set you back 400 000 USD.
Just to put things in perspective.. I see that the 2013 x5m totals for about 84 000 USD.. and thats what you have to pay for a 2.0d VW Passat here in Norway.
Fuck!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 02:43 AM   #22
1NaztyX5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E70/E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanger View Post
Why not upgrade both your looks and your engine ?
Here are some pictures of a norwegian build.
2007 4.8, heavily retrofitted, now with 500bhp and a complete x5m look.
Yes, it is still a fake, but still a good looking and fun car.
Its also about having fun with a project, and having that quality garage time, away from work, kids, wife and whatever.

That truck looks great, looks like lots of work when in it, should have done the mirrors too for the complete X5m look.
Appreciate 0