XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-18-2017, 11:03 PM   #1
SyL3nTFoRcE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

21 inch or 22 inch rims for my X5m

So as my other thread states I will be going on a road trip and i nees to change my tires on my oem wheels but my plan was to buy new wheels for summer and use oem for winter.

Question i have is which is a better option? i do like to drive my car alot and i have seen alot of x5m with 22's but how comfortable is it?

any thoughts and ideas would help.

also would it be a bad thing to buy 22x10.5 rear wheels? i know stock it comes 20x11 but not sure if it mattered since the wheels i want they dont have a 22x11 rear
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 04:00 PM   #2
gixxerboy63
Tanzanite Blue II X5M Pilot
Rep
Drives: M3, M4, X3 M40i, X5M

Garage List
2017 m4  [0.00]
2010 BMW X5M  [10.00]
Buy my Buddy's 22" ADVs.... half the price of new ones and just as nice.
PM me if interested.

2020 X5M - Tanzanite II
2012 M3 - Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 04:33 PM   #3
SyL3nTFoRcE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerboy63 View Post
Buy my Buddy's 22" ADVs.... half the price of new ones and just as nice.
PM me if interested.
pm sent
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 08:19 PM   #4
jrmccain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Well I can't really speak to the comfort of "22s on an X5M because I'm sitting on a set. It is presently near impossible to find the 335 rear for the "22. I know that there was a thread on this topic and they may be available now. I'm not sure since I have near new tires on my OEM 20s and am not looking.

You might want to look into availability of rubber before you buy.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 09:53 AM   #5
deansbimmer
Mporium BMW
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmccain View Post
This is important. Right now you only have a few options for 22's. Pirelli, Lexani, or Lionhart. If you don't want to be seen riding on off-brand tires then you're only left with the Pirelli's, which are quite expensive and not that amazing a tire anyway.

Continental makes a fantastic 22" for the EU market but to get a set stateside will require importing from a seller willing to ship them here. (I gave up on that endeavor).

The 21" will have the better ride and better tire options. The ride on my X5M with 22's and H&R 1.2 drop is as punishing as my M3 on coilovers was.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 10:29 AM   #6
SyL3nTFoRcE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmccain View Post
Well I can't really speak to the comfort of "22s on an X5M because I'm sitting on a set. It is presently near impossible to find the 335 rear for the "22. I know that there was a thread on this topic and they may be available now. I'm not sure since I have near new tires on my OEM 20s and am not looking.

I only found 335/25/22 from Lionhart never had them heard they were good but i dont know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
This is important. Right now you only have a few options for 22's. Pirelli, Lexani, or Lionhart. If you don't want to be seen riding on off-brand tires then you're only left with the Pirelli's, which are quite expensive and not that amazing a tire anyway.

Continental makes a fantastic 22" for the EU market but to get a set stateside will require importing from a seller willing to ship them here. (I gave up on that endeavor).

The 21" will have the better ride and better tire options. The ride on my X5M with 22's and H&R 1.2 drop is as punishing as my M3 on coilovers was.
Yea the lionhart brand is the only one i found for 335/25/22 and for 315 there are 3 lexani Peirelli, lionhart. im ok with different brands as long as i can find reviews about that brand first and they have to be good. Im trying to find more X5M with 21 inch wheels but im mostly finding 22inch wheels. I will be dropping it in the future but i hate that my wheels look so small and tucked in. i could just buy tires for my stocks but i wanted to put winter tires on them and buy summer set wheels for this and next.

im still debating on what size alot of nice 22 inch wheels but since im going to be driving this car alot till the end of this year im thinking 21 for comfort and the fact i can find more tires for 21
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #7
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyL3nTFoRcE View Post
I only found 335/25/22 from Lionhart never had them heard they were good but i dont know.

Yea the lionhart brand is the only one i found for 335/25/22 and for 315 there are 3 lexani Peirelli, lionhart. im ok with different brands as long as i can find reviews about that brand first and they have to be good. Im trying to find more X5M with 21 inch wheels but im mostly finding 22inch wheels. I will be dropping it in the future but i hate that my wheels look so small and tucked in. i could just buy tires for my stocks but i wanted to put winter tires on them and buy summer set wheels for this and next.

im still debating on what size alot of nice 22 inch wheels but since im going to be driving this car alot till the end of this year im thinking 21 for comfort and the fact i can find more tires for 21
Few things here:

1) I've had 21" on MPSS-s and now I'm on 22" Lexanis that you mentioned. I'm on stock ride height. The 21" with MPSS had a good balance of comfort and performance but lacked the visual drama that I was after (bigger wheels). The 22" on Lexani LX-Thirty are a tad bit stiffer due to the VERY small sidewall but the ride is not ruined by any means BUT 22" combo looks great. I could probably use a slight drop (H&R 1.2" would probably do).

Traction in the dry will never be an issue due to the sheer width of the damn things. Both are ok in the rain. I only had the Michellin's on snow and they were shit (high performance summer tire) as a matter of fact, I bent my rim and that's why I moved up to 22"...I don't anticipate the Lexani would be better, probably worse. I don't track the truck so I can't really speak (nor do I care for) the performance aspect of it. Don't think the tire noise is that much more noticeable between the two. MPSSs lasted me a couple of years, Lexanis are fresh so can't speak for them.

2) A bigger wheel and/or drop will not fix your stance (tucked in look). Your wheels will look tucked even after you go up in size and drop the vehicle because it's due to offsets. If you're looking for a flush stance, you'll likely need spacers. Pretty sure 99% of the guys are running them here, me included (15mm front, 20mm rear on my setup)...whether it be a $10K wheel set from HRE or a $1000 replica set from China. Also keep in mind, running a really aggressive setup will pummel your underside (side skirts) and your rear quarter panel with rocks and debris from the road and will ruin the paint. Just a heads up.

Feel free to ask any more questions.

Last edited by mirob; 07-20-2017 at 11:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 11:07 AM   #8
SyL3nTFoRcE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
Few things here:

1) I've had 21" on MPSS-s and now I'm on 22" Lexanis that you mentioned. I'm on stock ride height. The 21" with MPSS had a good balance of comfort and performance but lacked the visual drama that I was after (bigger wheels). The 22" on Lexani LX-Thirty are a tad bit stiffer due to the VERY small sidewall but the ride is not ruined by any means BUT 22" combo looks great, although I could probably use a slight drop (H&R 1.2" would probably do).

Traction in the dry will never be an issue due to the sheer width of the damn things. Both are ok in the rain. I only had the Michellin's on snow and they were shit (high performance summer tire) as a matter of fact, I bent my rim and that's why I moved up to 22"...I don't anticipate the Lexani would be better, probably even worse. I don't track the truck so I can't really speak (nor do I care for) the performance aspect of it. Don't think the tire noise is that much more noticeable between the two. MPSSs lasted me about a couple of years, Lexanis are fresh so can't speak for them.

2) A bigger wheel or a drop will not fix your stance (tucked in look). Your wheels will look tucked even after you go up in size and drop the vehicle because it's due to offsets. If you're looking for a flush stance, you'll likely need spacers. Pretty sure 99% of the guys are running them here, me included (15mm front, 20mm rear on my setup)...whether it be a $10K wheel set from HRE or a $1000 replica set from China. Also keep in mind, running a really aggressive stance wheel pummel your underside (side skirt) and your rear quarter panel with rock and debris from the road and will ruin the paint. Just a heads up.

Feel free to ask any more questions.
Thanks for your input, a few questions i have, do you have pics of your 21 and 22 on the car? what rims and tire size are you running? do you know what tire sizes are safe to run since its AWD?

Since i dont like the tucked in look so much i might buy 10 mm for the front and 15 mm for the rear just in case. Im planning on getting the sides repainted in the future and possibly not drive the car as much after. im looking at wheels that will give my car the aggressive sporty look that wont break the bank so much. i got a budget of 3k-4k to spend so i know i can find something good for that
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 11:31 AM   #9
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Updated with pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyL3nTFoRcE View Post
Thanks for your input, a few questions i have, do you have pics of your 21 and 22 on the car? what rims and tire size are you running? do you know what tire sizes are safe to run since its AWD?

Since i dont like the tucked in look so much i might buy 10 mm for the front and 15 mm for the rear just in case. Im planning on getting the sides repainted in the future and possibly not drive the car as much after. im looking at wheels that will give my car the aggressive sporty look that wont break the bank so much. i got a budget of 3k-4k to spend so i know i can find something good for that
I do have pics. I'll try to upload some for you today.

The 21" I ran were OEM 215s 21x10 +40 and 21x11.5 +38 on MPSS 285/35 and 325/30.

The 22" are replicas of OEM Style 451 (claimed - I don't think they are because they don't look like any BMW wheel I've seen) and are 22x10 +40 and 22x11 +35 on Lexani LX-Thirty 295/30 and 335/25.

I also run 15mm front and 20mm rear spacers.

The tire sizes mentioned above are the recommended sizes/diameters. I wouldn't stray from that or it will affect your differential and your speedometer. It's probably affecting it regardless.

I've had my trim pieces re-sprayed and wrapped with 3M. I highly recommend doing that or you'll be spraying them quite often. The MPSSs were hella sticky, with radio off, I could hear them just pummeling the fenders.

I think your budget is really solid. Hell, you could pick up some used HREs or BBSs for that...if you don't mind used...

Here are some pics. Sorry for the quality. They were all taken at my parents house.

The ones with the 215s were taken a couple of years ago when I first got the vehicle, pretty sure it didn't have the MPSSs when I took these. The pics with the reps are pretty recent, last month or so.
Attached Images

Last edited by mirob; 07-20-2017 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: Updated with pictures.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2017, 10:58 AM   #10
gixxerboy63
Tanzanite Blue II X5M Pilot
Rep
Drives: M3, M4, X3 M40i, X5M

Garage List
2017 m4  [0.00]
2010 BMW X5M  [10.00]
Mine with OEM 299M 20" wheels with H&R 1.2" drop and 15mm/front 20mm/rear spacing.

2020 X5M - Tanzanite II
2012 M3 - Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2017, 09:16 PM   #11
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

Quote:
Mine with OEM 299M 20" wheels with H&R 1.2" drop and 15mm/front 20mm/rear spacing.

That is very pretty sir.

My vote is for 21's. You can deal with the harsh ride of the 22's because the bad assery of how they look. 21's perform like stock, and look a little better than stock.
      07-23-2017, 12:33 PM   #12
pers785
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:

Any more pics with this set up? Hoping to see 20s lowered on H&R 1.2 vs H&R 2"
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 09:02 AM   #13
SyL3nTFoRcE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Your car looks clean as hell, and the drop with the oem rims and spacers look good. I plan on my oem 20's as winter wheels though maybe next year ill just powdercoat min silver again and leave those on for the summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
I do have pics. I'll try to upload some for you today.

The 21" I ran were OEM 215s 21x10 +40 and 21x11.5 +38 on MPSS 285/35 and 325/30.

The 22" are replicas of OEM Style 451 (claimed - I don't think they are because they don't look like any BMW wheel I've seen) and are 22x10 +40 and 22x11 +35 on Lexani LX-Thirty 295/30 and 335/25.

I also run 15mm front and 20mm rear spacers.

The tire sizes mentioned above are the recommended sizes/diameters. I wouldn't stray from that or it will affect your differential and your speedometer. It's probably affecting it regardless.

I've had my trim pieces re-sprayed and wrapped with 3M. I highly recommend doing that or you'll be spraying them quite often. The MPSSs were hella sticky, with radio off, I could hear them just pummeling the fenders.

I think your budget is really solid. Hell, you could pick up some used HREs or BBSs for that...if you don't mind used...

Here are some pics. Sorry for the quality. They were all taken at my parents house.

The ones with the 215s were taken a couple of years ago when I first got the vehicle, pretty sure it didn't have the MPSSs when I took these. The pics with the reps are pretty recent, last month or so.
I see what you mean, im going for 22 i think. Ive seen so many x5m with 22's and it catches my eye more than 21's.
Appreciate 0