XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-02-2017, 04:17 PM   #1
deansbimmer
Mporium BMW
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
X5M Execuhitch review for E70

I wanted to share my experiences here since there is next to no current information or photos about the X5M Execuhitch system that I could find online. I have every intention of towing with our 2011 X5M and hated the idea of a visible hitch spoiling the appearance of the trucks rear end. So I bought the X5M Execuhitch (aka invisihitch) optioned with the OEM trailer harness and AHM module. All in cost was a little over $1000. Note that the X5M invisihitch is unique and is different than any of the other E70 X5 hitches.

We were off to a rocky start. The order page said in stock and will ship in two days. I received an email stating there was a delay, and after a few emails back and forth, and two weeks of wait, I finally had the hitch in hand. Next problem was that when I opened the box, the order was incomplete. There were no ball hitch adapters for the 2" ball mounts I ordered. I emailed them and they apologized and promptly sent me the adapters I had originally ordered.

The electrical components also included a K+DCAN cable and contact information for Okee at Codemycar. (I assume this service is included in the cost of the hitch) There was no mention of this on their website, which is seriously lacking anyway.

Installation was easy. There was plenty of documentation.

Pictured here is the bike rack adapter. It states emphatically that it is NOT to be used for towing.

Rear bumper also got stripped and repainted...

The next part is where the major disappointment sets in. Part of my desire for this system was to enable me to retain the carbon fiber diffuser, and there were no google results with anything stating that wouldn't work.

However, after installing the bumper, the diffuser and its center fin extend far too low to enable insertion of the ball hitch adapter (which is a very proprietary part). The folks at Execuhitch gave it their best shot by looking into it and determining that the diffuser is not an OEM installed part which explains the issue (but I already knew that). They even went as far as to offer manufacturing a custom ball adapter to clear the aftermarket diffuser. The problem is that they were limited to extending the insertion post by 1 1/8" which would still require cutting some of the diffuser, so I politely declined. So before I can use the hitch, I am left with the decision to cut the diffuser and keep it, or to remove it and go back to no carbon.

Bottom line here is DON'T buy one of these hitches if your main goal is to keep an aftermarket diffuser untouched. The hitch system will (just barely) clear the OEM bumper only. If there is anything over the bumper, it will interfere with the hitch.

The electrical component of the hitch was easy as well with the BMW kit and its OEM instructions printed from the TIS system. I have not had the system coded yet but will update if there are any issues there.

Overall, this is a very nice system. Their website is awful and half the times I called they didn't answer their phones, but the product is quality.
Appreciate 2