XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
Car car
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5

Angry 2012 X5 shut off on highway

Yesterday, I called BMW Canada to report that my X5 suddenly just shut off on the highway the day before (not sure they actually are told about these things from the dealer). I told them how BMW assist really was not very helpful (I had to call the towing company myself to see what was happening; they sent the wrong kind of tow truck, and then the one that finally came over 2.5 hours later was not what I thought BMW would send for its customers!!!).
When I finally arrived at the dealer (whom I called to let them know that I was coming and what had happened), they acted like they didn't care, the assistant manager just walked by me grumpy and angry looking (as usual)while I was in tears and still shaken up and the service manager came out from his office (where he was being yelled at by another customer) and became defensive and rude to me.
I wanted BMW Canada to know what really goes on in theses dealers!!!
But most importantly, I wanted to express my concern about the safety and severity of the issue. I let them know that many people buy BMW because they think they are safe for themselves and their children and then this happens! Totally not acceptable! If they had a code to fix the problem, then they must have known that it could have potentially happened to someone and they should have had a recall to correct the issue before one was ever reported.
Someone please pinch me! Is this a nightmare????
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car car View Post
Yesterday, I called BMW Canada to report that my X5 suddenly just shut off on the highway the day before (not sure they actually are told about these things from the dealer). I told them how BMW assist really was not very helpful (I had to call the towing company myself to see what was happening; they sent the wrong kind of tow truck, and then the one that finally came over 2.5 hours later was not what I thought BMW would send for its customers!!!).
When I finally arrived at the dealer (whom I called to let them know that I was coming and what had happened), they acted like they didn't care, the assistant manager just walked by me grumpy and angry looking (as usual)while I was in tears and still shaken up and the service manager came out from his office (where he was being yelled at by another customer) and became defensive and rude to me.
I wanted BMW Canada to know what really goes on in theses dealers!!!
But most importantly, I wanted to express my concern about the safety and severity of the issue. I let them know that many people buy BMW because they think they are safe for themselves and their children and then this happens! Totally not acceptable! If they had a code to fix the problem, then they must have known that it could have potentially happened to someone and they should have had a recall to correct the issue before one was ever reported.
Someone please pinch me! Is this a nightmare????
No, it's not a nightmare it is just routine. In the service/maintenance side of things, no one cares that you drive a BMW or any other car for that matter. They will send you the first available tow truck and if that one is not satisfactory, they willl send you the next one - the person sending the truck has no idea what the truck and the driver are like.

It sucks to have your car just quit on the highway but s*** happens. Now,the attitude of the BMW dealer personnel is regretable but perhaps you precipitated the response with your own attitude - a customer in tears would soften me up but perhaps that same scene would anger the Assistant Manager . . I don't know. Over the years I have found that people's treatment of me is directly proportional to my treatment of them so I try to be nice and cool at all times, even when something as upsetting as my brand new BMW quits on the highway. Having said that, I hope you find satisfaction in the future steps that BMW and your dealer are going to make to resolve your issue.

Finally, more specific details of the car you drive and the circumstances of the event would be helpul to some of us who might encounter this same problem in the future.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
Car car
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5

After a day in the shop, I received a message from the dealer telling me that they found out what the problem was. They had to contact Germany. They said it was a "software error in the DME as per PUMA Measure" which was found as being 51033547.

Glad that they found what the issue was!

By the way, the assistant manager I previously mentioned seems to have a "unique" way of dealing with issues. Not sure if a comment "it's not a big deal" is appropriate to tell a customer when the customer picks up their new 90K X5 vehicle and finds various parts missing and has to come back on several occasions to pick them up.

And, a kind word or just a word to reassure the customer not to worry after their vehicle stops in a live lane on a highway would have been nice to hear. Even the service advisor I was dealing with was shocked by how things were dealt with.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

Is your X5 gas or diesel? The assistant manager's attitude seems to be that of a jerk so if you have the alternative I recommend you find another dealer. Dealers vary greatly: when my wife had a 2010 VW diesel wagon the first service under warranty at dealer A was a complete and total failure, then we switched to dealer B and they were terrific. I hope you have another dealer nearby where people have a standing order to treat their customers with the utmost respect and consideration.
Appreciate 0