XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-01-2017, 03:45 PM   #1
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Oil Smoke after sitting for a week 35i n55

So she's got 125k miles and never smokes at normal startup or heavy acceleration and normal driving. Doesn't even burn oil between oil changes as we never need to add oil.

but when it sits for a week at startup their a lot of oil smoke and then it stops and doesn't reappear again unless it sits for a while. If it sits for a few days the smoke is light and just a little puff, if it sits for a week or more the smoke is pretty noticeable.

Would this be a turbo leaking thing? Doesn't seem to be rings or anything as it doesn't smoke otherwise. Could be valve guides.

Just wondering if replacing the turbo would solve the issue?

Or replacing the head.

This is on a 35i N55

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 06:35 PM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

If nobody knows does anybody know what would be the best turbo to replace the stock n55 one with? Something better quality than stock? Or would stock be the best bet?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 05:40 AM   #3
omgboost
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Pure turbos stage 2 :-D
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 09:26 AM   #4
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgboost View Post
Pure turbos stage 2 :-D
Ok I'll look into that, probably stay around a stage 1 though as it's high milage and don't want to stress it two much.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 07:43 PM   #5
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
What about it makes you think it is oil smoke?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 07:50 PM   #6
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
It's your classic bluish white smoke.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 09:51 PM   #7
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Quote:
It's your classic bluish white smoke.
Also I had the Carbon blasting done and the valves where surprisingly clean for over 100k miles.

They where dry as well and showed no signs of valve leakage, but you never know. That's why I was thinking it was the valve seals.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 10:07 AM   #8
JoeyBimX5din
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i

if your not losing any oil between oil changes, why fix what is not broken?

I would bet its just carbon in the exhaust mixed with condensation, and it just makes more after sitting a long while. As long as your not losing oil between oil changes, I wouldn't go seeking out things to 'repair'.
1995 BMW 540i6 - H&R Lowering Springs, Bilstein's, Racing Dynamics Bars, Catback, Short shifter
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 10:25 AM   #9
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
I was thinking the same thing. "... boy that escalated quickly "

Some steam from the exhaust and go straight for thinking about new turbos or a new head.

Just this past couple weeks I was investigating the same thing. After 5-6 days of sitting I would get a large cloud of smoke at start up. But never has it hinted of oil, coolant or fuel.

But, when I took it in for the drive shaft recall I asked them to look it over and they kept it sitting long enough to check out the smoke on start up.

Maybe it is a developing issue, but none of us feel any concern over this. Lots of water/condensation can sit in these pipes and cats.

I read a post a while back where someone poured about a gal of water out of their exhaust when they took it off to do some work (not an X5 )
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 11:58 AM   #10
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. "... boy that escalated quickly "

Some steam from the exhaust and go straight for thinking about new turbos or a new head.

Just this past couple weeks I was investigating the same thing. After 5-6 days of sitting I would get a large cloud of smoke at start up. But never has it hinted of oil, coolant or fuel.

But, when I took it in for the drive shaft recall I asked them to look it over and they kept it sitting long enough to check out the smoke on start up.

Maybe it is a developing issue, but none of us feel any concern over this. Lots of water/condensation can sit in these pipes and cats.

I read a post a while back where someone poured about a gal of water out of their exhaust when they took it off to do some work (not an X5 )
Guys I know it's not condensation trust me!

I'm big on preventative maintenance and oil leakage I don't like. Just wondering if people had oil blow by after sitting and if they ever repaired it and what it was that they did to repair the issue. That's all. Water vapor doesn't hang around. This smoke is your classic puff of oil burning off somewhere.

I'm betting it may be a leak somewhere whether it's an injector or valve the smoke it immediate. And disappears after idling a few seconds. And doesn't reappear unless the X is left to sit for a few days. Just don't like leaky things. .

Anywho thanks for your thoughts all is appreciated !!!

After researching the stage 2 from pure turbos maybe I will go that route! .
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 09:04 AM   #11
JoeyBimX5din
Lieutenant
Rep

Oh no your not calling this thread quits, I will not let you waste money in the name of 'fixing' things. You can waste money in the name of going fast, but your being stubborn thinking something is broken. Pure stage 2 turbos would gain you some power, but you just can't fix what isn't broken.

I am not calling it water vapor, I am calling it WATER. That is your smoke, if your injector was leaking down just from sitting a while, you would be experiencing other misfire based issue, occasionally, not necessarily all the time.

If you ARE NOT LOSING OIL BETWEEN OIL CHANGES, how do you come to the conclusion on startup it is oil that is coming from the exhaust? Please do not change any parts because of this 'complaint' it is a non issue. If your level of oil stays the same over how ever long you run your oil changes, what kind of logic are you using to say 'it must be oil'

On the new item you have deemed failing, if you have a bad injector that is leaking down when the truck is off for a week, are you experiencing a misfire on restart after a week?

I have been doing this fixing thing for a LONG time. I have run into a few customers who have had the thoughts an ideas you have, I have talked some out of doing some insane things in the name of 'repairs' while others have just wasted money for the sake of wasting money much against my recommendations.

Please take my advise, please do not go and repair things in the name of your 'oil loss' problems. If you and I were having a conversation in front of each other you would see how serious and firm I am in this conviction, I do not want you to go and waste this money, please please, DO NOT.
1995 BMW 540i6 - H&R Lowering Springs, Bilstein's, Racing Dynamics Bars, Catback, Short shifter
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 11:05 AM   #12
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBimX5din View Post
Oh no your not calling this thread quits, I will not let you waste money in the name of 'fixing' things. You can waste money in the name of going fast, but your being stubborn thinking something is broken. Pure stage 2 turbos would gain you some power, but you just can't fix what isn't broken.

I am not calling it water vapor, I am calling it WATER. That is your smoke, if your injector was leaking down just from sitting a while, you would be experiencing other misfire based issue, occasionally, not necessarily all the time.

If you ARE NOT LOSING OIL BETWEEN OIL CHANGES, how do you come to the conclusion on startup it is oil that is coming from the exhaust? Please do not change any parts because of this 'complaint' it is a non issue. If your level of oil stays the same over how ever long you run your oil changes, what kind of logic are you using to say 'it must be oil'

On the new item you have deemed failing, if you have a bad injector that is leaking down when the truck is off for a week, are you experiencing a misfire on restart after a week?

I have been doing this fixing thing for a LONG time. I have run into a few customers who have had the thoughts an ideas you have, I have talked some out of doing some insane things in the name of 'repairs' while others have just wasted money for the sake of wasting money much against my recommendations.

Please take my advise, please do not go and repair things in the name of your 'oil loss' problems. If you and I were having a conversation in front of each other you would see how serious and firm I am in this conviction, I do not want you to go and waste this money, please please, DO NOT.
Lol your the best!

No worries ! Actually turns out sometime in 2013 BMW updated the turbo oil line to include a check valve that limits the amount of oil to drain back, (turned out to be a big issue) what was happening was during a cold start oil had seeped into the turbo inlet into the exhaust and caused a slight puff of smoke. During longer sits it fumigate Miskitos, the turbos have a lot of miles on them and the seals are somewhat worn allowing some oil blow by, once I update the turbos and the turbo lines the issue should be resolved. .

I change my oil every 5k so it doesn't burn enough to make a difference, as the car doesn't really sit around unless we are on a long vacation or long weekend.

I guess this issue involved the N55 and a few other motors that shared similar design. Gives ma an excuse to tinker.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 02:21 PM   #13
JoeyBimX5din
Lieutenant
Rep

you want to guess how much my n63 loses between changes? I would have to sit down and do the math. It isn't pretty.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 02:45 PM   #14
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBimX5din View Post
you want to guess how much my n63 loses between changes? I would have to sit down and do the math. It isn't pretty.
Yea I hear crazy stories. I figured it was a mod I'd like to do, the head is a little nuts I agree, the turbo, if I'm going to replace it I'll do it with something better. . If it fixes the issue .. great if not like you said I'll leave it be.
Appreciate 0