XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

X6 5.0 vs. GL 550

I am geting close to the end of my lease and am debating getting another X6 5.0 (love driving it) or getting a GL550. It does offer more space but is probably less sporty. Has anyone contemplated or pulled the trigger on a GL after an X6?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

I have owned an X6 35i (2010), a GL550 (2012), and now an X6M (2013) ..... I traded my X6 35i for the GL550 because it made financial sense at the time due to the high value of the X6's. Missed my X6 THAT much, ended up with the X6M just about a year later. Still have the GL550 in the family.

My thoughts:

- Sporty? Sporty is not a word to describe the GL Klasse. The GL550 is definitely fast in a straight line - and the new gen GL550 is faster than the previous gen, I am sure. The GL63 AMG can probably reach relative SUV ludicrous speed. However, any GL handles like a boat. Not as bad as an Escalade (I hate those things!) but definitely not in the same league as any X6, which drives more like a car than an SUV.

- Comfy? Definitely. Long trips with 2 kids, TV screens, etc., freaking awesome. The X6 was/is an awesome road trip car, but the ride on the GL550 is so plush, you can sleep. Which is good for passengers, not so good for the driver who likes to DRIVE. Also of note if you have kids/car seats, wifey will prefer the normal back doors for getting kiddos in and out of the car compared to the sloping roofline of the X6. Practicality, shmackticality.

- Space: obvious tip of the hat to GL550. You don't buy an X6 because it's practical, right? That's what the X5 is for. GL550 has craploads of cargo space. The X6 is not too shabby though, as I have personally fit an entire Costco shopping which included a Traeger full-size grill in my X6 35i, with the back seats down. However in the GL550 you will be able to take wifey, 2 kids, and about a month's worth of luggage and still be comfy and have room for the inevitable extra items on the return trip.

- Safety - They are both tanks. I am fully confident in any German car to uphold well in an accident, unless you get run over by a train, in which case, it doesn't make too much of a difference. That being said, I think the GL550 will have more airbags in more ridiculous places. The new GL also has the sunshades which I love in both of my X6's, especially for kids.

Overall, the GL550 is a much more comfy, relaxed, spacious, and luxury car than the X6 (unless you go X6M with full Merino or X6 Individual... my X6M has more leather in it in more places covering more area than my GL550, but the X6 35i did not)

It is, however, so boring to drive, that if you're like me, you will need a shot of adrenaline and a midget to randomly club you in the head so that you don't fall asleep while driving it.

Anyway, both great cars but X6 is the driver's car (aka I call it my DadMobile) and GL is the uber family wagon. In reality, any X6 or GL are beautiful cars and you can't go wrong with owning either.

If not GL what else are you considering, out of curiosity?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
aas5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
I have owned an X6 35i (2010), a GL550 (2012), and now an X6M (2013) ..... I traded my X6 35i for the GL550 because it made financial sense at the time due to the high value of the X6's. Missed my X6 THAT much, ended up with the X6M just about a year later. Still have the GL550 in the family.

My thoughts:

- Sporty? Sporty is not a word to describe the GL Klasse. The GL550 is definitely fast in a straight line - and the new gen GL550 is faster than the previous gen, I am sure. The GL63 AMG can probably reach relative SUV ludicrous speed. However, any GL handles like a boat. Not as bad as an Escalade (I hate those things!) but definitely not in the same league as any X6, which drives more like a car than an SUV.

- Comfy? Definitely. Long trips with 2 kids, TV screens, etc., freaking awesome. The X6 was/is an awesome road trip car, but the ride on the GL550 is so plush, you can sleep. Which is good for passengers, not so good for the driver who likes to DRIVE. Also of note if you have kids/car seats, wifey will prefer the normal back doors for getting kiddos in and out of the car compared to the sloping roofline of the X6. Practicality, shmackticality.

- Space: obvious tip of the hat to GL550. You don't buy an X6 because it's practical, right? That's what the X5 is for. GL550 has craploads of cargo space. The X6 is not too shabby though, as I have personally fit an entire Costco shopping which included a Traeger full-size grill in my X6 35i, with the back seats down. However in the GL550 you will be able to take wifey, 2 kids, and about a month's worth of luggage and still be comfy and have room for the inevitable extra items on the return trip.

- Safety - They are both tanks. I am fully confident in any German car to uphold well in an accident, unless you get run over by a train, in which case, it doesn't make too much of a difference. That being said, I think the GL550 will have more airbags in more ridiculous places. The new GL also has the sunshades which I love in both of my X6's, especially for kids.

Overall, the GL550 is a much more comfy, relaxed, spacious, and luxury car than the X6 (unless you go X6M with full Merino or X6 Individual... my X6M has more leather in it in more places covering more area than my GL550, but the X6 35i did not)

It is, however, so boring to drive, that if you're like me, you will need a shot of adrenaline and a midget to randomly club you in the head so that you don't fall asleep while driving it.

Anyway, both great cars but X6 is the driver's car (aka I call it my DadMobile) and GL is the uber family wagon. In reality, any X6 or GL are beautiful cars and you can't go wrong with owning either.

If not GL what else are you considering, out of curiosity?
Thanks for replying. You hit all the points! I am definitely a car guy who likes to drive fast. I am afraid the GL will be boring to drive and this is important to me. Ideally, I would get a new X6 5.0 (or may be X6M if the residuals get better) and a GL for long family trips but we rarely drive on weekdays so having two cars makes no sense. I've had my X6 for 2.5 years now and it handled everything I needed for a family of four with no problems. It's got the looks and lots of power.

I a not really considering any other car other than a GL550. I may take a look at X5 but it's not the same as X6. It would have been nice for BMW to make an X7 but suspect they will never do that.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Get an X6M and never look back.

The residuals are what they are, they don't change much for the M cars, except maybe the M3. The higher priced M cars don't have good residuals.

The residuals on the GL550 also suck - MB will do lease deals on the 450, but not on the 550 or the AMG cars.

My GL550 payment is higher than my X6M payment, to put it in perspective Part of that was my credit sucked when I picked up the GL, but overall the residual is crap just like on M cars.

Bimmerfest sponsors will get you a great deal on an X6M if you can do a PCD, since you'd be ordering from out of state. This is what I did with my X6M.

So I am biased but for a driver's car, X6M all the way baby!!!

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
aas5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
Get an X6M and never look back.

The residuals are what they are, they don't change much for the M cars, except maybe the M3. The higher priced M cars don't have good residuals.

The residuals on the GL550 also suck - MB will do lease deals on the 450, but not on the 550 or the AMG cars.

My GL550 payment is higher than my X6M payment, to put it in perspective Part of that was my credit sucked when I picked up the GL, but overall the residual is crap just like on M cars.

Bimmerfest sponsors will get you a great deal on an X6M if you can do a PCD, since you'd be ordering from out of state. This is what I did with my X6M.

So I am biased but for a driver's car, X6M all the way baby!!!

Thanks, I will give x6M a try.
Appreciate 0