XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Vibration at 65mph

2011 X5. At around 65 mph the car is vibrating. It's not something I feel on the steering wheel. As I was driving today I looked at the passenger seat headrest and it was shaking. A sign of vibration of the whole car. I doubt it's wheel alignment as I have felt this prior to changing my tires and after changing my tires. Has anyone noticed this before. I will take her in next week

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
alextclam
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 40i

I was talking with my friend last weekend and he said his 2012 7 series was vibrating also. He brought it to the dealer (Open Road) a couple times and they couldn't fix the problem. His friend has a 2011 7 series and also had the same problems. He is in the process of filing a lawsuit with BMWNA because they couldn't fix it after numerous attempts and on top of it they are denying there is a problem. They are saying it's normal to have a rougher ride due to the RF tires. They both experience vibrations on the head rest and other parts of the interior at speeds ranging from 35 - 65 mph.

The first thing I would check is the wheel lug nuts and make sure they are all secured tight. One of my previous cars was vibrating like hell and I took it to the shop. It turned out to be loose lug nuts on the front passenger wheels..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks I will check the nuts to see if that's the problem. If not I will take her in and report back

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
Centrofly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5M

It's your transfer case! Just had same issue. Have them disconnect the transfer case (all wheel drive ) it will turn the x5 into a rear wheel drive and the vibration goes away. Tell them to order another transfer case. They apparently can go bad on the x5. My service guy is great, even went as far as putting different brand new wheels to rule out bent rims, they can disconnect the transfer case and you can drive it while disconnected to be sure. 2010 x5m. It will do the trick! Make sure you check tire pressures a lot! Not sure on the 7 unless its xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

I finally took her in. The first dealership said:
-The rims have a slight bend
-The tires had steel belts that were shifted. The tires are 3 months old!!! (Conti RFTs)
They called it in to BMW tire and insurance company and they denied the claim, which I am pissed off about.

Anyway took it in to another dealer and they said the tires were all incorrectly balanced. They rebalanced them and I am yet to test drive it but they said the vibration is gone. One tire has excessive road force. I will get it replaced under warranty hopefully next week. If that does not work I will just buy a new tire, however they said its not a big deal but its an option.

Glad this is over, I was starting to lose sleep over the stories about the 7 series.

Thanks everyone

Update

Drove the car it's good now, no more vibration

Appreciate 0