XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-31-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
PurpleHeart135
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

E70 x5m questions

I didn't want to thread jack somebody else's thread so I hope you don't mind I start up a new one.

Anyway, name is Kiva, and I'm looking at getting a used 2010-2011 x5m. I am 23 years old and currently driving an 09' 135i and an 09' c63 amg. Spending over $1,000/mo in car payments is getting old and I am looking to move towards something more practical but still has that M/AMG prestige. Also, living in upstate NY made last winter quite interesting driving around in the 135i. Finally, I think it is ridiculous that at 23 I am spending over $1,000/mo and would like to start putting together a down payment for my next house in 10/15 years. I'm already building equity in mine but would like to eventually upgrade.

Lastly, I've had my fun. The C63 is awesome and I will for sure return to the AMG world, however, I feel as though the AMG SUV's are inferior to the x5m. And again, $1,000+/mo is stupid for now, but, once I pay this car off (if I get the x5m) I'd end up in an E63 as my play toy.

Now, to the point. Are there any glaring issues with the x5m's? I need to be more thorough with this car. For example, I bought the c63 because I loved the car for the longest time and now I am afraid to enjoy it because they have head bolt issues. Replacing a hand built engine just doesn't sound like a ton of fun to me. Furthermore, coming from the c63, things like gas mileage and such don't phase me. I'm looking more into things like the headbolts, longevity of the turbos, fuel pumps that bmw's eat through, etc.

Also, I'm open to other suggestions for cars if there is something out there you guys think is awesome and on this level that I overlooked but I'm pretty sure I've covered the bases and settled on the x5m.

Lastly, I need the space. I guess I don't need it as much as others (no wife or kids and live alone) however, I have two pitbulls that are my babies. I cringe when they jump into the c63 and the back seat is loaded with comforters so they don't mess up the leather but I still need to wipe down the entire car after a drive anyway. Also, I like to travel up to the Adirondacks and a lowered c63 doesn't really like the terrain.

Thanks for any insight, and seeing as this is a car forum I'll leave you with a couple pictures so at the very least if you opened this thread and rolled your eyes at another "Thinking of buying..." thread at least I gave you something to look at!

Thanks

My AMG:

My 1:

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 12:22 AM   #2
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

If you can get a CPO model, then as long if you like driving the X5M, you don't have much to worry about. If it breaks, BMW fixes it.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
PurpleHeart135
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Thanks, that was in the direction of my question. I understand I wouldn't have to worry with a CPO but I was just curious as to what does go wrong. I don't want to be at the dealer every other week when something is wrong with the car even if it is on their dime.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
qadhi79
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 LCI (Space Gray)

like P1et said..try to get a CPO and extend your warranty/maintenance as long as you want to keep the car

I sold my ML63 AMG just because I was very very scared of the head bolt issue and could not enjoy it with a fear of it breaking down anytime

X5M is a a bulletproof machine and there are no catastrophic issues with the car..nothing major that you cant pay off your pocket without warranty and even that doesn't happen frequently

browsing the X5M/X6M forums will give you a good picture where everybody is talking about mods and accessories and not breakdowns..best of luck for the new purchase!
      08-05-2013, 01:11 AM   #5
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

I love the C63 yours is very well done! I was also a 2vehicle guy and sold my truck and car for the X5M it's a great all purpose unit that's very sporty for an SUV. Down pipes and a tune and they are pushing around 650-680hp so they also cure a bit of the need for speed a guy has.