XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

05-08-2015, 10:07 AM   #1
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M Sport (Sports Auto)

The Last of Us

I bought The Last of Us on PS3 last weekend. I have been watching The Walking Dead (1-4) on DVD with two of my kids and really enjoying this ... a guy at my work mentioned The Last of Us, as a (very broadly) similarly themed video game, so I got a copy.

We are about 3 hours of play in ... I absolutely love it. The atmosphere of the game is superb. It's eerie and constantly rewarding, with each new scene. I like the fact that a lot of the game is about stealthing your way around, as opposed to going in to a fight with all guns blazing. This stealth aspect appeals to me.

I was wondering if anyone else playing? Also, anyone playing on PS4 .. wondering about the game play and rendering differential from PS3 to PS4.

Cheers ...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 10:11 AM   #2
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I've heard this is a very good game. It's one of the few console games which I'm sad never made the jump to PC. I'm part of the PC Master Race, so I guess I'll never play it. I'm not buying a crappy console for one game. ;P

Also, Season 5 of The Walking Dead wrapped up a month or so ago. Check it out online, it was probably my favorite season thus far.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 10:39 AM   #3
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I've heard this is a very good game. It's one of the few console games which I'm sad never made the jump to PC. I'm part of the PC Master Race, so I guess I'll never play it. I'm not buying a crappy console for one game. ;P

Also, Season 5 of The Walking Dead wrapped up a month or so ago. Check it out online, it was probably my favorite season thus far.
I agree .. it would be pretty crazy to buy a console for one game.

I will wait until Season 5 is on DVD and get it then. I am little bit old skool and like to "own" things. we are nearly at the end of Season 3 at the moment, so still plenty to crunch through.

Cheers ...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 10:50 AM   #4
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipso_facto View Post
I agree .. it would be pretty crazy to buy a console for one game.

I will wait until Season 5 is on DVD and get it then. I am little bit old skool and like to "own" things. we are nearly at the end of Season 3 at the moment, so still plenty to crunch through.

Cheers ...
Oh I hear you, I run a huge Blu-Ray collection. I don't go to theaters anymore, I wait until the movies come out on Blu-Ray and buy them then.

I've just been a Walking Dead fan forever, including the comics. I have to see them as soon as they come out. ;P
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #5
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

I played it on PS3 and will probably have some time to play it on PS4 when my wife goes to NYC in a couple weeks or if I finish The Evil Within (recommend, but definitely not something to play with the kiddies...very gory, but stealth type game with very little help. i.e. Tough to find shotgun shells just laying around.)

I can imagine that the game play and rendering differential from PS3 to PS4 would by much smoother.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 03:58 AM   #6
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANGRKE70 View Post
I played it on PS3 and will probably have some time to play it on PS4 when my wife goes to NYC in a couple weeks or if I finish The Evil Within (recommend, but definitely not something to play with the kiddies...very gory, but stealth type game with very little help. i.e. Tough to find shotgun shells just laying around.)

I can imagine that the game play and rendering differential from PS3 to PS4 would by much smoother.
Cool. I will check out The Evil Within. My youngest two kids (10 and 12) are really into The Walking Dead, so they have become accustomed to a little gore ... but maybe you are right ... I might sample first, to see.

I can see my getting a PS4 off the back of wanting to see TLOU on there. Also, the Star Wars Battlefront due out later this year ... oh my goodness ...

Appreciate 1
      05-28-2015, 03:52 PM   #7
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipso_facto View Post
I bought The Last of Us on PS3 last weekend. I have been watching The Walking Dead (1-4) on DVD with two of my kids and really enjoying this ... a guy at my work mentioned The Last of Us, as a (very broadly) similarly themed video game, so I got a copy.

We are about 3 hours of play in ... I absolutely love it. The atmosphere of the game is superb. It's eerie and constantly rewarding, with each new scene. I like the fact that a lot of the game is about stealthing your way around, as opposed to going in to a fight with all guns blazing. This stealth aspect appeals to me.

I was wondering if anyone else playing? Also, anyone playing on PS4 .. wondering about the game play and rendering differential from PS3 to PS4.

Cheers ...
It looks much better on the PS4 (not like it looked like crap on the PS3), plus it comes with all of the additional content that came out later on the PS3. I'd suggest playing it on the hardest difficulty, it takes the game to a whole other level, LOVED it.

Basically aside from the usual with enemies being stronger and doing much more damage, you no longer have the feature where you can "see" where enemies are through objects, no HUD so you have no idea how much life you have, bullets, etc. Plus finding items is now virtually impossible. Really puts you on edge and is much more realistic.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 04:17 AM   #8
essex_lad
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Msport N53 Stage 2

I had it on ps4. One of the best games i have ever played and the story along with the cinamatic scenes is brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 06:54 AM   #9
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by essex_lad View Post
I had it on ps4. One of the best games i have ever played and the story along with the cinamatic scenes is brilliant.
Great : thanks for sharing !
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 08:32 AM   #10
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

I agree that as good as it is on PS3, PS4 makes the game even better if that's possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 05:20 PM   #11
FREDDJ2
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Played on both PS3 and PS4. Slight visual improvements on the latter but great game. They just announced Uncharted: The Nathan Drake collection, also made by naughty dog, might be worth checking out.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 05:35 PM   #12
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREDDJ2 View Post
Played on both PS3 and PS4. Slight visual improvements on the latter but great game. They just announced Uncharted: The Nathan Drake collection, also made by naughty dog, might be worth checking out.
The uncharted series is one of the best franchises for gamers who like adventure platforms. Definitely worth checking out if you are into games like Watch Dogs/Tomb Raider/Ninja Gaiden/Metal Gear
      06-10-2015, 10:30 AM   #13
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by essex_lad View Post
This. I got it with my PS4 and absolutely loved this game. The storyline and dialogue was better than almost every game I've ever played. Actually felt like a movie. So bummed when I finished it.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 11:15 AM   #14
Sheriff7
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 Series

The Last of Us is probably one of my favourites, a great story line and superb gameplay! Online is pretty good too.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 03:45 PM   #15
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff7 View Post
The Last of Us is probably one of my favourites, a great story line and superb gameplay! Online is pretty good too.
Yep ... seems like there's a lot of love for this game. I have not looked at the online aspects of the game at all. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Cheers!
Appreciate 0