XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-22-2022, 10:35 AM   #1
BoilerMakerATX
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d, F90 COMP

Smile DIY: CarPlay Install - 2012 X5d

Hello guys,

I have not posted in the X5 forum before as I didn't have one. I was in the X3 M40i crowd and got rid of that car and recently got the 35D and very happy with it.

First thing I did was ordering the CarPlay module and installing it. I contemplated the android headunits but unless you get one with max rams and good CPU I think the experience will be terrible, however I could be wrong. Instead I got the CarPlay box and hooked it up and all is smooth.

I made a video during this process and hope it can help others who are wanting to go through this route too. Feel free to ask any question! I got the unit from Andream just FYI. It seems like they increased the price by $25 last time I checked

[Sorry I don't know how to make the video appear in the post instead of a link]

https://youtu.be/oIz3uhi3IO4
Appreciate 1
wcs53196.50
      10-06-2022, 01:34 PM   #2
Chrisnytx
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [10.00]
Wow! Glad there's an easy solution for this. I just started my research on the car play topic. I have some questions for you.

After owning it for some time, how do you like it?

Do you still get turn by turn directions in your hud?

How is the transition between your iDrive and car play?

Would you recommend it/ buy it again knowing what you know now?

Thank you for your time
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 08:33 AM   #3
BoilerMakerATX
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d, F90 COMP

Hi!

Sorry it took me forever to reply back to you my apologies. I answered your questions inside the quoted text... any other questions let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnytx View Post
Wow! Glad there's an easy solution for this. I just started my research on the car play topic. I have some questions for you.

After owning it for some time, how do you like it?
I love it! One thing that annoys me is at the end of navigation when reaching destination, I need to use the wheel to go through menu and click end navigation if I don't want to wait till the end of it while if it was a touch screen, it would take 2 touches with your finger. Otherwise I'm very happy with it and it works really well.

Do you still get turn by turn directions in your hud?
You do not get navigation on your HUD. Only 2020+ BMWs would get turn by turn on HUD from CarPlay.

How is the transition between your iDrive and car play?
It's easy, click and hold "menu" button (top middle one) and you can switch back and forth between iDrive and CarPlay.

Would you recommend it/ buy it again knowing what you know now?
I would, for the price you get great functionality. However, I'm sure the bigger Android screen is nice to have, just make sure to get a highly specced unit if you go this route (big ram and storage).

Thank you for your time
Appreciate 0