XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

03-03-2016, 06:46 AM   #23
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Same old bs from GM. No innovation. The C6 GS made sense, but not a C7 GS IMO. The C6Z was hardtop & manual trans only. The C7Z has always been targa or vert & you can get an auto trans now. No need for a C7 GS.

Also, we need some wow colors for the C7.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 06:57 AM   #24
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

So the killer combo to do now would be to get a gs z07, add an aftermarket supercharger, and save 15k for essentially the same thing as a z06. Where's the zr1? I still want coilovers though
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 07:07 AM   #25
John Galt
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Then they need to look elsewhere

Agreed... it IS, in fact, a track oriented car. If someone doesn't want that, get a dragster because the C7 isn't that Downforce is great at speed on a road course and makes most every aspect of the car far better... who cares about stop light racing or illegal high pulls. This is about real drivers taking it to the track
U will care when u meet a 4 door 63 or smth like that on the autobahn. You will be ashamed that ur "supercar" can't keep up with the heavy sedan. Even the Cts v is faster after the 120... Lambos, Ferraris , Porsches etc they are good everywhere. C7 is good only on the track.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 07:10 AM   #26
John Galt
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
Buy a Z51 or base car for top speed and acceleration. Problem solved. For the Z06, just buy one with the base aero.
Even the base z has the parachute
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 07:18 AM   #27
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Been waiting for this since the Z06 came out. Beautiful car and easily my choice. Bravo GM, this really made me think about my F80 purchase next year.

I hate that blue interior though, but that's about the only complaint I have for that limited edition. This car is going to be a hoot.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 07:25 AM   #28
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Not sure about the 6.2 as the engine of choice. I would have preferred the 427 505 hp with +25-50 hp of gm tweaks personally.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 07:58 AM   #29
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
U will care when u meet a 4 door 63 or smth like that on the autobahn. You will be ashamed that ur "supercar" can't keep up with the heavy sedan. Even the Cts v is faster after the 120... Lambos, Ferraris , Porsches etc they are good everywhere. C7 is good only on the track.
Where is the autobahn again?
      03-03-2016, 07:58 AM   #30
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Even the base z has the parachute
Wrong.
      03-03-2016, 08:34 AM   #31
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Not disputing that there are "faster" sedans... but I could not care less I'd just give them a thumbs up and let them show off their fancy pants straight line speed

I don't measure myself based on autobahn races and could not care less that those cars are faster in a straight line. That is only ONE dimension of a car's ability. Put all of the components of a car together... power, brakes, handling, chassis balance, etc... and I'd put the C7 GS up against the C63 or the CTS-V any day of the week on a road course and it would eat their lunch. The overall platform... not just acceleration... is fantastic and far better than many cars that cost a whole lot more $$$.

But you are correct in that if I want to drag race or do high speed pulls on the autobahn (which I don't because it is boring and one dimensional), I'd pick a different car

When you say a C7 is "only good on a track" that, IMO, is complete silliness. At anything other than go to jail speeds, it is running neck and next with 95% of all cars out there even in straight line speed (many Stingrays are trapping 120+ mph in the 1/4 and that is FAR from slow). And, unless you live in a world of straight roads, the C7 will handle better, provide a more fun experience and be more "sports car" like than anything MB, Audi or BMW sell today IMO outside of the MB GT. You would need to go to Porsche to get a comparable. So, to say it is "only good at the track" is hogwash. That's from someone who has owned some of the best cars Germany has to offer... and a C7.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3

Last edited by gthal; 03-03-2016 at 08:45 AM..
Appreciate 3
      03-03-2016, 08:53 AM   #32
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not disputing that there are "faster" sedans... but I could not care less I'd just give them a thumbs up and let them show off their fancy pants straight line speed

I don't measure myself based on autobahn races and could not care less that those cars are faster in a straight line. That is only ONE dimension of a car's ability. Put all of the components of a car together... power, brakes, handling, chassis balance, etc... and I'd put the C7 GS up against the C63 or the CTS-V any day of the week on a road course and it would eat their lunch. The overall platform... not just acceleration... is fantastic and far better than many cars that cost a whole lot more $$$.

But you are correct in that if I want to drag race or do high speed pulls on the autobahn (which I don't because it is boring and one dimensional), I'd pick a different car

When you say a C7 is "only good on a track" that, IMO, is complete silliness. At anything other than go to jail speeds, it is running neck and next with 95% of all cars out there even in straight line speed (many Stingrays are trapping 120+ mph in the 1/4 and that is FAR from slow). And, unless you live in a world of straight roads, the C7 will handle better, provide a more fun experience and be more "sports car" like than anything MB, Audi or BMW sell today IMO outside of the MB GT. You would need to go to Porsche to get a comparable. So, to say it is "only good at the track" is hogwash. That's from someone who has owned some of the best cars Germany has to offer... and a C7.
What didn't you like about the C7? I'm kicking around the idea of selling my C6Z (bolt-ons & cam) & C7 is on my list to test drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 08:59 AM   #33
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedRide View Post
What didn't you like about the C7? I'm kicking around the idea of selling my C6Z (bolt-ons & cam) & C7 is on my list to test drive.
Loved it... it needed a back seat

I thought I could make it work with my kids around but I found I wasn't driving it as much as I wanted. I like to drive my "fun" cars every day and I simply couldn't use it as much as I wanted. It's a great car otherwise.

More "raw" and sports car like than my M4 but, to me, that was a big part of its appeal. The M4 is a better DD overall but the C7 was a better weekend/track car IMO. The new GS with the Z06 bits will be that much better again. I miss my C7 and am really thinking about buying another (to go with my M2 DD )
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2016, 09:03 AM   #34
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:

I thought I could make it work with my kids around but I found I wasn't driving it as much as I wanted. I like to drive my "fun" cars every day and I simply couldn't use it as much as I wanted. It's a great car otherwise.

More "raw" and sports car like than my M4 but, to me, that was a big part of its appeal. The M4 is a better DD overall but the C7 was a better weekend/track car IMO. The new GS with the Z06 bits will be that much better again. I miss my C7 and am really thinking about buying another (to go with my M2 DD )
I'd personally pick the CS over the M2 myself. I like this new Vette that much, and you rarely hear me say that
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2016, 09:14 AM   #35
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Same old bs from GM. No innovation. The C6 GS made sense, but not a C7 GS IMO. The C6Z was hardtop & manual trans only. The C7Z has always been targa or vert & you can get an auto trans now. No need for a C7 GS.

Also, we need some wow colors for the C7.
Yep, except for low GC, magnetic suspension, roadholding in excess of anything near it's pricepoint, aerodynamics that will allow it to track way above it's class, an auto transmission that shifts quicker than a DCT, and everything else, there's no innovation whatsoever!

To me, the C7 GS replaces the "old" Z06, which was basically a ZR1 with a much more drivable engine that wasn't trying to break loose all the time. That's supposed to be largely addressed with the current Z06, but the idea is still a valid one and I wish more automakers did the same thing. In fact, this is one of the best "innovations" I can think of, put the top-end suspension/brakes on a lower end model. Like being able to get the M3 suspension on a 335, so if you want to carve up roads you can have 100% of the suspension of the higher end model ,without having the added expense, fuel consumption and anything else associated with the higher HP/TQ engine, which for your driving you may just simply not want or need. This is why the 1LE is such a great idea as well.
Appreciate 2
      03-03-2016, 09:33 AM   #36
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

I used to work in Frankfurt and had access to a company carpool with a number of cars that did 250 kph and rented a Boxster a few times to not be governed. Being able to drive 250+ is rare and actually having the opportunity to try to show off to another car was limited to literal seconds in thousands of miles of driving.

Being planted at those speeds is much more enjoyable than being able to wag your automotive peen for five or so seconds. Chevy is doing this right.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 11:30 AM   #37
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

I am not a GM guy but goddamn this is a killer package! Price est $62K

Press Release:

A 'purist' model that leverages a half-century legacy of motorsports success

- Lightweight architecture and track-honed aerodynamics
- An engine offering an estimated 1.05g in cornering capability and up to 1.2g with the available Z07 package
- Coupe and convertible available this summer in U.S. and fall in Europe
- Grand Sport Collector Edition available later in model year

GENEVA – With Corvette Racing in its DNA, the all-new 2017 Corvette Grand Sport is a pure expression of the car's motorsports-bred pedigree. It was introduced today at the Geneva International Motor Show.

Like the 2015 Le Mans-winning Corvette C7.R GTE Pro race car, the new Grand Sport combines a lightweight architecture, a track-honed aerodynamics package, Michelin tires and a naturally aspirated engine.

The 2017 Corvette Grand Sport offers an estimated 1.05g in cornering capability – and up to 1.2g with the available Z07 package.

Heritage-inspired design cues and exclusive features acknowledge the historic Grand Sport legacy, established in 1963 to take on the world's best sports cars. Only five were built before a corporate decision suspending direct motorsports involvement ended the project.

"Racing has been part of Corvette's essence for more than 50 years and that track experience has helped us build better, more capable cars," said Mark Reuss, executive vice president of Global Product Development and Global Purchasing and Supply Chain. "The global acclaim for the seventh-generation Corvette validates that direct link and the 2017 Grand Sport takes its track-bred technology to a new, exciting threshold."

The Corvette Grand Sport coupe and convertible go on sale this summer in the U.S. and in the fall in Europe.

No holding back

Engineers adapted the chassis tuning, upgraded cooling systems, and performance technologies of the Corvette Z06 to give the new Grand Sport capability commensurate with its racing-derived history.

"We didn't hold back with the new Grand Sport," said Tadge Juechter, Corvette chief engineer. "For the first time, buyers can equip the Grand Sport with a Z07 performance package – which adds carbon-ceramic brakes, Michelin Sport Cup 2 summer tires, and carbon-fiber aero package that delivers true downforce."

The result is a potent track car. In fact, the Grand Sport with the Z07 package is less than one second off the track record for the previous-generation Corvette ZR1 on the road course at GM's Milford Proving Ground.

Content highlights for Grand Sport include:

- Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer tires: 285/30ZR19 (front) and 335/25ZR20 (rear)
- Specific Grand Sport wheel design: 19x10 inches (front) and 20x12 inches (rear)
- Brembo brake system with (355 mm) 14-inch rotors and six-piston calipers in front and (340 mm) 13.4 inch rotors and four-piston calipers in the rear
- Standard magnetic ride control, specific stabilizer bars and unique springs
- Standard electronic limited-slip differential
- LT1 V8 engine rated at (343 kW) 460 hp, with dry-sump oiling system and active exhaust
- Seven-speed manual transmission with active rev match and available eight-speed paddle-shift automatic with specific performance calibration
- Available Z07 package adds carbon ceramic-matrix brakes and Michelin Pilot Sport 2 Cup tires.

In addition to track-focused aero elements, the Grand Sport also features specific front fender inserts, a Z06-style grille and wider rear fenders – a distinctive design package that gives the car a track-ready attitude.

Grand Sport models are offered with the Stingray's full exterior and interior color palette. An available Heritage package includes hash-mark fender graphics in six colors, with the hash-mark detail carried onto the interior's brushed aluminum trim. Full-length stripes are also offered.

"The choices are almost endless," said Harlan Charles, Corvette product marketing manager. "The packages take personalization to an unprecedented level, enabling customers to create their own Corvette Grand Sport statement like no other."

Grand Sport Collector Edition

The Grand Sport Collector Edition features an exclusive Watkins Glen Gray Metallic exterior with Tension Blue hash-mark graphics, satin black full-length stripes, black wheels and a unique Tension Blue full leather and suede-wrapped interior.

The Tension Blue color is a bold, modern take on the hue historically associated with the Grand Sport. Inside, a three-dimensional representation of an original Grand Sport race car is embossed in the headrests and that shape is also used on an instrument panel plaque that carries a unique build sequence number.

The Collector Edition will be offered later in the model year in the U.S. and Europe.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 07:08 AM   #38
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Yep, except for low GC, magnetic suspension, roadholding in excess of anything near it's pricepoint, aerodynamics that will allow it to track way above it's class, an auto transmission that shifts quicker than a DCT, and everything else, there's no innovation whatsoever!
Go back & re-read what I said. However, no there is no innovation in magnetic suspension etc either. They just slap that on everything anymore. Been done many times already.

Quote:
To me, the C7 GS replaces the "old" Z06, which was basically a ZR1 with a much more drivable engine that wasn't trying to break loose all the time. .
LOL! NO, just no. There is no power pump in the C7 GS. The C6Z, I own one btw, is not simply a ZR1 that isn't trying to break loose.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 07:09 AM   #39
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
I am not a GM guy but goddamn this is a killer package! Price est $62K
A base + Z51 is $61,400. The GS will not be $62k
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 07:10 AM   #40
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks for the reply. Are you replacing the M4 w/the M2?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 02:06 PM   #41
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Quote:
Go back & re-read what I said. However, no there is no innovation in magnetic suspension etc either. They just slap that on everything anymore. Been done many times already.

LOL! NO, just no. There is no power pump in the C7 GS. The C6Z, I own one btw, is not simply a ZR1 that isn't trying to break loose.
That is exactly what the new GS is supposed to do. It simultaneously fills both the role of a C6 GS successor as well as serving as a another track-oriented option below the ZR1 with the Z07 Pkg.

The C6 GS didn't get a power bump either. And towards the end of the C6 life cycle, you could a ZR1 and Z06 with identical packages. The only thing separating them were the engines. Just like is the case with this vs the C7 Z.

I would have loved a larger capacity 500+ hp NA V8 as much as the next guy, but this car is indeed intended to more or less take the place of the old Z06 when equipped with the Z07 Pkg. After all, there isn't going to be an additional model to slot between this and the new Z06.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 03:24 PM   #42
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
That is exactly what the new GS is supposed to do. It simultaneously fills both the role of a C6 GS successor as well as serving as a another track-oriented option below the ZR1 with the Z07 Pkg.

The C6 GS didn't get a power bump either. And towards the end of the C6 life cycle, you could a ZR1 and Z06 with identical packages. The only thing separating them were the engines. Just like is the case with this vs the C7 Z.

I would have loved a larger capacity 500+ hp NA V8 as much as the next guy, but this car is indeed intended to more or less take the place of the old Z06 when equipped with the Z07 Pkg. After all, there isn't going to be an additional model to slot between this and the new Z06.

The C6 GS didnt get a bump in power because it came out late in the C6 cycle. The C6 got a motor and power bump in 2008. It went from the 400hp LS2 to the 430hp LS3. I bet the 2018 Corvette gets a power bump along with some other things. I bet it gets at least 500hp. 500hp GS will be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 03:44 PM   #43
saleen556
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I am very excited about this. I was going back and forth between a Z06 and a base Z51. I love the looks of the Z06 but feel it's power is unnecessary for a street car. I think I'll be extremely happy with a convertible GS.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 04:00 PM   #44
TBN54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 335 -> 17' F30 340i

Damn Daniel, back at it again with making me wish I had money.
Appreciate 1