XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-27-2016, 04:52 PM   #1
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

My Camaro was nice

When people would sit in my 2010 SS coupe they would usually remark that it looked like a fighter jet. There are interior features that car had that my bmw doesn't. Most of the difference is in people's minds IMO. I've had two German cars recently. The interior isn't all that, mind you I'm comparing 40-50K German cars and not things like 80+K 5 series and higher that actually do come with significantly better interiors.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 05:48 PM   #2
Shredicus
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
When people would sit in my 2010 SS coupe they would usually remark that it looked like a fighter jet. There are interior features that car had that my bmw doesn't. Most of the difference is in people's minds IMO. I've had two German cars recently. The interior isn't all that, mind you I'm comparing 40-50K German cars and not things like 80+K 5 series and higher that actually do come with significantly better interiors.
Novillo leather is so damn soft though...

Awesome that both of you guys ended up with V8 M3s at RFD
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 06:02 PM   #3
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
A friend of mine has a '11 SS 6MT. His setup is for the track; 305 squared setup on wheels that set him back $1500/each. 485RWHP on a very conservative pump gas tune as, again, this is meant to be beaten on at the track. Car hooks in 1st gear on the street (he let me wail on it), low miles, loaded, babied and handles like a Z/28.

The interior is sucks. Period. It isn't nearly the interior of my E92. Now the '16 interior is a whole other level...WAY nicer. But the '10-'15 interior is a very sore spot on the Camaro. This is fact.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 12:58 AM   #4
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird View Post
A friend of mine has a '11 SS 6MT. His setup is for the track; 305 squared setup on wheels that set him back $1500/each. 485RWHP on a very conservative pump gas tune as, again, this is meant to be beaten on at the track. Car hooks in 1st gear on the street (he let me wail on it), low miles, loaded, babied and handles like a Z/28.

The interior is sucks. Period. It isn't nearly the interior of my E92. Now the '16 interior is a whole other level...WAY nicer. But the '10-'15 interior is a very sore spot on the Camaro. This is fact.
I had stiffer sways, strut brace front and chassis brace rear, but even without, the suspension was lightyears ahead of my BMW. The camaro handled amazing, 3850lb car, not too bad, not superlight either of course.

Interior? How was it so "sucky"? The visibility? My F36 has almost the exact same size rear window, nothing different there. The camaro had higher door sills and hood, but to be expected with that body style and long front hood. If you can't deal with that, you'll never be able to deal with a jag/aston coupe, so forget ever driving anything exotic. I liked that people weren't gazing in my vehicle, but I also had some pretty aggressive tint all around. Otherwise, it had leather seats/interior, but no less plastic than any 3 series. People that think their 3 or 4 series was CNCed from an 8 foot block of aluminum and then inlaid with diamonds and goat leather are on freaking crack. You want an awesome interior, go option out a 6 series or porsche panamera, of course you'll be more than 100K into it, but that's the point, at the lower pricepoints, the BMW offers just as much plastic and nothing significant. The BMW climate control/environment control sucks, wants to turn on the A/C all the time. The gauges display is so-so, doesn't display a nice digital speedo like the chevy, phone connection was better on the chevy, steering wheel for cruise and radio is almost exactly the same, no difference there, and so on. Seats were about the same, the BMW sport seats are raved about, but I have to question the reviewers previous experience, they ain't no recaros in a porsche. There are some features I feel are better on the chevy, few on the BMW I feel are better, but the biggest turnoff is most likely the visibility on the camaro. You get used to it and I liked the exclusivity of it, but yes, it sucks, as much as any exotic car sucks for visibility, although to comply with modern requirements, better than a Lamborghini or Ferrari of old.

The C5 SS was an american car that could handle. They designed it like that from the beginning. The C6 takes it to a new level of refinement for sure, interior and otherwise. It's what driving and engagement is about. Chevy has this figured out. BMW, not so much.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 09:28 AM   #5
Apex Everything
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird View Post

Coming from an SS the thing to do is always buy 1LE, ZL1, Z28 parts and put them on your SS. As long as you have a V8 SS no one hazes anyone. That is as long as your not re-badging up to a ZL1 or Z28.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 07:42 PM   #6
Apex Everything
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredicus View Post
Novillo leather is so damn soft though...

Awesome that both of you guys ended up with V8 M3s at RFD
Stop the hate, get a V8!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 07:50 PM   #7
Apex Everything
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had stiffer sways, strut brace front and chassis brace rear, but even without, the suspension was lightyears ahead of my BMW. The camaro handled amazing, 3850lb car, not too bad, not superlight either of course.

Interior? How was it so "sucky"? The visibility? My F36 has almost the exact same size rear window, nothing different there. The camaro had higher door sills and hood, but to be expected with that body style and long front hood. If you can't deal with that, you'll never be able to deal with a jag/aston coupe, so forget ever driving anything exotic. I liked that people weren't gazing in my vehicle, but I also had some pretty aggressive tint all around. Otherwise, it had leather seats/interior, but no less plastic than any 3 series. People that think their 3 or 4 series was CNCed from an 8 foot block of aluminum and then inlaid with diamonds and goat leather are on freaking crack. You want an awesome interior, go option out a 6 series or porsche panamera, of course you'll be more than 100K into it, but that's the point, at the lower pricepoints, the BMW offers just as much plastic and nothing significant. The BMW climate control/environment control sucks, wants to turn on the A/C all the time. The gauges display is so-so, doesn't display a nice digital speedo like the chevy, phone connection was better on the chevy, steering wheel for cruise and radio is almost exactly the same, no difference there, and so on. Seats were about the same, the BMW sport seats are raved about, but I have to question the reviewers previous experience, they ain't no recaros in a porsche. There are some features I feel are better on the chevy, few on the BMW I feel are better, but the biggest turnoff is most likely the visibility on the camaro. You get used to it and I liked the exclusivity of it, but yes, it sucks, as much as any exotic car sucks for visibility, although to comply with modern requirements, better than a Lamborghini or Ferrari of old.

The C5 SS was an american car that could handle. They designed it like that from the beginning. The C6 takes it to a new level of refinement for sure, interior and otherwise. It's what driving and engagement is about. Chevy has this figured out. BMW, not so much.
The visibility in the Camaro was bad, but I daily'd it and survived.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 11:46 PM   #8
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Everything View Post
The visibility in the Camaro was bad, but I daily'd it and survived.
I designed this car for people that want sports cars that have visibility like econo-cars:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 04:43 AM   #9
Apex Everything
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I designed this car for people that want sports cars that have visibility like econo-cars:
Did you just now make that? lol
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 09:23 AM   #10
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Everything View Post
Did you just now make that? lol
And if someone is looking for something really exotic:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 04:07 PM   #11
Apex Everything
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And if someone is looking for something really exotic:
Respekt
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 12:27 PM   #12
Apex Everything
Banned
United_States
Rep

Back on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/commen...to_another_v8/
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 10:53 AM   #13
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Just get the GT350. Looks better, sounds better (at least until the Z28 is out) and the engine is a lot more M3-esque than a Chevy V8 will ever be. The visibility is a lot better too.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 07:26 PM   #14
Apex Everything
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysaurus View Post
Just get the GT350. Looks better, sounds better (at least until the Z28 is out) and the engine is a lot more M3-esque than a Chevy V8 will ever be. The visibility is a lot better too.
Or Alfa 4C for the revy-ness.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #15
Apex Everything
Banned
United_States
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 03:02 AM   #16
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Quote:

My guess is it handles very well because the chassis development was done by Holden in Australia. The Zeta plaform was an all Australian effort.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 01:38 AM   #17
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
My guess is it handles very well because the chassis development was done by Holden in Australia. The Zeta plaform was an all Australian effort.
Which has continued with the SS, the ATS-V, the CTS-V, the Corvette, the Z/28, etc...Pretty sure Holden didn't invent the magnetic shocks that chevy has been putting out there. Let's face it, they've been mastering the chassis lately. Far more than bmw.
      07-21-2016, 06:57 PM   #18
Apex Everything
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
Sad Holden is going away
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 02:15 PM   #19
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

The aussie engineering team out of Melbourne do a great job. Our roads are garbage but we ALWAYS liked big cars AND we liked euro more than American handling, the two don't mesh very well. They basically drove ford Australia nearly bankrupt as the Commodore handled so much better than the Falcon for three generations.

It's a very big car, larger than a 5 series, but will go roughly where you point it whilst not shattering your teeth.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 07:34 PM   #20
Apex Everything
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
The aussie engineering team out of Melbourne do a great job. Our roads are garbage but we ALWAYS liked big cars AND we liked euro more than American handling, the two don't mesh very well. They basically drove ford Australia nearly bankrupt as the Commodore handled so much better than the Falcon for three generations.

It's a very big car, larger than a 5 series, but will go roughly where you point it whilst not shattering your teeth.
I feel like a Aussie V8 sedan is more realistically mod-able.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 02:56 PM   #21
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Quote:
Which has continued with the SS, the ATS-V, the CTS-V, the Corvette, the Z/28, etc...Pretty sure Holden didn't invent the magnetic shocks that chevy has been putting out there. Let's face it, they've been mastering the chassis lately. Far more than bmw.
Holden didn't, but HSV has been using magnetic shocks for some time on Holden products, since the early 2000's. HSV were the first to use them on the Zeta platform.
Appreciate 0