XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

X6 with JB4 Juice box

Good Evening Fellas,
I have been reading all you guys' opinions and information for the past couple of years and finally decided to register to the forum because I have come to value you alls' thoughts and opinions. I was wondering if anyone had any feedback after installing a JB4 Tuner kit on an X6.

I got my juicebox a couple of days ago but have not istalled it yet cause i'm gonna wait till after the dealer does their thing about the recall on the fuel pump. If anyone has any comments on the JB$ in an X6, I would love to hear it!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
DARE U
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have the JB+ and love it! Instant feeling after abt 3 days when the OEM ECU get use to it!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Nice!! I hope you enjoy. I can't wait to join the club. I would love to intall the box now but I think it would be best if I wait the two weeks for after the dealership takes care of the recall for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Ok, so i had the JB4 tuner chip installed on my 2009 X6 35i last Friday and I have to say... what a difference!! She is riding way more powerful. Im doing 0-60 in about 5 seconds. Took it on the LIE (NY) and got it up to 130 MPH for about 5 mins but it felt like I was only doing around 50 MPH! Now my friends with their Chargers and Camaros want to challenge the Bimmer. According to the stats provided by bugertuning, in getting about 430 WHP and 450 Tourque with the juice box. What do you guys think? I've always valued the feedback I get from you guys.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
jouzef2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x6 5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
Ok, so i had the JB4 tuner chip installed on my 2009 X6 35i last Friday and I have to say... what a difference!! She is riding way more powerful. Im doing 0-60 in about 5 seconds. Took it on the LIE (NY) and got it up to 130 MPH for about 5 mins but it felt like I was only doing around 50 MPH! Now my friends with their Chargers and Camaros want to challenge the Bimmer. According to the stats provided by bugertuning, in getting about 430 WHP and 450 Tourque with the juice box. What do you guys think? I've always valued the feedback I get from you guys.
What is the difference in power between the tuner chip & the BMW performance ECU for x6 5.0 ??

pls advice cuz am intending to install the BMW ECU in the next few weeks
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 08:35 AM   #6
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jouzef2 View Post
What is the difference in power between the tuner chip & the BMW performance ECU for x6 5.0 ??

pls advice cuz am intending to install the BMW ECU in the next few weeks
The BMW OEM performance upgrade seems to add only about 20 extra HP whereas the aftermarket tunner chips like the JB+4 adds 80 extra HP like I have... or the Dinan chip which there are some of our brothers on this forum claim to get an extra 100 HP out of that one. Go online and check out those two tuner chips and then compare the difference with the OEM flash offered by BMW then make your decision based on what you feel comfortable enough to upgrade your engine performance.

Let me know how it goes!
      10-31-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

so much misinformation in this thread it is baffling....
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 09:00 AM   #8
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGP View Post
so much misinformation in this thread it is baffling....
Please explain... if you have more information regarding this matter, I would appreciate it if you would share... the more knowledge and insight, the better...
      10-31-2011, 10:46 AM   #9
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep

First off... there isn't a way in the world your truck picked up 80-100 whp. That's for starters. The "W" in front of the "HP" means "Wheel Horse Power". I say this because I believe most are confusing these numbers with the advertised "HP" of "CHP" numbers provided by BMW and in most cases tuners.

I had a 335i with the N54 engine. Since it looks like you have an N54 engine as well, you might think you are comparing apples to apples, but we're not. The exhaust is considerably different as well as drive train loss due to AWD.

JB+ is very convenient and will provide N54 (First model year of X6) owners with a solid gain of about 30-40 whp. Definitely noticeable. Now, running JB4, Procede, Giac, ESS, etc. with no other supporting mods will not net you more than about 50-60 whp. Maybe less, considering the power is distributed between all four wheels as opposed to the advertised RWHP numbers you will find on Burger tunings website.

So, what does an 35i X6 have as far as stock whp? Best way to estimate (besides putting it on a dyno) is to pull the numbers from 335xi's stock dynos over on E90post. From what I remember from the days I had my car, they were roughly 240-270 depending on the dyno and conditions. I had a RWD 335i and completely stock I had about 278 RWHP and 282 RWTQ. I will remind you, that is with power being put to 2 wheels, not four (in actuality it is only 1 wheel due to lack of LSD.. but I digress). That is why there is a considerable difference in power shown on the dyno between RWD and AWD cars.

Now, concerning recent dynos of 50i's. I believe I saw a dyno of about 380 AWHP. That is a stock number. Even with a tune on a 35i, you can't expect to be close to the amount of HP/TQ being produced by the V8. However, if you add some supporting mods such as full catless exhaust and possibly some higher octane supplements (meth or race fuel) you will get a lot more competitive.

I reached the 400 rwhp mark after investing a lot of money into the car. To expect the same or similar with simply a tune is not plausible.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
First off... there isn't a way in the world your truck picked up 80-100 whp. That's for starters. The "W" in front of the "HP" means "Wheel Horse Power". I say this because I believe most are confusing these numbers with the advertised "HP" of "CHP" numbers provided by BMW and in most cases tuners.

I had a 335i with the N54 engine. Since it looks like you have an N54 engine as well, you might think you are comparing apples to apples, but we're not. The exhaust is considerably different as well as drive train loss due to AWD.

JB+ is very convenient and will provide N54 (First model year of X6) owners with a solid gain of about 30-40 whp. Definitely noticeable. Now, running JB4, Procede, Giac, ESS, etc. with no other supporting mods will not net you more than about 50-60 whp. Maybe less, considering the power is distributed between all four wheels as opposed to the advertised RWHP numbers you will find on Burger tunings website.

So, what does an 35i X6 have as far as stock whp? Best way to estimate (besides putting it on a dyno) is to pull the numbers from 335xi's stock dynos over on E90post. From what I remember from the days I had my car, they were roughly 240-270 depending on the dyno and conditions. I had a RWD 335i and completely stock I had about 278 RWHP and 282 RWTQ. I will remind you, that is with power being put to 2 wheels, not four (in actuality it is only 1 wheel due to lack of LSD.. but I digress). That is why there is a considerable difference in power shown on the dyno between RWD and AWD cars.

Now, concerning recent dynos of 50i's. I believe I saw a dyno of about 380 AWHP. That is a stock number. Even with a tune on a 35i, you can't expect to be close to the amount of HP/TQ being produced by the V8. However, if you add some supporting mods such as full catless exhaust and possibly some higher octane supplements (meth or race fuel) you will get a lot more competitive.

I reached the 400 rwhp mark after investing a lot of money into the car. To expect the same or similar with simply a tune is not plausible.
I see where you are coming from. You seem to very very experienced with tuning engines whereas my current car would be the first time for me. The numbers i came up with were drawn from the advertisements of BMW and Burgertuning. i just did the math.

When I did have the chip installed, I did notice an increase in power and performance. I would love to do actually have my car diagnosed by DYNO, but no one has been able to point me in the right direction to find a shop in the NYC area when I asked around on this forum.

I got those numbers from doing the math but of course, because I am going off of what was being stated by the makers of the products, I am not truly sure of the numbers because i have not done the DYNO.

I do know that I still am beating HEMIs, which boast 428 HP and keeping up with X6 50i's without much difficulty. Also my 0-60 is just under 5 seconds so though you may be right about my numbers being less than what I got from doing the math, I would have a hard time believing that it is THAT much less.
      10-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #11
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
I see where you are coming from. You seem to very very experienced with tuning engines whereas my current car would be the first time for me. The numbers i came up with were drawn from the advertisements of BMW and Burgertuning. i just did the math.

When I did have the chip installed, I did notice an increase in power and performance. I would love to do actually have my car diagnosed by DYNO, but no one has been able to point me in the right direction to find a shop in the NYC area when I asked around on this forum.

I got those numbers from doing the math but of course, because I am going off of what was being stated by the makers of the products, I am not truly sure of the numbers because i have not done the DYNO.

I do know that I still am beating HEMIs, which boast 428 HP and keeping up with X6 50i's without much difficulty. Also my 0-60 is just under 5 seconds so though you may be right about my numbers being less than what I got from doing the math, I would have a hard time believing that it is THAT much less.

HP means nothing without factoring in weight. If it was based on HP alone... your bike wouldn't be very fast compared to your X6 would it?

We used to call what you did "ricer math". The only true way to know gains is to Dyno your truck without mods and then dyno again with them. There are lots of dynos in tri-state area. Since you have an N54 engine.. I would recommend stopping by E90post's Forced Induction section for more detailed info on the capabilities of your engine. Remember your truck weighs roughly 1500 lbs more than the average 335i.

There are some amazing vendors that are associated with Bimmerpost that I am sure can assist you in dyno'ing your car. Keep your eyes peeled in the Tri-State section of the Regional forums for a Dyno day. It will give you the opportunity to meet some other BMW enthusiasts and dyno your car at a reduced rate.

I would be shocked if your truck was doing sub 5 second 0-60 times with just a tune considering its power to weight ratio. But I will not completely deny its possibility due to the trucks AWD. I will put it to you like this. A tuned N54 can keep up pretty well with most SRT8s. A stock 335i is considerably faster than the non-performance hemi's. You having a tuned N54 and beating the non-performance hemi's is not surprising. Just remember your truck weighs 2 and a half tons... takes a lot to get that big butt moving.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 01:43 PM   #12
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
HP means nothing without factoring in weight. If it was based on HP alone... your bike wouldn't be very fast compared to your X6 would it?

We used to call what you did "ricer math". The only true way to know gains is to Dyno your truck without mods and then dyno again with them. There are lots of dynos in tri-state area. Since you have an N54 engine.. I would recommend stopping by E90post's Forced Induction section for more detailed info on the capabilities of your engine. Remember your truck weighs roughly 1500 lbs more than the average 335i.

There are some amazing vendors that are associated with Bimmerpost that I am sure can assist you in dyno'ing your car. Keep your eyes peeled in the Tri-State section of the Regional forums for a Dyno day. It will give you the opportunity to meet some other BMW enthusiasts and dyno your car at a reduced rate.

I would be shocked if your truck was doing sub 5 second 0-60 times with just a tune considering its power to weight ratio. But I will not completely deny its possibility due to the trucks AWD. I will put it to you like this. A tuned N54 can keep up pretty well with most SRT8s. A stock 335i is considerably faster than the non-performance hemi's. You having a tuned N54 and beating the non-performance hemi's is not surprising. Just remember your truck weighs 2 and a half tons... takes a lot to get that big butt moving.
LOL, you are right about that!. I understand that HP / wheight goes hand in hand and that because my car is heavier than the 335i, the N54 engine would have to do some work to get her moving. I will look out for the DYNO shops again because the info you provided has me curious once again and I would like to get the truth.

Another forum user mentioned something similar to me but as the months went by, and the satisfaction I feel when moving out on the cars I have put mine up against, my interest in DYNO kinda faded. Untill now. Thanks for the info. I should have talked with someone with as much experience with tuning as you seem to have a long time ago but I'm still happy with the performance of my car... even though I wouldn'd mind having an ///M badge on her... maybe next time after she gets a major face lift.
      10-31-2011, 02:14 PM   #13
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Quote:
Now, concerning recent dynos of 50i's. I believe I saw a dyno of about 380 AWHP. That is a stock number. Even with a tune on a 35i, you can't expect to be close to the amount of HP/TQ being produced by the V8.
I find this to be very unlikely
Can we see this dyno showing 380 wheel HP?
Crank 400Hp for 50i does not go inline with this number, even if BMW is underating this V8TT

Now, if we are comparing boosted N54 and stock 50i, the crank numbers should be very similar
Also, with the weight difference between 35i and 50i I can see how boosted N54 is very close to stock 50i in acceleration

Just my $0.02

Last edited by AndreyATC; 10-31-2011 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 03:37 PM   #14
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyATC View Post
I find this to be very unlikely
Can we see this dyno showing 380 wheel HP?
Crank 400Hp for 50i does not go inline with this number, even if BMW is underating this V8TT

Now, if we are comparing boosted N54 and stock 50i, the crank numbers should be very similar
Also, with the weight difference between 35i and 50i I can see how boosted N54 is very close to stock 50i in acceleration

Just my $0.02
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...03&postcount=1

350 whp 380 wtq..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 10:33 PM   #15
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Right,
I saw this thread
I guess you meant Tq, not HP
380wtq out of 450tq is expected
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #16
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep

Quote:
Right,
I saw this thread
I guess you meant Tq, not HP
380wtq out of 450tq is expected
I looked at it real quickly a few days back. But you're right 350 is much different than 380. However, when the OP starts talking about raw acceleration and 0-60 times.. TQ is what he is discussing, not HP.

Now that I think about it 15% drivetrain loss isn't as bad as I thought it would be.. I definitely expected worse. But you never can go by manufacturers advertised HP/TQ figures. They are simply attention getters that 99% of the purchasing market will never look to confirm.

Ohh and btw, OP your car looks great! I am digging the rims... Just hope you saved the stockers for the winter time. No reason to mess up chrome rims in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #17
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I doubt it is really 15% for drivetrain loss, especially with AWD
Most likely, just like with N54, N63 is underrated by about 20hp or so
Otherwise, that dyno is reading too high
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #18
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
I looked at it real quickly a few days back. But you're right 350 is much different than 380. However, when the OP starts talking about raw acceleration and 0-60 times.. TQ is what he is discussing, not HP.

Now that I think about it 15% drivetrain loss isn't as bad as I thought it would be.. I definitely expected worse. But you never can go by manufacturers advertised HP/TQ figures. They are simply attention getters that 99% of the purchasing market will never look to confirm.

Ohh and btw, OP your car looks great! I am digging the rims... Just hope you saved the stockers for the winter time. No reason to mess up chrome rims in the winter.
Thanks alot!. Like I said, I always appreciate the feedback and knowledge found from you guys on this forum. I have always been a BMW fan, but this is my first one so I like to do lots of research on the subject before, during and after the purchase even though I had this car for going on 3 years now.

I definitely kept the stock wheels for the NYC winters / potholes. Between yourself, Andrey ATC and Army 335xi, you all have shed alot of light on the matter regarding tuner chips and other performance mods. I just dont want my Bimmer to be shown up by anything unless it has an ///M badge or an AMG badge... especially by American Muscle, lol. Nice cars but my conception of BMW leads me to believe that my car should not be #2.

I know that of course because ultimately I'm still driving the 35i that ocassionally I will be in fact #2, but with the knowledge I've gained in the past few years, my next "car" project will be will be even tougher to beat.
      11-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #19
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep

Quote:
Otherwise, that dyno is reading too high
When in doubt, blame the dyno!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #20
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Take it to the 1/4 mile track and see what it/you can actually do vs dyno numbers alone.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0