XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-27-2013, 09:57 PM   #45
Maxx2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 X5M

I took a few pics today of the factory downpipes in preparation for a catless downpipe install. The "slip on" connection is clearly visible but there appears to be another connection point a bit further up with bolted flanges. Does anyone have any pics of these two connections on a 2010 or 2011 X5M?

Do the catless downpipes stop at that first bolted flange or do they reach the bottom where the slip on connection is?

Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 07:34 PM   #46
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

At $1500+ for software, I'd EXPECT great customer service as well...but at the end of the day, I'm not trying to make a new short term best friend (who once I've got the tune loaded I'll likely never talk to again)...instead I want the most usable power.

I've lost track of how many threads I've read with everyone saying their tuner is the best...based on what though? Customer service aside, what makes them better? So far the only before and afters I've seen are those coming from stock to tuned or those coming from $$Dinan$$ to ____, but I've NEVER go with $$Dinan$$, so I'm sure everything is an upgrade from there. I haven't found any threads that say they went from say AA to Velos, Velos to Burger, etc. Reading on the F10 M5 boards, one of the fastest guys on there has ESS and Burger combined. It's almost mind numbing trying to decide...everyone says chose the best customer service, but who cares after the fact because it's not like the guy is coming over for dinner...once again, I want the most usable power.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 07:50 PM   #47
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimshorts View Post
I've got a eurocharged tune and have been happy with it. Got a 12.2 so far and there is alot more in it.

I need to lose my run flats and grab an exhaust come spring time.
Loving the Dragtimes link in your signature...concrete numbers vs talk. PP is outta my price range, Renntech is right up there with it, Eurocharged numbers seem strong by a handful, then the rest don't have tuners listed or I'm guessing they're stock.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 12:29 AM   #48
xpl0sive
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

anyone try the Burger tune on an X5M/X6M? For $500 it seems like great value.

http://www.burgertuning.com/M3_M4_M5...nce_Tuner.html
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 12:36 AM   #49
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #50
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
anyone try the Burger tune on an X5M/X6M? For $500 it seems like great value.

http://www.burgertuning.com/M3_M4_M5...nce_Tuner.html
You don't buy on price when it comes to this type of mod. You just don't.
      09-11-2015, 11:24 AM   #51
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I've spent little under a week emailing with Ando about why I should choose their tunes. Their first goto is all the stuff they've done to other BMW's and then what they've done with the F10 M5. Although I kept reminding him that the M5 has different turbos, headers, ECU, Comp Package runs more timing and boost, exhaust from the downpipes back, higher compression and valvetronic...he still keeps bragging about the M5. I suggested that since they're focus is fastest quarter mile that they should get an X5/6M time up there, he said it's not that popular to tune (which he's right and why I spend more time on the M5 boards now), so with that said, just remember - is a canned tune. They do have the best price, theyrl jave good results from prior cars, I haven't seen it firsthand but it's claimed to be user adjustable via a laptop (more boost, I'm not sure if we can adjust timing or anything else) and soon they'll beer making it OBDII flashable.

PP-Performance and Renntech have broken into the 11's stock, but they're like $4000+ for a tune. Based on www.dragtimes.com, the lowest I've seen out there otherwise is low 12's with Eurocharged, so I'm torn between these two.

A lot of people pound the pavement with Velos' customer support, but at his price, it's what one should expect and thinking bigger picture, how long you really gonna need the great support because after a few days it's not like the guys coming over for dinner or watch the kids, instead we'll be out driving around and likely never need him again

To add more confusion, ESS tuned 'allmotor2000' M5 and he's pushing into the 800hp range, but he's using Burger piggyback to control the wastegates and running a JB4...things I've never heard of mentioned here.

AA, VF and I'm sure there's a few other are also options. The choice is yours. Most want great customer service, but I could careless...I want the most HP, consistent numbers and best price. While Burger is expandable, Eurocharged offers tuning upgrades for life, so I'm likely going Eurocharged and may even make a roadtrip to Texas or just do remote tuning through them via using a local dyno so I'll have a custom tune for my mods.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 12:28 PM   #52
xpl0sive
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I also emailed burger about the tune. They told me that their tune does not turn off the CEL when downpipes are installed. Since I'm planning on getting downpipes, I will have to go with another company
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 12:40 PM   #53
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Piggyback vs software.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 12:41 PM   #54
xpl0sive
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes I get that, but it's not as comprehensive as the JB4 for example... JB4 turns off the CEL
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 12:52 PM   #55
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Supposedly it's coming out in a few months. The downside to that is that it clears ALL codes, so if you've got other potential issues besides a CEL specifically for cats, you'll never know until the vehicle starts having physical driveability issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 03:38 PM   #56
Creamo3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Alpine White X5M

Just to chime in about Eurocharged...

I've had the tune for ~5 months and so far I'm pretty happy with the power but I think it's a 1 man show over there doing tunes across multiple platforms (Jerry) and requests fall thru the cracks or take longer than expected to complete. In my case I first got a canned tune for a stock X5M which was pretty straight forward and took maybe 1 week. I later installed down pipes and requested a new tune, which again was pretty straight forward, maybe 1-2 weeks to get the modified file.

My issue is that the current tune still hasn't done anything to address being catless (still get P0420 CEL) and it's been months of going back and forth with him trying to get the correct XML to read the ROM image and then test those settings on a local customers truck as he thinks it should work as is. I'm also working with him to modify cold-start RPM settings. He's been somewhat responsive but only when I send a follow up. It seems that he could use some help to offset the workload.

I'm planning to hit our local drag strip in the next few weeks, hopefully once the weather cools into the 50's/60's to get some times. I would be happy with high 11's, but my sense of speed is somewhat numb coming from a 9 sec street car to a luxo tank
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 04:02 PM   #57
xpl0sive
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So is Velos still a good option? they seem to get decent feedback
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 02:07 PM   #58
UglyBuzzard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 / M5

Besides cost, why are so many down on Dinan? For me, with warranty and CPO warranty, I think that the extra $ for piece of mind is worth it. Am I missing something? Is the increase not what they advertise? thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 07:09 PM   #59
Dr.Duct_Mossburg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Gray · E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
I've spent little under a week emailing with Ando about why I should choose their tunes. Their first goto is all the stuff they've done to other BMW's and then what they've done with the F10 M5. Although I kept reminding him that the M5 has different turbos, headers, ECU, Comp Package runs more timing and boost, exhaust from the downpipes back, higher compression and valvetronic...he still keeps bragging about the M5. I suggested that since they're focus is fastest quarter mile that they should get an X5/6M time up there, he said it's not that popular to tune (which he's right and why I spend more time on the M5 boards now), so with that said, just remember - is a canned tune. They do have the best price, theyrl jave good results from prior cars, I haven't seen it firsthand but it's claimed to be user adjustable via a laptop (more boost, I'm not sure if we can adjust timing or anything else) and soon they'll beer making it OBDII flashable.

PP-Performance and Renntech have broken into the 11's stock, but they're like $4000+ for a tune. Based on www.dragtimes.com, the lowest I've seen out there otherwise is low 12's with Eurocharged, so I'm torn between these two.

A lot of people pound the pavement with Velos' customer support, but at his price, it's what one should expect and thinking bigger picture, how long you really gonna need the great support because after a few days it's not like the guys coming over for dinner or watch the kids, instead we'll be out driving around and likely never need him again

To add more confusion, ESS tuned 'allmotor2000' M5 and he's pushing into the 800hp range, but he's using Burger piggyback to control the wastegates and running a JB4...things I've never heard of mentioned here.

AA, VF and I'm sure there's a few other are also options. The choice is yours. Most want great customer service, but I could careless...I want the most HP, consistent numbers and best price. While Burger is expandable, Eurocharged offers tuning upgrades for life, so I'm likely going Eurocharged and may even make a roadtrip to Texas or just do remote tuning through them via using a local dyno so I'll have a custom tune for my mods.
Just from what i've read there is very little knowledge on this board in terms of performance (which is kind of to be expected). Canned tunes make me cringe. Id love to go local with Eurocharged and get it actually tuned but at $2500... They can pound sand. I've always been amazed at how bad the euro community gets raped for tuning or "flashed" cost.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 02:31 AM   #60
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Call it rumors, speculation, lies between the competion, but I've read that all these tunes are a base map from BR Consulting, so I actually bought two tunes...ESS ($1500, haven't installed yet) and MorePower.de ($800, installed, removed for dyno testing pre tune numbers, reinstalled but have yet to retest for post tune numbers), both of which are "stage 2" since I've got gutted/catless downpipes. If my post tune numbers are as advertised, MorePower has agreed to pay for half my dyno time and then I'll be returning the ESS tune.

Even after replacing both PCV lines going from the valve covers to the intake tubes, both intake tubes and their gaskets that feed to the turbo themselves, upgraded from index 07 to 12 injectors...I'm still getting a random Reduced Power warning that goes away from cycling the engine off/on. I can hear/feel it coming as it sounds like a misfire, little less power and then I get the message, but oddly it jumps right back tp full power even if the message remains. This weekend I'll be installing new plugs, smoke test (MorePower is determined to thinkI've got a boost leak after seeing my dyno powerband) and then I'll return to the dyno for post tune numbers.
Attached Images

Last edited by m5james; 11-20-2015 at 02:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 07:41 AM   #61
Creamo3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Alpine White X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
Call it rumors, speculation, lies between the competion, but I've read that all these tunes are a base map from BR Consulting, so I actually bought two tunes...ESS ($1500, haven't installed yet) and MorePower.de ($800, installed, removed for dyno testing pre tune numbers, reinstalled but have yet to retest for post tune numbers), both of which are "stage 2" since I've got gutted/catless downpipes. If my post tune numbers are as advertised, MorePower has agreed to pay for half my dyno time and then I'll be returning the ESS tune.

Even after replacing both PCV lines going from the valve covers to the intake tubes, both intake tubes and their gaskets that feed to the turbo themselves, upgraded from index 07 to 12 injectors...I'm still getting a random Reduced Power warning that goes away from cycling the engine off/on. I can hear/feel it coming as it sounds like a misfire, little less power and then I get the message, but oddly it jumps right back tp full power even if the message remains. This weekend I'll be installing new plugs, smoke test (MorePower is determined to thinkI've got a boost leak after seeing my dyno powerband) and then I'll return to the dyno for post tune numbers.
I have a feeling most of these tuners are using the same "canned" tune, but maybe not Anyway, is that baseline run on a Mustang dyno?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 02:00 AM   #62
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yes, it was a Mustang. I'm trying to track down an 310B error code I'm getting from INPA as well as a random reduced power warning before I go back for post tune numbers.
Appreciate 0