XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

06-08-2014, 07:14 AM   #1
Connery1969
Rep
Drives: X6-40D

Garage List
2010 BMW X6 40d  [0.00]
Shuttering during slow speed 90 degrees steering

Hello all,
We have just bought a 100k km BMW x6 40d. The car was used for long distance driving with proffresional driver. Always maintained at BMW and came with extended service & repair packages.

The car is much heavier than the little Mini Cooper S we were driving before, but the handling is amazing for such a large beast.

There is a few things that worry me though:
1)
When making sharp 90 degrees or more angles at slow speed the steering shutters a bit, which is felt through the steering wheel. We have driven other big 4x4's but they do not seem to have this. Question is whether others have expereinced this too / does it do harm? / Can it be related to the tyre selection (currently 19" GOOD YEAR Efficient Grip).

2)
When covering the interior trim with carbon vinyl we moved the seats a lot & closed/opened the doors frequently too. At the end of the day the car wouldn't start. We charged the battery from the charge points in the engine compartment and the car seemed to be fine after resetting some of its function. Then it was driven for a 300km drive, but unfortunately most of the track at very slow speed due to road works and an accident. During a longer waiting period I switched the engine off---Result it wouldn't start anymore! What a pain....finally a little Fiat Panda came to save me and with some battery cables it managed to start. Once home I put it on charge again for a whole night.
Questions:
There is apparently some cut-off at 50% battery charge - All functions seemed to be working except the power to the starting motor - Should it not be the other way around?
There was also a symbol - Orange battery + key symbol - Guess this means to replace the battery of the remote, which I will do as pre-caution - but can this prevent the car from being started?
Does anyone know how the system is suposed to be charged ( any specific charger ?) / How do I find the level of charge in the battery?

3) The car came from abroad and has a manual in Cyrillic writing...does anyone have a copy of a 40d owners book...it would help me to better understand the many symbols

Thanks,
Connery

Last edited by Connery1969; 06-28-2014 at 04:26 AM.. Reason: correcting typo
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #2
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep
Drives: ///M

#1 yes. Had the same issue with an E70 X5. Dealership switched out the transaxle and updated the software. Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2014, 09:58 AM   #3
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Another note on #1 - there is an active recall on some front driveshafts on the X5, and this may extend to the X6 as well. It's possible this could be a contributing factor to what you are seeing.

Owners manuals on all the US Spec BMWs can be found here. They may be missing a few things since the 40d isn't sold here, but should cover most features.
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/dgh.aspx
      06-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #4
Connery1969
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW X6 40d  [0.00]
Thank you both for your replies.
The car has an extended repair & service package on it from the previous owner.
So if the shuttering would come from the drive train I just hope it will be covered by the recall or warranty.

Manual is downloaded ...thanks for that.

Further,
Reading more posts on the battery discharge I will commit to buying a C-tek charger with a comfort outlet socket. Running a power cable outside and just hooking that up every week for a night to keep the battery in good shape.
Compared to a "normal" car there are so many system activated by simply opening the doors that it almost seems logical that the battery will drain without making long distance drives.

Just would like to understand above which rev range the alternator actually starts charging. Because most likely in traffic jam driving it will not charge at all.

Thanks,
Connery
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #5
Connery1969
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW X6 40d  [0.00]
Drove the car today up a steep road with very tight turn ( close to 180 degrees).
The front suspension felt like the bolts were not tightened, the tyres didn't want to move and almost like clunking noises from the lower engine bay. These things are difficult to describe, but for sure this is not the way it is suposed to be.
Turning the car on the gravel in the morning, does not reveal the same problem so evidently as there is less friction between tyres & road surface.
Going up the hill today this was differrent, lots of friction - likely acting as an amplifier.

Reading some more forums on M5, X1, E90 it appears lots of people had similar issues, dragging on for months even involving BMW engineers. The most succesful solutions seems to be the replacement of the steering rack ( still need to indentify this part).
However, a gentleman with a new X1 had it replaced and it appeared again & again.

I am hoping to pin point the problem better before going into replacement of the steering rack, transaxle, PS pump & hoses etc.

Is there anyone else who has experienced anything similar ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #6
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Long shot...did you check the PS fluid? Maybe low. Only use Pentosin CHF 11s.

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 05:10 AM   #7
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

I've had the clunking (like a ticking from the suspension) noises, it turned out to be front driver side control arm needed to be replaced. BMW had a bulletin out for it on the X6M.

If you sit in the car with the engine running and just turn the steering wheel all the way left, then all the way right, several times, you should be able to reproduce the noise without driving. If so, it's the same issue, replace control arm.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 06:05 AM   #8
Connery1969
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW X6 40d  [0.00]
Question shuttering during slow speed 90 degrees steering

PS fluid level is spot on ( would have been good if this was the issue)

On other forums (E90) the steering rack came up as most common issue for a similar problem. Looking to find some cross sectional drawings now to see how exactly this part works.

I have checked if there are any active "recalls" but couldn't find any.

The control arm check seems easy enough - so will do that tonight.

The other thing I would like to check is if I can find any bolts that are loose in the steering system.

I will post any findings.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 07:04 PM   #9
crunchingnumbers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6M, 2018 RRS

I've just reported a very similar problem on my 2012 X6 5.0. I changed the tires (well worn) which seemed to reduce the issue but I think it was more my imagination/wishing than anything else.

Took it to the dealer this week and after first driving it, they suggested transfer case. Later today they called me to tell me that they have had several people look at it and have now talked to BMW. The latest idea suggest the differential which after 60k miles surprises me because >90% of my miles have been highway only.

I've no idea what is involved but I've told them that under the early lease termination program, they may be keeping it (depending on how that goes) and I am currently looking for a 2014 model to replace it. I was thinking of getting a 6 series gran coupe (I need 4 doors) but I'm not sold on the profile view or winter set up with x-drive. There are some good deals on 2014 6 series gran coupes right now.

I'll keep you posted on what I learn about my X6, but my symptoms are just as you describe - at low speed (parking) 90 degree left/right turn. Best described as if a piece of hard plastic or other material was rubbing/catching against the tire.

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 04:13 PM   #10
crunchingnumbers
Private First Class
Rep

Update:

BMW have confirmed that mine was the transfer case which requires replacement and will be subject to further engineering review to see why it occurred. As I said I do all highway miles, car has been maintained and not much we as drivers can do to impact it.

$6k and 2-3 days to replace. BMW is covering a good part of the cost. Hope this helps anyone else with a similar problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #11
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connery1969 View Post
I will post any findings.
Did you have a chance to check it yet?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 04:25 AM   #12
Connery1969
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW X6 40d  [0.00]
Thanks all for the replies. Didn't have much time hence late response.

My Update:[LIST][*]PS fluid : Level is OK[*]Control arm : With the car stationary or moving whilst steering hard left to right there is no play or noises[*]Transfer case : As the symptoms seem to match this is still my best option ( unfortunately). I would like to find out more on the functionality of the transfer case & steering system but the internet does not reveal much.

Apparently Workshop manuals are not published in hard or soft copy. If someone knows where to get them please let me know. Happy to pay for it.

The symptoms so far:
Driving UP a twisty very steep mountain road @ very slow speed, sharp steering corners there is the sensation of vibration, creaking components, as if the tyres have too much grip and do not want to turn. The engine (viscous coupling is probably just its biting point ?). It is clearly noticeable and without a doubt not intended to be this way.

Driving DOWN the same hill the symptoms are not/or hardly there.

On a flat parking lot, with the car in DRIVE & maximum steering angle, allowing the car to creep forward, whilst applying very light on/off brake force, the same vibrating, creaking sensation in the steering wheel & bulkhead appear.

Whilst parking in reverse against a very gentle incline, then stopping and applying the foot brake the car is stopped. Following applied the Parking brake and released the foot brake the car rolls forward for 3/4 foot / 20 cm. Reading about automatic gearboxes and parking brakes this seems to be rather normal, but if someone with an rather new X6 could confirm I can rule this out as a contributing factor.

Mid July BMW will inspect the car, but I am somewhat sceptical as several customers were not too happy....Anyway will give it a try as I would like to claim under the extended warranty that is on the car.

Thanks all,
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 02:31 AM   #13
Connery1969
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW X6 40d  [0.00]
We did another test drive with a friend owning an X5. He drove the car and a slow speed performed a slalom type waving over the road. We could both feel a motion that almost felt like the car was " twisting an ankle" --- Wheel bearing ?

We couldn't distinguish front from the rear, but it is very clear now that there is something wrong.

Would love to get my hands on a workshop manual (paid = no problem )
Anyone any ideas ?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #14
Connery1969
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW X6 40d  [0.00]
Did another test drive today with another mechanical brain.
Driving through sharp corner ( car under engine load) the vibration/judder is still there.
Parked in a corner and drove 90 degrees forward - with a little twist of the throtle.
Then in reverse and did the same.
The car now consistently produced the noise, vibration rattle.

Took the wheels of both sides and checked the linkages. No clear clearance could be felt.
Just on the RHS forward hydraulic bushing on the Tensionstrut/lower control arm is seemed the resistance of the bushing was low.
There was no clear sign of leakage, but is felt less resistive than on the LHS.

Does anyone know if this could be the cause ?

We have parked the transfer case until the car is going to BMW for the diagnostics.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 03:31 PM   #15
Connery1969
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW X6 40d  [0.00]
Today checked the tension strut bushes with my daughter behind the wheel

Max. steering angle - with engine off - trying to force the wheel outwards with the steering wheel.
Left & right hand side seem to create a flex in the bush of a few millimeters - appears totally normal.

Max. steering angle - with engine running - trying to force the wheel outwards with the steering wheel.
Wheel turn just a bit more (likely under the increased force of the hydraulics until the real end-stop)
Left & right hand side seem to create again a flex in the bush of a few millimeters - but it appears totally normal.

Then we wiggled the steeringwheel gently left & right.
A clear play in the steering could be heard - See video

(hope the link works -as I could not upload the .mov file)

Question:
1) How much play should there be ( the gears will not some right)
2) Can the play be adjusted or is it plane replacement of the rack

It was getting dark but will check tmrw if thebolts of the rack are perhaps loose.

Any ideas are most welcome
Thanks,
C.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #16
Connery1969
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW X6 40d  [0.00]
Got the car back from BMW with a brand new transfer case. Initial feedback was the front diff was not ok, but picking it up the transfer case was replaced.
We took it for a 700 km drive today and the problems seems to have disappeared. Over the next 4 weeks we will do another 5000 km so that should tell if the repair holds up.

All work and parts were covered under the extended warranty package. Good job by BMW.

The squeaking noise from the suspension is still there. BMW thought that was related to the transfer case as well but this is clearly not so.

Thanks for those showing an interest in this problem. I hope others find it useful.

Connery.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 08:01 PM   #17
crunchingnumbers
Private First Class
Rep

Glad to hear you got it resolved and interestingly it was same problem as mine - transfer case. Similar driving and similar miles - Interesting. Seems that there may be a common problem here for X6 owners.

I had my transfer case changed… and changed the car to a 2014 X6.
Appreciate 0