XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-01-2017, 01:13 PM   #1
oil_burner
California Diesel Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' x5 35d

Exhausts and tunes

I have been looking around for CA legal tunes and exhausts but no luck so far. Does anybody here on the forums have good choices? (PS. I looked at the burger tuning and it seems to not be road legal)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 02:16 PM   #2
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil_burner View Post
I have been looking around for CA legal tunes and exhausts but no luck so far. Does anybody here on the forums have good choices? (PS. I looked at the burger tuning and it seems to not be road legal)
For the tune check Dinan, they are usually CA legal. Exhausts are usually legal across the board as long as they don't remove the cats.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 01:16 PM   #3
oil_burner
California Diesel Guy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd View Post
For the tune check Dinan, they are usually CA legal. Exhausts are usually legal across the board as long as they don't remove the cats.
Oh okay, cool. But I still need help finding the exhausts as they are kinda rare.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 01:50 PM   #4
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

A tune can't be detected by CA smog tests. So it really shouldn't matter.

Last I checked, CA updated the smog testing procedures from a tailpipe sniffer, to just doing an OBD scan. It's faster/more efficient. No stored codes, pass. Also a visual test is performed. So no removing catalytics.

A 2013 model doesn't need smog testing till I think 2019. 6yrs. Unless it was bought 2nd hand, then that's 2017. Or out of state cars, need it upon registration.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 03:16 PM   #5
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
If you're really concerned you can flash back before the inspection or remove the piggyback tune. Maybe shipping is your problem vs legality? If you order from a distributor and not from Burger themselves then you should be able to pick up a BMS tune. Just ask some distributors if they ship to CA.

2020 G01 X3 30e CURRENT M Sport Package
2019 Ford Raptor SuperCrew CURRENT 802A, KN Drop-in, RB Flaps, Husky Well Liners
2012 E70 X5M SOLD Stg 1+ Turbos, DPs, Velos Stg 2+, JB4, Race Cats, Bavauto Coils
2003 E46 M3 SOLD aFe CAI, AP Axleback, SSK, H&R Springs, TMS CMBR Arms, PF RTABs
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2017, 10:24 PM   #6
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd View Post
Oh okay, cool. But I still need help finding the exhausts as they are kinda rare.
True, most aftermarket X5 exhausts are for the x5m's. Check the sponsors maybe. My 50i sounds so good with stock exhaust I live with it as is.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 01:03 PM   #7
oil_burner
California Diesel Guy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post
A tune can't be detected by CA smog tests. So it really shouldn't matter.

Last I checked, CA updated the smog testing procedures from a tailpipe sniffer, to just doing an OBD scan. It's faster/more efficient. No stored codes, pass. Also a visual test is performed. So no removing catalytics.

A 2013 model doesn't need smog testing till I think 2019. 6yrs. Unless it was bought 2nd hand, then that's 2017. Or out of state cars, need it upon registration.
Yeah, it was bought secondhand, but it was cpo. So does that mean I'll still have to get the emissions testing this year?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 02:06 PM   #8
oil_burner
California Diesel Guy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
If you're really concerned you can flash back before the inspection or remove the piggyback tune. Maybe shipping is your problem vs legality? If you order from a distributor and not from Burger themselves then you should be able to pick up a BMS tune. Just ask some distributors if they ship to CA.
Well, from their website it states that with the tune you won't be able to pass California emissions testing. The Dinan tuning intrigues me because they have a CA emissions legal tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 03:25 PM   #9
Jax_415
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Quote:
Well, from their website it states that with the tune you won't be able to pass California emissions testing. The Dinan tuning intrigues me because they have a CA emissions legal tune.
I actually went with the Dinan tune just cuz it's BMW authorize and carb legal. It doesn't make the most Power or Torque like the other tuner tho. But I'm happy with it
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 04:29 PM   #10
BMW-SRT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63sAMG, GLC63sAMG, x5m, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
X2 a distributor\vendor should be able to ship you the Jb4, most of the n54\n55 guys i know with tunes, catless downpipes know a shop that will pass their car's for smog check, you will have to pay more then a normal smog check but it will pass smog check.
Alot of them also use "VRSF Catless Downpipe Fix" to pass smog but I dont know if that will work on the N63\S63
maybe worth contacting VRSF and asking them about it....
on the Jb4 you can disable the tune by setting it to 0
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 11:22 AM   #11
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Quote:
You are mistaking what a dealer can detect with deep diagnostics, vs what CA's CARB is checking for which are JUST CEL's and stored DTC's related to emissions.

The State of CA cannot detect a "tune." They can detect things like stored check engine lights and "poor," tunes that might disable a sensor for emissions, where it actually should have its values tweaked to not be tripped. (i.e. sensor in not ready state permanently)

It's technically against CA law to mess with engine components that disable emissions equipment or will increase emissions, unless you have an exempt vehicle. That's vague enough, but lays the framework for the basics.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2017, 01:22 PM   #12
oil_burner
California Diesel Guy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-SRT View Post
X2 a distributor\vendor should be able to ship you the Jb4, most of the n54\n55 guys i know with tunes, catless downpipes know a shop that will pass their car's for smog check, you will have to pay more then a normal smog check but it will pass smog check.
Alot of them also use "VRSF Catless Downpipe Fix" to pass smog but I dont know if that will work on the N63\S63
maybe worth contacting VRSF and asking them about it....
on the Jb4 you can disable the tune by setting it to 0
Yeah, the problem is that it's a diesel, so I think the emissions testing might be stricter. Anyways, I'm gonna try and find a shop that will pass the car for smog check if I get an exhaust.
Appreciate 0