XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-17-2017, 06:45 PM   #1
2013M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E93 M3 Jerez Black, 13 x5

Garage List
garage door opener

I can't seem to program my 13 X5 opener. I followed the instruction in the manual and doesn't work.

I have a 2013 M3 followed the instructions and it works just fine, on two separate doors (in the same house).

Is there something different about 2013 X5 garage door opener? Is it possible that the opener is defective.

I cleared the memory multiple times as instructed prior to trying different things.

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 07:05 AM   #2
jonniex5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i

If it is a "HomeLink" type set up, there are you tube videos to help.

I had a GMC Acadia I had trouble with and called HomeLink and someone there walked me through it.

Also do you have a learn button on the opener itself?

Are you pressing the learn and car buttons in the proper sequence in the allotted time before either times out of program mode?

Just a few thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 09:10 AM   #3
dudezi
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

as I recall, for the homelink the car has to be really close (right under) to the the garage door opener to be programmed. I have craftman, to program, u press the learn button on the opener, whitin 30sec, press and hold one homelink button, opener lights flash 3 time once sync successfully completed.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 06:49 PM   #4
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

I just did this a few weeks back. I have an X5M, my owner's manual says pg.135, but go to index and look up Universal Garage Door Opener and get the right page.

On that page you'll find the UGDO section and under there is a section called PROGRAMMING. Follow these procedures exactly. With the car in range of the ugdo, program the appropriate button, be sure to start by zero-ing out all the programs. FYI , I parked the truck outside of the garage about 15ft from the door. If it doesn't work, then perform this check...if you did everything right in this procedure, and it's not working, then when you press the programmed button it will flash rapidly and then lights up continuously for 2 seconds indicating that you have an alternating code system.

Then go to the next set of procedures labeled ALTERNATING CODE RADIO SYSTEMS and follow those procedures exactly.

I had a 2013 X5 3.5 and I had to use these same exact procedures back then.

Last edited by argento; 05-18-2017 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 10:30 PM   #5
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Also if you bought it used their may be old codes already set to the past owners garage door. The dealer should have done that but sometimes they forget. so you'll need to erase all old settings first then do the pairing with your garage door. If theirs already a code in their it won't let you just write over it so you need to wipe it clean.

If you've already done that then I'm not sure why you're have an issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 10:57 AM   #6
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

I did this with the wife's E70 and my E70 and hers went fine but mine wouldn't save the freq for some time. I followed some instructions off YouTube that a dealership put up. Both were parked under the opener. In the end I just had to hold the button down longer on mine...like maybe over a minute and it finally saved.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 11:31 AM   #7
halcyon026
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E70 35i

Research programming 'rolling code' or 'alternating code' with homelink.

I seem to remember having to hold a currently programmed opener up to the BMW so it would learn the freq, then you do the usual steps of pushing learn on the motor and pushing the button in the BMW.

05-19-2017, 03:48 PM   #8
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Depends on the opener as well. I have a Sommer opener and I can not get it to accept the homelink program no matter what I try. I just gave up after several days and hours of attempts.

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2017, 12:16 PM   #9
CarFan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 3.5 Premium

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013M3 View Post
I can't seem to program my 13 X5 opener. I followed the instruction in the manual and doesn't work.

I have a 2013 M3 followed the instructions and it works just fine, on two separate doors (in the same house).

Is there something different about 2013 X5 garage door opener? Is it possible that the opener is defective.

I cleared the memory multiple times as instructed prior to trying different things.

thanks.
BMW's are definitely harder to program than others. Setting up with my Porsche barely took 5 mins. I've tried since 2011 to program on various BMWs I've had. Three years ago a friend came over and asked me why I had one of those clunky garage door openers and I explained that I needed it because I couldn't get it to program. He said, try YouTube. I told him he should try Youtube. lol

Well he did and sure enough he programmed it. I don't know which link he used but it involved a video of a guy with an E93. He said it worked on the first try.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 09:03 PM   #10
2013M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
thanks everyone for their advice. I got it to work. Are there TWO versions of the X5 manual?

Here is what the manual I found online says:

Synchronization:
1. Park the vehicle within range of the re‐
mote-controlled system.
2. Program the corresponding button on the
interior rearview mirror as described.
3. Identify and press the synchronization but‐
ton on the system being set up. You have
approx. 30 seconds for the next step.
4. Press and hold the button on the interior
rearview mirror for approx. 3 seconds and
then release it. Repeat this step up to three
times if necessary to complete the syn‐
chronization procedure. When synchroni‐
zation is completed

THIS IS DIFFERENT from the actual book that came with the X5.
Here is what the book (Page 125, online version has it on page 140) that came with the X5 says:

mote-controlled system.
3. Locate the button on the receiver of the device to be set, e.g. on the drive unit.
4. Press the button on the receiver of the device to be set. After step 4, you have approx. 30 seconds for step 5.
5. Press the programmed memory button 1 of the integrated universal remote control three times. The corresponding memory button 1 is now programmed with the signal of the original hand-held transmitter.

anyway, I'm glad it works.....
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2017, 09:08 PM   #11
2013M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Trying to answer my own questions. ...

The copyright date on my hard copy manual says, 2010. The X5 I have is a 2013 model year. The PDF online version copyright year is 2012. So I wonder why mine didn't come with the 2012 version. That would have solved mos tof this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013M3 View Post
thanks everyone for their advice. I got it to work. Are there TWO versions of the X5 manual?

Here is what the manual I found online says:

Synchronization:
mote-controlled system.
3. Identify and press the synchronization but‐
ton on the system being set up. You have
approx. 30 seconds for the next step.
4. Press and hold the button on the interior
rearview mirror for approx. 3 seconds and
then release it. Repeat this step up to three
times if necessary to complete the syn‐
chronization procedure. When synchroni‐
zation is completed

THIS IS DIFFERENT from the actual book that came with the X5.
Here is what the book (Page 125, online version has it on page 140) that came with the X5 says:

mote-controlled system.
3. Locate the button on the receiver of the device to be set, e.g. on the drive unit.
4. Press the button on the receiver of the device to be set. After step 4, you have approx. 30 seconds for step 5.
5. Press the programmed memory button 1 of the integrated universal remote control three times. The corresponding memory button 1 is now programmed with the signal of the original hand-held transmitter.

anyway, I'm glad it works.....
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 07:09 AM   #12
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

I tried this again after giving up a year ago. Took me about 30 seconds to program the opener at my parents house. Would NOT budge at my house. The clicker just won't pair with HomeLink in the car. Tried different angles, distances...no luck.

Did some research. Apparently BMWs have HomeLink 3.0 and it works flawlessly with older garage door openers, rolling codes or not. However, if you have a newer opener, last couple of years or so, they come with HomeLink 4.0. The two are not compatible. You have to get some sort of "repeater" installed to take advantage of HomeLink in the car. The repeater itself comes with a host of issues, range being one of them.

If anyone was able to pair a new garage door opener (HomeLink 4.0/Security+ 2.0) with your car I'd love to know how...

This was bugging me a year ago and it's now bugging me again after reading this thread.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 01:54 PM   #13
2013M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirob View Post
I tried this again after giving up a year ago. Took me about 30 seconds to program the opener at my parents house. Would NOT budge at my house. The clicker just won't pair with HomeLink in the car. Tried different angles, distances...no luck.

Did some research. Apparently BMWs have HomeLink 3.0 and it works flawlessly with older garage door openers, rolling codes or not. However, if you have a newer opener, last couple of years or so, they come with HomeLink 4.0. The two are not compatible. You have to get some sort of "repeater" installed to take advantage of HomeLink in the car. The repeater itself comes with a host of issues, range being one of them.

If anyone was able to pair a new garage door opener (HomeLink 4.0/Security+ 2.0) with your car I'd love to know how...

This was bugging me a year ago and it's now bugging me again after reading this thread.
If that is the case? that's sad. we shouldn't have to be fumbling around trying to figure which version of X or Y we have. It is a premium car. That's why they charge you more - they are supposed to do the homework for you.

geez..
Appreciate 0