XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

05-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
Love_My_X6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X6 35i

Unhappy Going crazy at wrong info on website

I have been waiting on a VIN for more than 8 weeks. I made a few changes in the first 4 weeks up to just the week after getting a production number.

Yesterday I got a VIN and it went into production. Today my car with options came up for the first time on bmwusa.com.

The last change made, four weeks ago, replacing sand beige nevada with Ivory Nappa multi-contour seats was not showing!!! It still listed Sand Beige.

I immediately contacted my CA of course who 'assured me' that he had ordered correctly and he is contacting BMW to see what is what.

I am really bummed. Frustrated. even.

It could only be the bmwusa website that does not have it right and there is nothing to worry about...It seems through searching the threads that there is a precedent for those occurrences.

What if the order at the factory is wrong? Is there any chance of getting it right at this stage of the game?

My new advice...ask for the order screen in a screen shot, every. single. change. I do not see why it is so hard for the dealer/BMW to provide a PDF image of the order in the system.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
jero20
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw x6

Im not sure if this is the rule on every dealer.

But i did sign a paper stating all the things the car was been ordered with, and i have a copy of that paper. If my car didnt come with any of those features, or with more (which is my case cause apparently my salesman decided i needed the cold weather package by himself), i would use that signed agreement or to get a discount or to get the car to the original terms agree, or to not accept the car and go somewhere else and order it again even if takes longer....

Did you sign anything similar?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
Love_My_X6
Private
Rep

I am sure that financially I will be fine and will get a discount if it is not right. All of our transactions have been done by email and I have all of the emails.

I am just hoping that it is only the website that is wrong. OR that it can be corrected.

I was hoping to hear if something similar has ever happened to anyone else and how it worked out.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
Legitimate
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: DEATH TO NlGGERS

From my experience, if it shows the wrong option after it's on or passed the PRODUCTION BEGINS section, then it's going to be built exactly as shown. Before it gets to that, it will show the last dealer-created configuration before you came along.

It is very common to be missing options on the list however.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
Love_My_X6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legitimate View Post
From my experience, if it shows the wrong option after it's on or passed the PRODUCTION BEGINS section, then it's going to be built exactly as shown. Before it gets to that, it will show the last dealer-created configuration before you came along.

It is very common to be missing options on the list however.
You were correct and it is not a website issue, but ordered wrong at the dealer, and there is no changing it now.

However the dealer is going to make it right. I am debating how I am going to proceed. My choices are to either take the car with an additional discount. OR wait a little longer and order what I really want with similar great discount of course. I am leaning toward 50i with my Ivory comfort seats I wanted.

X6 50i, Midnight Blue
(3) REAR SEATS (4UK)
RUNNING BOARDS (328)
PREMIUM PKG (ZPP)
PREMIUM SOUND PKG (ZPS)
TECHNOLOGY PKG (ZTP)
DARK WOOD INTERIOR TRIM (4BN)
IVORY WHITE AND BLACK, NAPPA LEATHER SEAT TRIM (NAEW)
ACTIVE STEERING
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_My_X6 View Post
I am leaning toward 50i with my Ivory comfort seats I wanted.
You are paying $70K+ for something. It should be EXACTLY what you want.

PS - everything happens for a reason...

PPS - where is the Cold Weather Package?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 12:18 AM   #7
Love_My_X6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
You are paying $70K+ for something. It should be EXACTLY what you want.

PPS - where is the Cold Weather Package?
Thanks! I do believe that everything happens for a reason. Cold weather package...The only thing I like is the heated steering wheel. Not a huge thing for me as I park in a garage at home, so it is not usually freezing at start up. No need for back seat bun warmers. No one will be sitting in the back for most always. It is just not big items for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 12:48 AM   #8
Legitimate
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: DEATH TO NlGGERS

Quote:
You were correct and it is not a website issue, but ordered wrong at the dealer, and there is no changing it now.

However the dealer is going to make it right. I am debating how I am going to proceed. My choices are to either take the car with an additional discount. OR wait a little longer and order what I really want with similar great discount of course. I am leaning toward 50i with my Ivory comfort seats I wanted.

X6 50i, Midnight Blue
(3) REAR SEATS (4UK)
RUNNING BOARDS (328)
PREMIUM PKG (ZPP)
PREMIUM SOUND PKG (ZPS)
TECHNOLOGY PKG (ZTP)
DARK WOOD INTERIOR TRIM (4BN)
IVORY WHITE AND BLACK, NAPPA LEATHER SEAT TRIM (NAEW)
ACTIVE STEERING
Get the comfort/multi-contour seats. I ordered a 2011 without it and it literally hurts your body. The running boards mixed with those seats are extra hell since the vertical leg side bolster thingies are overly aggressive... that alone is worth the extra money. I learned the hard way and here I am 10k later.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 07:17 AM   #9
Southernbelle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6 35i

[QUOTE=doug_999;11951535]You are paying $70K+ for something. It should be EXACTLY what you want.

I concur!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #10
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! I do believe that everything happens for a reason. Cold weather package...The only thing I like is the heated steering wheel. Not a huge thing for me as I park in a garage at home, so it is not usually freezing at start up. No need for back seat bun warmers. No one will be sitting in the back for most always. It is just not big items for me.
No seriously, get it. The heated steering wheel alone is worth the cash. You are in the garage only in the morning. You still have to drive home. Trust me, it is worth it - every darn penny.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #11
Love_My_X6
Private
Rep

Not waiting. I am taking my car on June 6 PCD. Everything does happen for a reason. I think I was not meant to have OCD inducing white leather seats.

Will still try to be the first Midnight Blue photos. By the way, once dealers are getting VIN's on our cars, they will advertise them at their dealer website and cars.com. They all still use the stock image.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #12
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

When I was tracking mine up until about 5 weeks before delivery it was showing as a black 335, BMW is way behind the times in this area.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #13
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
When I was tracking mine up until about 5 weeks before delivery it was showing as a black 335, BMW is way behind the times in this area.
Not trying to be a jerk here (and I've never ordered another from another mfg). But what manufacturer does it better?

I do know that way back when I tried to order an Infiniti, it was a 3 month wait and zero tracking. So maybe someone else does it better (tracking and all), but I'm not aware of them.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #14
Love_My_X6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Not trying to be a jerk here (and I've never ordered another from another mfg). But what manufacturer does it better?

I do know that way back when I tried to order an Infiniti, it was a 3 month wait and zero tracking. So maybe someone else does it better (tracking and all), but I'm not aware of them.
I do not know what other manufacturers do tracking. (I special ordered once before. Took 5 weeks, no tracking)

Regardless of what others do or do not offer, I discovered the mistake after my car was in production because that is when the entire build is updated on the website. Had more information been available mistakes could be avoided. I like more information. Tracking is good. Too little information or too late makes the offering ineffective as a real tool and nothing more than a carrot.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #15
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I do not know what other manufacturers do tracking. (I special ordered once before. Took 5 weeks, no tracking)

Regardless of what others do or do not offer, I discovered the mistake after my car was in production because that is when the entire build is updated on the website. Had more information been available mistakes could be avoided. I like more information. Tracking is good. Too little information or too late makes the offering ineffective as a real tool and nothing more than a carrot.
Playing devils advocate here, couldn't you argue that you knew about the mistake WAY before you would have with any other brand? Your car would have been delivered AND THEN you would have found out it was wrong. But this way, you had the chance to re-order WAY before you would have normally found out.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #16
Love_My_X6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Playing devils advocate here, couldn't you argue that you knew about the mistake WAY before you would have with any other brand? Your car would have been delivered AND THEN you would have found out it was wrong. But this way, you had the chance to re-order WAY before you would have normally found out.

Thoughts?
Not really. Neither would allow the opportunity to make corrections prior to the build. If the options and packages had been displayed prior to VIN numbers assigned it could have made a difference. Otherwise it is a wash.

Oddly enough, the other car I have ever ordered was ordered wrong too by the dealer. It was caught at the same stage as this was, at the time that the VIN number was assigned. In the other case, the dealer caught it and called me rather than the other way around.

I will allow that to track it at all is a nice feature but without accurate or actionable information it is mostly gimmick.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #17
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I will allow that to track it at all is a nice feature but without accurate or actionable information it is mostly gimmick.
I disagree. In both cases the mistake was caught before the vehicle was delivered. That's better than nothing and in no way a gimmick. I'm not disagreeing that faster would be better - but I'll take this system ANY DAY over no info at all. Plus knowing where your vehicle is in terms of production (especially when it is made overseas) is very cool.

PS - Did your dealer really order the last two cars wrong?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #18
Love_My_X6
Private
Rep

Quote:
I disagree. In both cases the mistake was caught before the vehicle was delivered. That's better than nothing and in no way a gimmick. I'm not disagreeing that faster would be better - but I'll take this system ANY DAY over no info at all. Plus knowing where your vehicle is in terms of production (especially when it is made overseas) is very cool.

PS - Did your dealer really order the last two cars wrong?
It is nice to track. And late information is better than none I suppose. It is only the spirit of room-for-improvement that could have had pre-VIN build data updated to the website.

And yes. First case with Buick. The car was ordered on an ordersheet sitting in the dealer's sales office. (I got a copy) The dealer then later made the ordersheet online, keyed in two-wheel drive rather than awd. When the dealer was invoiced with the VIN number weeks later they immediately called me with an appology and a plan. They had a car on the lot with ALL that I had ordered and then some, that they gave me the same deal and price we had agreed on the one now 'on its way' and I got to go right away and take the loaded version on their lot home. Biggest boon was free upsized chrome wheels 3k+.

Current order, BMW allows changes in the order in pre-production mode. I communicated to my CA the desire to change the interior 4 weeks before build week with plenty of time for the change to be made. The information was not input into the build by the dealer.

My bad for not demanding a build sheet both times yeah, but clearly errors on the dealer's sides were made. The dealer concurred that he knew (and we had emails saved) that they erred by not inputing the change.

You'd think I had learned after the first to see the build sheet in black and white.

Last edited by Love_My_X6; 05-22-2012 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #19
macd1995
macd1995
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328CI, 2013 X6 5.0

Garage List
2008 BMW 328 CI  [0.00]
2013 BMW X6  [0.00]
Hot & Cold

Nice to have tracking and be connected to the process... it is just unfortunate that the info is just wrong on the website and the automated number.
Two examples:
1) Website says I don't have AS. BMW contact on 1-800 number doesn't know. So.. CA tells me its in the build. Who do I trust.. unnecessary angst from something that has very good potential.
2) Automated number says Production is complete and waiting to be released to carrier. Website says Production has begun. 1-800 rep says Assembly is complete. She also tells me not to trust the automated response.... so why have it? I have three varying responses.

In a normal purchasing scenario, wouldn't you be able to call you CA or the Car manufacturer to get a more information? I have only ordered from BMW and this is my second. Even though BMW has this option to track, I feel like I am operating blind anyway, so it hasn't been useful... and probably added a small amount of annoyance (smile).

I would say either make it somewhat accurate or eliminate the options that don't work (particularly the automated 1-800 number response)
Appreciate 0