XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-10-2017, 11:30 AM   #1
kipperbmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 3.5D

Timing chain broken on 2010 E70 3.5D

My 2010 X5 (93K miles) stopped working 2 weeks ago while driving. Engine stopped, gear shifted to neutral and never start again. Luckily, not cause any accident on the road. The BMW service replaced in-tank fuel pump first but still not working then said the pressure regulator was the issue. Replaced the pressure regulator and still not working. 3th attend was to replace the high pressure pump. After the technician teared apart found out the timing chain was broken. Now they are asking $9500 to take apart the engine to find out the main cause and replace the timing chain. The worst case is going to need a new motor and will cost around $22000 for parts and labor. What should i do?
Is anyone has this issue?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 12:50 PM   #2
getafewlives
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Wow, that's brutal...

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 12:54 PM   #3
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipperbmw View Post
My 2010 X5 (93K miles) stopped working 2 weeks ago while driving. Engine stopped, gear shifted to neutral and never start again. Luckily, not cause any accident on the road. The BMW service replaced in-tank fuel pump first but still not working then said the pressure regulator was the issue. Replaced the pressure regulator and still not working. 3th attend was to replace the high pressure pump. After the technician teared apart found out the timing chain was broken. Now they are asking $9500 to take apart the engine to find out the main cause and replace the timing chain. The worst case is going to need a new motor and will cost around $22000 for parts and labor. What should i do?
Dude that's a total ! That's more than its worth !

I don't know what to tell you other than maybe it's time to either sell it in its current form for cheap and maybe the dealer will buy it from you and just buy another lower mileage one for that kind of money. I mean for 22k you could buy a newer year with lower mileage, add the few thousand yours gets and you could even get into a f15.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 04:44 PM   #4
fsd350
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d

Garage List
Quote:

That's a bummer. First I've heard of that issue on the M57 or any BMW with that low of miles. Sometimes mechanical parts give way before their time. You can get a warrantied, used engine between $5 and $7k complete. Not sure if it is an "interference" engine but if it's not you may only need to replace the chain, guides, re-time the engine and HPFP. I would run from that dealer. Pretty idiotic that they couldn't diagnose the issue to begin with before throwing parts at it. It is self evident to an experienced tech.

Try this site and find a true BMW master tech in your area. Best of luck

https://www.bimrs.org/
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #5
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

take your x5, park it in the street, and then torch it, then file insurance claim!
but seriously, you have to find an independent shop. the dealer charges crazy money.
if the diesel is not an interference engine, then maybe you can get a new chain installed for a few grand. but why did it break is the question?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 07:07 PM   #6
kipperbmw
Registered
Rep

Talker to the adviser and the shop manager. They can help to file a case to BMW North America but they need to take apart to see why the chain broken first. The cost is $9k. If lucky, BMW will pay part of it.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2017, 10:56 PM   #7
fsd350
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d

Garage List
Quote:
Talker to the adviser and the shop manager. They can help to file a case to BMW North America but they need to take apart to see why the chain broken first. The cost is $9k. If lucky, BMW will pay part of it.
If they don't you are out $9k +$22k to do it their way and BMW will only goodwill a portion, if at all. BTW $9k is ridiculous. If their labor rate is $150 per hour that would be 60 hours! I would still be a technician with that kind of gravy. I stress that you should not let them hold you hostage, you do have choices. If you are not mechanically inclined, please get some other opinions/quotes. Look for a good BMW independent on the link I posted or a dealer that is reasonable and has some real experience in diagnosis and repair. The dealer doesn't own your car (yet), you can have someone else come with you on the DL to take a look at it for free.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 02:01 AM   #8
kipperbmw
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsd350 View Post
If they don't you are out $9k +$22k to do it their way and BMW will only goodwill a portion, if at all. BTW $9k is ridiculous. If their labor rate is $150 per hour that would be 60 hours! I would still be a technician with that kind of gravy. I stress that you should not let them hold you hostage, you do have choices. If you are not mechanically inclined, please get some other opinions/quotes. Look for a good BMW independent on the link I posted or a dealer that is reasonable and has some real experience in diagnosis and repair. The dealer doesn't own your car (yet), you can have someone else come with you on the DL to take a look at it for free.
Thank you! Will call some shop and dealer around my area for more quotes.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 09:31 AM   #9
Ryan5034
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
You need to find another mechanic. Keep in mind the BMW dealer can only perform BMW certified fixes / procedures. There are lots of ways to shortcut a lot of cost without shortcutting the end repair.

If it were my vehicle I'd find a independent repair shop, spend some money and figure out WHAT the problem is then either repair it or go buy an engine from a junkyard and swap it.
Appreciate 0