XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-10-2017, 02:26 PM   #1
friendlystart
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5i M-sport,E24 M635i,E34 535i

Garage List
Buying a 2012 X5 lots of options

Options include:
•The Premium and Convenience Packages include Rear-view Camera and top view, Navigation and Comfort Access.
• Cold Weather Packages include Heated Rear Seats.
•The Technology Packages consist of Head-Up Display, Automatic High Beam assistant and Side-view Camera.
•Premium Sound Package and Satellite Radio.
•Park Distance Control
•M Sport Packages. On X5 xDrive50i, package includes air suspension
•Soft -close automatic doors
•Active Steering

85,000 miles very clean car. $21,000

What is a good extended warranty company. Recommended length of warranty, warranty which covers electronic modules and cameras, etc.

Your help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 03:53 PM   #2
getafewlives
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Sounds like a nice set of options!

From what i have heard, you are better off putting away money into a maintenance fund, than to a 3rd party company for warranty. I don't have any first hand experience, but I have heard that most of those aftermarket warranties won't really cover everything you would expect, like a factory warranty, and often end up being a hassle.

At least if you don't have warranty, you have more freedom to do work yourself, or to find a cheaper option for repairs.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 03:28 PM   #3
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Your X5 sounds pretty much same year and options as mine. Except I got mine a couple years ago and paid a lot more!
I am still on CPO but, I recommend you do some searching on here for aftermarket warranties. Definitely some not-to-old threads and lots of info, including guys with experience with these warranties and names of companies that offer or do not offer them for our vehicles.
Enjoy the ride!
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 12:31 PM   #4
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
OP- Nice buy! I just pulled the trigger last night on what sounds like an identical '12 X35i. Getting an alignment as we speak and the guys here at NTB keep complimenting me on how new the car looks. Nothing like picking these up for next to nothing compared to what they were a few years ago!

I'll second what someone else said on ty warranty comment. Dealership tried selling me a random 3rd party warranty. I've heard way too many nightmares about many of these 3rd party companies who always find loopholes to avoid covering your claims. Probably smart to set aside a few thousand bucks for initial unexpected maintenance (fuel injectors, coil packs, suspensions, etc) and keep a healthy amount in a maintenance fund.

Btw any pics of the new purchase?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 02:19 PM   #5
muddycharles
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M sport

I have my X5 50 Msport listed for sale here

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 04:52 PM   #6
Av8or91
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i M Sport

Hello all, sorry to hijack your thread but I'm Just about to purchase a 2012 x5 35i with the M sport package from the original owner who ordered it with just about every option available at the time. Owner stated he has an extended warranty through BMW but he says it's not transferable. I called BMW North America and they said it is transferable and gave me a number to the company who handles the transfers. Anyone have any experience with this ? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 08:39 PM   #7
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8or91 View Post
Hello all, sorry to hijack your thread but I'm Just about to purchase a 2012 x5 35i with the M sport package from the original owner who ordered it with just about every option available at the time. Owner stated he has an extended warranty through BMW but he says it's not transferable. I called BMW North America and they said it is transferable and gave me a number to the company who handles the transfers. Anyone have any experience with this ? Thanks!
Sounds like a nice X5, you don't see too many with nearly every option (I've still never seen one with every option available).

BMW changed their CPO transfer guidelines a few years back, but it doesn't affect a 2012 model. Looks like it's vehicles that retailed on or after 1/1/2014 -

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte.../warranty.aspx
Appreciate 0