XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

10-19-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
shanew
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6 Active Hybrid

X6 ActiveHybrid - Hybrid Failure

Hi folks -
i had an interesting problem this past week - while driving (~45 mph), i had a sudden failure attributed to the hybrid. it obviously wasn't running in hybrid mode at the time, but suddenly received an alert on the LCD regarding Hybrid Failure. Message was to the affect - "Failure in Hybrid. You can continue driving but performance is no longer guaranteed. Please proceed to your nearest BMW dealer." The car kept running/driving but performance was definitely limited. could only go about 20 mph with no acceleration and was running only on combustion engine. I stopped the car, turned it off, and the restarted. Had the failure very quickly after that. I made it home and turned it off for 30 minutes before restarting. I couldn't repeat the failure but did drive it to dealer to investigate. it's now been at the dealer for 5 days and they have no clue what went wrong. The car was evidently spewing a ton on failures but none of them could be tracked to a particular failure. They reset the car, and have been trying to replicate without success.

Anybody seen anything similar? Any pointers?

thx
sdw
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
launchcontrol
Banned
Rep
Drives: AlpinewhiteM3DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanew View Post
Hi folks -
i had an interesting problem this past week - while driving (~45 mph), i had a sudden failure attributed to the hybrid. it obviously wasn't running in hybrid mode at the time, but suddenly received an alert on the LCD regarding Hybrid Failure. Message was to the affect - "Failure in Hybrid. You can continue driving but performance is no longer guaranteed. Please proceed to your nearest BMW dealer." The car kept running/driving but performance was definitely limited. could only go about 20 mph with no acceleration and was running only on combustion engine. I stopped the car, turned it off, and the restarted. Had the failure very quickly after that. I made it home and turned it off for 30 minutes before restarting. I couldn't repeat the failure but did drive it to dealer to investigate. it's now been at the dealer for 5 days and they have no clue what went wrong. The car was evidently spewing a ton on failures but none of them could be tracked to a particular failure. They reset the car, and have been trying to replicate without success.

Anybody seen anything similar? Any pointers?

thx
sdw

Wow! no wonder they stopped making the hybrids...I dont know why BMW cant get it right...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Not many Hybrids around so not a lot of owner experience to draw on. I would consider talking with BMW about buying it back, since they aren't making it anymore not likely the service department will get very good at trouble shooting this vehicle. Sorry I know not what you wanted to hear.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
Mike van D
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3

+1
      10-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
shanew
Rep

ok...update - after about 10 days of keeping my car, they diagnosed the problem to being the controller in the transmission. it evidently has failed. So now the entertainment begins...they'd like to replace the controller, but it evidently is not replaceable separate from the transmission. So for the last 3 days, the dealer has been asking BMW USA first...and now BMW in Germany...can they replace the controller alone or the entire transmission. And...after 3 days, no response from BMW Germany. Meanwhile, the dealer calls me daily to tell me nothing new. Amazing to watch the bumbling going on. Customer service???

Also...dealer gave me a 528i to drive as a loaner while they collect dust on my car. Wow...what a dissapointment. Love the way the car handles...but terrible for creature comforts and worse on performance. there is huge lag from accelerator to response that creates a jerking motion each time you take off. And the keyless fob was clearly not though through. It doesn't have the touch door entry. so you have to take the key out of your pocket to unlock the car. then when you get in the car, there's no where to stick your fob other than in the cupholder! so you get your key out to unlock, then get in the car and have to put it back in your pocket!

This is my third high end BMW and i have to say...they are going downhill fast!! should be entertaining to watch over the next few days as Laurel & Hardy keep bumbling along. Will certainly keep folks posted!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 12:39 AM   #6
LANDLORD
Turbo Engines are Fun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6M Monte Carlo Blue

Someone said on this board once that the transmission in these vehicles may cost $70,000 dollars?!?!?!?!?!!?!???!?!!!?!!??!!? That will be a big hit in the warranty department, Oh my!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
shanew
Rep

ok folks - here's an update. Problem was root caused to a failed controller unit in the transmission. The controller could not be replaced separate from the transmission...so, getting a new transmission. Can dispel the one rumor that was floating around the forums...it does not cost $70k for a transmission. The actual cost of the hybrid transmission is $8500...which is obviously covered by BMW. The biggest disappointment...2 weeks to diagnose and another week to fix. have not been impressed with the customer service from BMW for sure...dealer (Kuni in Portland) or BMW Germany.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 06:54 PM   #8
AntDX316
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 750xi ///M Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by launchcontrol View Post
Wow! no wonder they stopped making the hybrids...I dont know why BMW cant get it right...
Have you seen the listing of companies that made BMW how it is in the Display Console? Tons of companies. I assume if BMW used Toyota's hybrid which is proven to be successful the cost to have it would be extreme so they did their own route which is indeed inferior to not break patents and the big problems are the result.
Appreciate 0