XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-23-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
bfacosta
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E39 M5, E70 X5d

wiring paddles for X5M steering wheel

I have a 2012 X5d. I recent purchased the X5m steering wheel with the paddle shifters, however due to my car being "LCI" I can't seem to locate instructions on how to wire the wheel so I can use the paddle shifters. Does anyone know how to wire the wheel so that I can use of the paddles?

Thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #2
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Hmmm, well I've never seen a thread where someone pulled this off....or even tried. Lots of us have swapped steering wheels and from everything I read the only X5's that would support paddles w/o additional wiring/work were LCI gas models that had the Sport or M Sport Package.

Good luck though - I bought the X5M wheel myself and love it so hopefully you find a way to get those paddles to work!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 12:49 AM   #3
bfacosta
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E39 M5, E70 X5d

Thank you for your reply. I love the wheel! I am down to pursue wiring and/or whatever it takes at this point. I had to buy a new airbag from BMW so I am already heavily vested in the project. Any direction you can point me to where I might find the wiring kit, etc? Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #4
Gatoferoz25
BeastM3r
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Hmmm, well I've never seen a thread where someone pulled this off....or even tried. Lots of us have swapped steering wheels and from everything I read the only X5's that would support paddles w/o additional wiring/work were LCI gas models that had the Sport or M Sport Package.

Good luck though - I bought the X5M wheel myself and love it so hopefully you find a way to get those paddles to work!
So i have 2012 x5 50i Msport is that straight swap ?
Everything will work just fine even the heating for the steering wheel ?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #5
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoferoz25 View Post
Yes, straight swap and the paddles will work with your year/model.

Not sure on heat - mine isn't heated. I would think if your current wheel is heated and you swapped in a heated X5M steering wheel, it would still work

With all that being said, if you don't already have an X5M wheel, I personally wouldn't go to great lengths or costs to swap it out. You already have an M Sport steering wheel, which is the exact same steering wheel as the X5M wheel in terms of thickness and design. The only things the M wheel will change are -
1 - tri-stitching instead of black (which does look better)
2 - slightly different button configuration on the right side buttons (M wheel has the M mode button. All buttons would still work after a swap, but the button logo won't correspond to it's function…definitely not a big deal).
3 - paddles. If your 2012 was built prior to 10/11, you gain the paddles. If you already have paddles (10/11 build or later) the M paddles have a slightly different look/design, which I think look better. Lastly on the paddles, your 50i has 8 speeds whereas the M has 6….it's so much shifting that I almost never use them…borderline annoying. They look cool though
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 01:58 PM   #6
Gatoferoz25
BeastM3r
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 COMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoferoz25 View Post
Yes, straight swap and the paddles will work with your year/model.

Not sure on heat - mine isn't heated. I would think if your current wheel is heated and you swapped in a heated X5M steering wheel, it would still work

With all that being said, if you don't already have an X5M wheel, I personally wouldn't go to great lengths or costs to swap it out. You already have an M Sport steering wheel, which is the exact same steering wheel as the X5M wheel in terms of thickness and design. The only things the M wheel will change are -
1 - tri-stitching instead of black (which does look better)
2 - slightly different button configuration on the right side buttons (M wheel has the M mode button. All buttons would still work after a swap, but the button logo won't correspond to it's functiondefinitely not a big deal).
3 - paddles. If your 2012 was built prior to 10/11, you gain the paddles. If you already have paddles (10/11 build or later) the M paddles have a slightly different look/design, which I think look better. Lastly on the paddles, your 50i has 8 speeds whereas the M has 6.it's so much shifting that I almost never use themborderline annoying. They look cool though
Thx for all the support my brother finally got it to work and I loved