XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-04-2010, 07:58 AM   #1
rainman50
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2000 540iA

Some questions on the X5M

I'm new to this forum and have been reading posts pertaining mainly to the X5M. I'm a little concerned about the turbos. I have a few questions on the acceleration/shift charateristics of the X5M.

When at a stop and you apply gas (not all the way floored) does it start off quickly or is there any/much hesitation? When you use the shift paddles is there much delay from when you activate the paddles and when the car responds? I'm trying to find a dealer that has one in stock to drive.

I have never had a turbo before but I do have a supercharged Mercedes AMG SLK32 which responds quickly to the accelerator. Since the X5M, even without the turbos, has a decent amount of power, I thought that there would not be much perceived "lag" due to the turbos. I realize accelerator pedal action and paddle shifting are two different things. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks ahead for any input.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
baby huey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

TURBO LAG

The short answer is to look at the torque curve - the full 500 ft-lb is relatively instantaneous. Real driving bears this out, particularly in M mode.
Transmission is extremely responsive.
Turbo's have come a long way.
The X5M is state-of-the-art, IMHO, but you do need to drive one to see if it meets your expectations.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
Northern X5M
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tanzanite Blue M5

There is a slight lag. But you won't notice it at all with normal part throttle driving. It is only WOT blasts that you will notice the lag. The X5M does have a lot of power off idle. Initially I thought that the paddles were very responsive, but my 1/4 mile track times show about +0.5 second slower times than manual shifting with the stick. My manual stick times and auto are about 0.1-0.2 different. I love the transmission in M mode, the shifts are lightening quick and does a good job of keeping the engine in its power band. The RPMs in M mode might be a bit high for daily city driving but man is it effin fun!

Now the turbo lag in my Duramax 2500 HD is wow!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
needspeed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 10 X5 M/05 F430/12 CTS-V Coupe

I have found that if you hit the M button and put the shift in sports mode it will leap off the line. It is much more civilized when not in sport mode and takes off like a normal car without shocking your passengers.......Steve
05 F430 F1 - Giallo
08 BMW M3 Interlagos Blue Metallic - DCT (Traded)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 02:25 PM   #5
Northern X5M
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tanzanite Blue M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by needspeed View Post
I have found that if you hit the M button and put the shift in sports mode it will leap off the line. It is much more civilized when not in sport mode and takes off like a normal car without shocking your passengers.......Steve
Yeah, it is an animal in M + sport mode, also I turn the DSC off.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 02:10 AM   #6
rainman50
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the informative feedback.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #7
Yacht Lights
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

Its has lag but she moves. Love mine have it 14 months just turned 18k on it.
      11-10-2010, 06:20 AM   #8
FLOSS M
///M3
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 X-Drive

I drove the X5M on the M Power Tour about a month ago - The truck is very fast and the power is there, slight lag though. The problem with this truck is the transmission - I have an M3 with the DCT and this is the type of transmission the truck needs. I actually spoke to one of the reps about it from the M division at the power tour. He said the M3/M5/M6 are the heart of the M line and it would have cost too much R&D to have the DCT in the X5M/X6M.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #9
needspeed
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDS335i View Post
I drove the X5M on the M Power Tour about a month ago - The truck is very fast and the power is there, slight lag though. The problem with this truck is the transmission - I have an M3 with the DCT and this is the type of transmission the truck needs. I actually spoke to one of the reps about it from the M division at the power tour. He said the M3/M5/M6 are the heart of the M line and it would have cost too much R&D to have the DCT in the X5M/X6M.
I think what I have found is the lag is not in the engine but as you mentioned is in the transmission. My car jumps off the line the micro-second I hit the gas in sports +M mode. It only hesitates while shifting to second and then it get faster from there 3rd, 4th.....etc. And that may have something to do with the torque limiting they built in to protect the drive train.........Steve
05 F430 F1 - Giallo
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #10
rainman50
Enlisted Member
Rep

Great information about the transmission vs delay.
I was wondering why it did not have the DCT.

Needspeed:
So you think they might torque limit 1st gear and that is what makes it feel like sort of a "lag" until higher gears are entered?

Dave
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 08:13 PM   #11
needspeed
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman50 View Post
Great information about the transmission vs delay.
I was wondering why it did not have the DCT.

Needspeed:
So you think they might torque limit 1st gear and that is what makes it feel like sort of a "lag" until higher gears are entered?

Dave
I know that I read it on this board or on xoutpost, but I am sure they have programmed in some limiting in 1st and maybe 2nd gear. I cannot feel it since I do not know what the car would feel like without limitation. But it makes sense that moving 5K pounds from rest to 60 in 4.x seconds can be stressful on the drive train. Again I do not notice any lag from take-off just that it is a little sluggish grabbing second gear at full throttle.....Steve
05 F430 F1 - Giallo
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2010, 09:22 PM   #12
rainman50
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by needspeed View Post
I know that I read it on this board or on xoutpost, but I am sure they have programmed in some limiting in 1st and maybe 2nd gear. I cannot feel it since I do not know what the car would feel like without limitation. But it makes sense that moving 5K pounds from rest to 60 in 4.x seconds can be stressful on the drive train. Again I do not notice any lag from take-off just that it is a little sluggish grabbing second gear at full throttle.....Steve
Thanks again for the verification and your email response. It gives me more confidence in purchasing the X5M.

Dave
Appreciate 0