XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-29-2024, 08:26 AM   #1
bmwboyee
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

X5D: Best way to clean carbon from block?

I am currently in the process of deleting. I cleaned the plastic intake manifold but there seems to be some considerable build up on the runners from the block.

I currently own an N54 and N55 and understand the process of walnut blasting. it is the same for the M57? Is there a DIY? Is there another way to clean the runners? Seafoam?

Also, I did search but didn't see much.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 09:46 AM   #2
wcs531
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi / E70 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwboyee View Post
I am currently in the process of deleting. I cleaned the plastic intake manifold but there seems to be some considerable build up on the runners from the block.

I currently own an N54 and N55 and understand the process of walnut blasting. it is the same for the M57? Is there a DIY? Is there another way to clean the runners? Seafoam?

Also, I did search but didn't see much.
I have yet to see a good DIY but haven't looked in a while as mine didnt seem to warrant a cleaning. Walnut blasting is much more common on the 335d since it has a slightly different EGR system which results in more buildup. I would search the e90 m57 forum and the facebook group "North american bmw diesel owners".

I'm assuming its almost exactly the same - find appropriate walnut blasting adapters, rotate engine to make sure valves are closed, and blast away. I'm not sure if the two intake runners would make it easier since you can put the vacuum on one and the blaster in the other? Although the runners are longer so more cleaning and harder to see the valves
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 10:02 AM   #3
bmwboyee
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

This guy seems to have a decent video :

Appreciate 0