XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Toyo Proxes STII owners step inside

This is the second set of rear tires I've had on this SUV in a year. When they were first put on they were smooth as silk. After about 3K miles the rear started vibrating around 75 and got worse the faster you drove. I had them re balanced several times and they balance out according to the machine. So I talked to toyo and they warrantied out the rear tires and a new set was put on. They've been fine for the past 2500 miles and now these are vibrating again! It kinda seems like the tires are out of round. My dealership took a brand new set off of another X5 and put on mine just to make sure and it was vibration free. Has anyone else had problems with their Toyo's ?
      11-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
Jlam86
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 e70 4.8i

subscribed. This was going to be my next set of tires...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 06:28 AM   #3
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

yes, I have to replace one front tire due to the same issue (although after 1/2 of its lifespan).

However, before everyone starts with "should've gone with DWS", I bought Contis on my other car and one tire was deffective from the get go (abnormally noisy while perfect from outside). And before I had issues with Dunlops. So far the only brand that was issues-free for me was Bridgestone, interestingly enough....
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
miller
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M

I ran multiple sets of the STII's on my SRT Jeeps without any issue. Great all around tire. Better ride quality than run-flats and handled the road well. They worked great year-round, even in rain, snow and slush. In fact, they are what I used for winter tires. They also worn better than any other tires I ran on those trucks.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

I have no complaints as farad ride and handling. At highway speeds they're whisper quiet,but from 20-45mph they sound like monster truck coming down the road. They're great in rain, no experience with snow. However, I'm wondering what is going on internally with these tires? No bulges or lumps, so I'm wondering if it's a slipped belt or some other structural problem?
      01-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
I have no complaints as farad ride and handling. At highway speeds they're whisper quiet,but from 20-45mph they sound like monster truck coming down the road. They're great in rain, no experience with snow. However, I'm wondering what is going on internally with these tires? No bulges or lumps, so I'm wondering if it's a slipped belt or some other structural problem?
I have to retract my complaint about my Toyo's, simple re-balancing fixed the issue which was probably caused by a lost weight. But yes, the monster truck-like sound @ ~30MPH is there for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
Shiftinggeerz
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 5.0 W/ M PKG

Try Pirrelli Scorpions. They are incredible tires. I have put almost 16M miles on my 22's and there is still lots of tread left. They really handle all road conditions well.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #8
5seriesHB
In The Game!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 535 Msprt/12 X5 5.0 Msprt

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
This is the second set of rear tires I've had on this SUV in a year. When they were first put on they were smooth as silk. After about 3K miles the rear started vibrating around 75 and got worse the faster you drove. I had them re balanced several times and they balance out according to the machine. So I talked to toyo and they warrantied out the rear tires and a new set was put on. They've been fine for the past 2500 miles and now these are vibrating again! It kinda seems like the tires are out of round. My dealership took a brand new set off of another X5 and put on mine just to make sure and it was vibration free. Has anyone else had problems with their Toyo's ?
Have u had a proper alignment yet!
these x's come all messed up from the factory.
I just bought mine a took it straight to the tire shop for an alignment!
just sayin!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #9
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
Have u had a proper alignment yet!
these x's come all messed up from the factory.
I just bought mine a took it straight to the tire shop for an alignment!
just sayin!
Can you get an alignment at any shop or do we have to go to the dealer because of x-drive? Silly question but I have always wondered...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #10
5seriesHB
In The Game!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 535 Msprt/12 X5 5.0 Msprt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog x6 View Post
Can you get an alignment at any shop or do we have to go to the dealer because of x-drive? Silly question but I have always wondered...
Well I wouldn't say any shop
Because some places just suck! But a treasured reputable tires / alignment place should get u situated
Have them check that ur steering wheel is straight inside the cabin as well
Mine was at 2 minutes after 12
It was more annoying than anything
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #11
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
Well I wouldn't say any shop
Because some places just suck! But a treasured reputable tires / alignment place should get u situated
Have them check that ur steering wheel is straight inside the cabin as well
Mine was at 2 minutes after 12
It was more annoying than anything
Cheers
ya for sure - i have a local place thats really good, they did my E90 a bunch of times but was worried about taking the x6 there because of the x-drive etc but glad that non dealers can align these things, feeling like I am due for an alignment.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #12
rh71
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 X5 3.0si

been a few months, was this solved? When the dealer put on tires from another X5 it was obviously with different rims too. Are you sure your set of rims aren't to blame? Cause that's likely the reason why mine vibrate at highway speeds too. I had Proxes ST1 on before, same rims, and it vibrated. I got STIIs on the same rims and the vibration continued despite multiple balances including road force. I'm conviced it's a rim in the rear that's out of round, but I don't drive highway often enough to spend another few hundred.. at least not yet.

'08 X5 3.0si - Alpine White -> more pics <-
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #13
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

I had a 4 wheel alignment done by BMW. I think anyone can do it unless you have the active steer. Then BMW charges $250 instead of $150. Also I had the tires dismounted and just the wheels spun. No out of roundness.