XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

08-01-2008, 07:08 PM   #1
garbagejunk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2002 bmw 330xi

BMW X6 tech review on Cnet

http://reviews.cnet.com/4660-10863_7...html?tag=vid.3

good view of the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbagejunk View Post
Nice review.Thanks for posting! PalBay
      08-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Quote:
nice info...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
I am really glad I ordered HUD now!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2008, 01:21 AM   #5
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
yeah,great in combionation with navigation.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 09:07 AM   #6
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Nice quick review of the most interesting features of the X6... Well done...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 09:08 AM   #7
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
+1

I'm looking forward to driving around with it
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2008, 08:08 PM   #8
akraptor
Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: 35 D

If you get the HUD, trash the polarized lenses. . .
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akraptor View Post
If you get the HUD, trash the polarized lenses. . .
Are you referring to polarized sunglasses or is the actual lens that the image projects through polarized? I did notice that when I drove the X6 50i while wearing my Maui Jim sunglasses, which are polarized, I could not see the HUD image. I had to take them off to see it.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 01:05 PM   #10
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Are you referring to polarized sunglasses or is the actual lens that the image projects through polarized? I did notice that when I drove the X6 50i while wearing my Maui Jim sunglasses, which are polarized, I could not see the HUD image. I had to take them off to see it.
Correct. Polarized lenses cut the HUD brightness by 50-75%. If you turn the HUD abrightness all the way up via iDrive, you can barely see the image.

I passed on HUD this time. I have it in my 645. I like it but only is useful with Nav. 99% of the time it just displays speed and provides little value.

I think HUD is better with M cars as they get the tach on the display.

Whatever is displayed on HUD is already on the intrument cluster and iDrive.

If you never had HUD before it is a great novelty like night vision. Both have been around for years but never really took off in cars. The silly feature does not even show the turn signals being on which would be the biggest value to me.
      08-04-2008, 02:44 PM   #11
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It's due to the HUD color (wavelength) BMW used to display the image on the windshield. It happens to fall within the range that most polarized sunglasses block and hence the brightness of the HUD gets reduced to the point it is barely visible. It also depends on the brand/quality of the sunglasses, some block it more than others.

If you only drive in daylight and in really sunny weather with your sunglasses on, I would suggest you pass on the HUD as it will be of very little use to you. However if you do some night driving or drive in weather that does not require you to wear sunglasses all the time, HUD is a neat add on.

The next generation of HUD is supposed to display a lot more information on the windshield. Including night vision imaging if so equipped! Now that is something I wish they would already offer in the X6!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 02:57 PM   #12
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
It's due to the HUD color (wavelength) BMW used to display the image on the windshield. It happens to fall within the range that most polarized sunglasses block and hence the brightness of the HUD gets reduced to the point it is barely visible. It also depends on the brand/quality of the sunglasses, some block it more than others.

If you only drive in daylight and in really sunny weather with your sunglasses on, I would suggest you pass on the HUD as it will be of very little use to you. However if you do some night driving or drive in weather that does not require you to wear sunglasses all the time, HUD is a neat add on.

The next generation of HUD is supposed to display a lot more information on the windshield. Including night vision imaging if so equipped! Now that is something I wish they would already offer in the X6!
yes,that is a thing that is very annoying,i always have a feeling that is better to wait because after new generaton of HUD ,next will be stronger engines,faceliting....
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 03:20 PM   #13
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda View Post
yes,that is a thing that is very annoying,i always have a feeling that is better to wait because after new generaton of HUD ,next will be stronger engines,faceliting....
True, but if you were to wait for the next generation because they have better features, stronger engines, a new face lift, etc... , you'd be waiting forever

I figure, I'll buy the X6 xDrive50i now (fully loaded) and drive it for about two years. By that time, they should have the new iDrive, new night vision, new HUD and maybe other gadgets out and should have had it on the market for about a year. That should give them enough time to work out any kinks they will most likely encounter with them. Also, by that time, they should have the 'M' version available at which point I would definitely trade the 50i in for the 'M' version
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 03:26 PM   #14
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:

The Lexus LX had the night vision on the windshiled several years ago. I think it is dumb to take you eye off the road to look at iDrive to see night vision. Dumb, dumb, dumb. BMW did it because it was a cheap way to add night vision although not practical or safe. How is it any better than watching TV while driving?
      08-04-2008, 04:01 PM   #15
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

Quote:
True, but if you were to wait for the next generation because they have better features, stronger engines, a new face lift, etc... , you'd be waiting forever

I figure, I'll buy the X6 xDrive50i now (fully loaded) and drive it for about two years. By that time, they should have the new iDrive, new night vision, new HUD and maybe other gadgets out and should have had it on the market for about a year. That should give them enough time to work out any kinks they will most likely encounter with them. Also, by that time, they should have the 'M' version available at which point I would definitely trade the 50i in for the 'M' version
now,that is cool!!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 05:01 PM   #16
Herms
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

nice review. hud is cool, but seems like a very useless feature to me, especially for $1200.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 06:08 PM   #17
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herms View Post
nice review. hud is cool, but seems like a very useless feature to me, especially for $1200.
clever.
Appreciate 0