XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-09-2024, 06:13 PM   #1
cyrusGreat
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X5 35d

Just purchased a new to me 2009 X5 35d and had a few questions regarding side mirrors.

Mirrors don't move at all, seems the the mirror motors have gone out and need new ones. After looking up online, I came to the understanding that it would be either an Eaton or Magna branded and depends on what's inside now. After pulling the motors, it seems it is neither of these 2 from what the pictures show. When looking up parts catalogs for my specific car, it shows the ones mentioned and nothing regarding what's installed now. What am I missing?

I attached a pic showing what's currently on my car

Also wondering regarding the power folding. They fold when I press the button inside the cabin but they don't fold open when unlocking car, although I can hear sounds from the mirrors when pressing the unlock button. They still open when using the button inside but unsure if this is normal operation.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 08:10 PM   #2
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusGreat View Post
Just purchased a new to me 2009 X5 35d and had a few questions regarding side mirrors.

Mirrors don't move at all, seems the the mirror motors have gone out and need new ones. After looking up online, I came to the understanding that it would be either an Eaton or Magna branded and depends on what's inside now. After pulling the motors, it seems it is neither of these 2 from what the pictures show. When looking up parts catalogs for my specific car, it shows the ones mentioned and nothing regarding what's installed now. What am I missing?

I attached a pic showing what's currently on my car

Also wondering regarding the power folding. They fold when I press the button inside the cabin but they don't fold open when unlocking car, although I can hear sounds from the mirrors when pressing the unlock button. They still open when using the button inside but unsure if this is normal operation.
Can't answer the big question, as to the wing mirrors coming open, I have to press the button to open them. They don't open with the unlock, although I believe you can code that function in.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 07:30 AM   #3
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Yes, I coded mine to fold on lock. When I unlock the car they unfold. I don’t recall if they were fully manual before coding, I’m sure someone can fill in here…
      01-11-2024, 09:41 PM   #4
Greggo
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35i, 535xiT, 525i, F800

Very odd that both mirrors would fail, all four motors. The motors are very reliable.

I would look for something common first, check the mirror switch and make sure there is not any blow fuses. You have scanned the vehicle, any errors in memory? The mirrors move from signals on the LIN bus. Do the door modules all scan good?

Scan before throwing parts at it. I have never had a mirror motor go out. Broken glass, bad electrochromic bleed, but never a failed motor.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 09:49 PM   #5
cyrusGreat
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
Very odd that both mirrors would fail, all four motors. The motors are very reliable.

I would look for something common first, check the mirror switch and make sure there is not any blow fuses. You have scanned the vehicle, any errors in memory? The mirrors move from signals on the LIN bus. Do the door modules all scan good?

Scan before throwing parts at it. I have never had a mirror motor go out. Broken glass, bad electrochromic bleed, but never a failed motor.
So it's definitely the mirror motors, the passenger one works only left and right but only very very slightly. I can hear the motor turning when I use the switch so it seems the gears are broken inside the motor itself. No alone fuses and no errors in the memory so it's definitely a mechanical failure. I'm mainly having issues sourcing the exact part as I don't have a part number nore can I find a part number that matches up to my specific Vin and what is installed
Appreciate 0