XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

03-01-2016, 02:00 PM   #67
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
Maybe, but we won't clog the roadways like ya'll do with your cruising in the passing lane and coming to a full stop before making anything resembling a turn.

Seriously, starting at age 65 all drivers should have to take the full "I just turned 16 and I'm getting my license for the first time" test every year, not just sitting at a computer every 4 years and correctly identifying a stop sign.
Even though I am 68, I totally agree with most of your suggestion, but every year is too much!!
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 03:55 PM   #68
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Even though I am 68, I totally agree with most of your suggestion, but every year is too much!!
Think you need some sort of sliding scale. Not that this is true for you, or any one person specifically, but at least based on my experience with my grandparents and whatnot I think you age a year every year until maybe 75, then 2-3 years every year until 85, then 5 per year thereafter. Speaking from experience with a few people in their late 90s. Would love to see something like take it at 70, 75, 80, then every two years. Even if not a road test maybe something like a reaction time test on a computer or something and if you pass that you're good otherwise road test.

Think a lot of family members would support it for another reason as well, eliminates the fight with dad when he shouldn't be driving anymore and insists he'll give up his license when you pry it from his cold dead hands. At least this way the DMV is to blame.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 04:17 PM   #69
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

why do WE have to be the ones steroetyped for being aggressive? I'm in the Bay Area and the biggest idiots on the road are Prius drivers, hands down.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 08:59 PM   #70
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Lifted P/U truck drivers down here and Toyota Corolla S. I have never seen a Toyota Corolla S driver operating at or anywhere near the speed limit. They tailgate like mad and cut in and out of traffic as if they are insane.
Also in the south. Add minivans and 90'S rice out Hondas to the list.
      03-03-2016, 08:48 AM   #71
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJP86 View Post
why do WE have to be the ones steroetyped for being aggressive? I'm in the Bay Area and the biggest idiots on the road are Prius drivers, hands down.
The Prius guys on the East Coast are huge fans of turning into traffic with their little putt putt cars and no possible way there's a big enough gap for them to complete the turn and get up to speed so as not to disrupt flow. Then I am the asshole for almost hitting them after slamming my brakes in my ozone destroying evil mobile.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2016, 09:49 AM   #72
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

It sounds like some people are over-thinking BMW ownership.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 11:19 AM   #73
FType22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
The Prius guys on the East Coast are huge fans of turning into traffic with their little putt putt cars and no possible way there's a big enough gap for them to complete the turn and get up to speed so as not to disrupt flow. Then I am the asshole for almost hitting them after slamming my brakes in my ozone destroying evil mobile.
I'd rather be an aggressive driver than completely oblivious. Good to know the Prius stereotype is true nationwide
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 01:35 PM   #74
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJP86 View Post
I'd rather be an aggressive driver than completely oblivious. Good to know the Prius stereotype is true nationwide
I may or may not have been involved in the following incident. Driving in the left lane of a 4 lane busy road, 2 lanes each way. From the far left a Prius pulled out to execute a left turn, narrowly missing two lanes of traffic and completing her turn in front of BMW. BMW laid into the brakes and hit the horn before passing her on the right. Stopped at light Prius flips off BMW and calls him an asshole for honking at her. BMW then may or may not have flicked a lit cigarette and her precious little eco mobile.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 02:03 PM   #75
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Thank YOU. The dicks that used to drive BMWs now own Audis.

Go to any BMW CCA meet. The guys in the club are professional, usually in their 40s/50s, and very down to earth. They don't wear flashy clothes or talk like their shit doesn't stink. Go to a BMW CCA track event, you'll meet even cooler BMW owners. These guys are very awesome, they'll help you prep your car if you need help even.
Attached Images

03-03-2016, 08:07 PM   #76
Three Pedal Steve
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 coupe' 6mt

Garage List
I try to single handedly reverse the bad rap BMW drivers have. Blinkers, car spacing, and letting people in. Besides I am so paranoid about my M3, I give all these distracted drivers a lot of space.

What's the difference between a BMW and a porcupine?
With a BMW the pricks are on the inside.

memories: '71 2002 (new), '72 Bavaria, '74 2002tii, '00 540i Sport
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2016, 10:19 AM   #77
aajjcc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
What I also see more often than not are other drivers trying to screw with me because I drive a high end car, not necessarily a BMW. When I put my blinker on to change lanes, they speed up. Or trying not to let me in on a merge. Seriously?!?! You're going to lose.
This. Happens to me all the time. Just this morning a prius was going 50 on the fast lane so I switched lanes to pass him. He attempted to speed up and block me, but I let her rip, got in front by a good distance, yet I still heard him honk from far back.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 10:52 AM   #78
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MkaSs View Post
Hello Everyone,

This will be my first post, so please feel free to tell me what's what. I will try to do my best not to offend anyone.

The reason for this post is my overall dissatisfaction with the way the public(at least it seams to me) views BMW drivers/owners. If you see the commercials(Audi in particular), look up BMW memes, or ask anyone what they feel or think, it is pretty much the same thing. BMW drivers are D..... B..'s, A..Holes, Jerks, and D...'s. We don't use our blinkers, follow to close, or just act like we own the road. I for one feel that I am an upstanding driver. I get upset at people, not just BMW drivers, when they don't use blinkers, merge nicely, or just don't pay attention. I get upset at myself if I don't use my blinker. I try to be as courteous as possible. I let people merge, I drive slow in parking lots and residential areas. I we wait while someone pulls out or backs into a parking spot. Overall I think people as a whole need to be more aware and pleasant towards each other. Driving is no different. My wife owns a Subaru WRX and it is very nice to see EVERY OTHER person in a Subaru waving. I would like to see the same friendliness between BMW drivers. I'm always waving to other BMW drivers and rarely do I get a wave back. I would also like to see or hear a change in the way the world perceives us. I'd like to ask everyone to please be mindful of others on the road. Don't speed up to block someone from entering the highway. Use your blinkers, they are free to use(from a BMW meme), and use the golden rule. Treat others they way you would like to be treated, it's simple, it's basic but it would change everything if everyone practiced it. So please tell me you'll show everyone that BMW drivers aren't the tools they think we are!
Yeah no one is going to wave at you, these aren't WRX's or Wranglers or Vettes, most people who drive a 3 Series is just as aloof as anyone else on the road.

I think you're putting too much weight into perceived stereotypes because honestly I couldn't care less.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 10:57 AM   #79
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em135eye View Post
I love the Corvette thing;
"I have a Corvette therefore I rule."

They're getting better and they're quick but they're still from the 1990s inside and the 1970s for suspension technology.
Magnetic suspension that can adjust faster than any other suspension system on the planet is 1970's technology?

Someone should ask Ferrari why they're paying GM to use 1970's technology in their suspensions.
Appreciate 0